can anybody reccomend a Motherboard for an I5 ?

dazling

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Right I have already an i7 2.8 socket 1156 cpu and motherboard to suit but was looking to update it so I have usb 3.0 and Sata III, I have looked at maybe a pcie card with usb and sata 3 but they all seem to be for a pcie x4 slot which I don't have so looking at getting a Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail but not sure what motherboard to get I would go for an i7 again but just cant afford the £90

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks peeps

oneman I was looking at GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard - Aria PC myself but was turned off it
because there are only 2 sata 3 slots although prob wont need anymore than that.

Thanks peeps

oneman I was looking at GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard - Aria PC myself but was turned off it
because there are only 2 sata 3 slots although prob wont need anymore than that.

How many ssd are you planning on adding ?

Asrock boards seem to have 4 x Sata 3 but I suspect you won't be able to RAID across all 4 as it will almost certainly be 2 via Z77 and 2 via 3rd controller chip

ASRock Z77 Pro 4 S1155 Intel Z77 ATX Ivybridge Ready Motherboard - Scan.co.uk

only 2 for now but maybe more in the future when the price drops and bigger drives are available

You can get add on SATA cards pretty cheap else go for something like the ASROCK.

For what it's worth, PCI-e x4 cards fit and work in "full size" PCI-e slots. Or is it that you've got an mATX board?

With Ivybridge, the are few reasons to go for the i7 over the i5.

im not a expert on the subject.. but have u had a look on that well known auction/buying site....

ok I went for the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard with the
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
I already have 16Gb of ballistic Ram so all should be good

Thanks for ya help peeps

ok I went for the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) ATX Motherboard with the
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
I already have 16Gb of ballistic Ram so all should be good

Thanks for ya help peeps

You looking at getting a better cooler ? You should be able to get 4GHz or more fairly easily with better cooling.

You got the same as I have. GREAT Mobo.
BUY a Big Cooler that will fit onto mobo and in the Tower case. I built my own just before xmas 2012 and it is the BEST I have ever had. Using one ssd drive (for OS & programs) and 5 internal HD drives. DVD Writer & DVD-Cd Reader installed. Useing a Zalman 9 + Tower. Wish I had a longer Tower though as I can not fit Plug n Play slots in front of tower as motherboard capacitors stop them.

Back