Call for Scottish Olympics team

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
The Scottish Government has repeated its calls for Scotland to have its own, separate team at the Olympics.

Ministers believe it would be good for Scotland's sport and standing and the SNP wants to hold a referendum in 2010 - two years before the Games in London.

However, Labour said the Nationalists were being petty and should share Britain's pride in Team GB.

The Beijing Olympics saw cyclist Chris Hoy earn the accolade of Scotland's greatest Olympian with his three golds.

His three medals helped Great Britain to its best performance for a century but if the Scottish Government is successful in its bid, Team GB in future will not include Scotland.

Sports Minister Stewart Maxwell pointed to the success of nations such as Jamaica as proof small countries can make an impact at the Olympics and believes a separate Scottish team could achieve great things. Scotland can compete on the world stage - we proved that in the Olympics - and a Scottish team at the Olympics is the future

Stewart Maxwell
Sports Minister

He told BBC Scotland: "If you look at Jamaica, a small island nation, they won gold, silver and bronze in the women's sprint, they've got world records, they've won the men's, the women's 100 and 200 metres and the relay.

"This is an exceptionally brilliant nation - at the same time a small nation. Scotland can compete on the world stage - we proved that in the Olympics - and a Scottish team at the Olympics is the future."

However, Labour said most Scots took pride in the achievements of the whole of Team GB, with Scotland's own success making it extra special.

Frank McAveety, Scottish Labour sports spokesman said: "I'm absolutely passionate about Scotland and I want Scotland to do well, but I'm also exceptionally proud of team GB's performance in the Olympics. I don't see why I should be asked to make a choice between those two."

Meanwhile, Labour leadership contender Cathy Jamieson has called for Scotland to have its own Year of Sport in 2014.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7579124.stm

Out of interest does anyone know how many medals Scotland would have got in China had they been there on there own ?

I hope this doesn`t happen,much better the whole country sticking together.

More bollocks from the Scottish Parliament. Forget moaning about the cost of the London Olympics; how many millions have this crowd of third-rate chancers flushed down the cludgie?

Why?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

it makes me angry because the Olympics are all about unity etc, for instance there are no winners at the games per se, you dont get a country saying "we won the games" - only a tally of medals etc.

Nara is quite correct about the scottish executive, they are just posturing for attention at the moment. Thank god the SNP wont be in power after the next elections...

Great idea we could bring in some new sports.

The hundred parking meter dash(1st to rob 100 wins)

The Harry Potter Freestyle (Jakie Rolling) steal a beggers wine bottle

Great idea we could bring in some new sports.

The hundred parking meter dash(1st to rob 100 wins)

The Harry Potter Freestyle (Jakie Rolling) steal a beggers wine bottle

Too true Rab. Here's the commonwealth games agenda ;)

OPENING CEREMONY
The Commonwealth flame will be ignited by a petrol bomb thrown into the arena by a native of the Easterhouse area of the City, wearing the traditional costume of balaclava and shell suit.

THE EVENTS
Glasgaes previous competitors have not been particularly successful.
In order to redress the balance some of the events have been altered slightly to the advantage of the local athletes...

100 METRES SPRINT
Competitors will have to hold a video recorder and a microwave oven (one under each arm) and on the sound of a starting pistol a police dog will be released 10 metres behind the athletes.

110 METRES HURDLES
As above but with added obstacles, ie car bonnets,hedges,gardens, fences, walls etc.

HAMMER
The competitors will be allowed to make a choice of hammer,(Claw,Sledge etc.)
The winner will be the one who can cause the most grievous bodily harm to members of the public within their allotted time.

WEIGHTLIFTING
From a standing position competitors will have various electronic goods placed in their arms. In order to complete a lift these must then be taken through the shop door and placed in a mate's van.

FENCING
Entrants will be asked to dispose of as much stolen jewellery as possible within five minutes.

SHOOTING
A series of targets will be set up to establish the competitor's ability over a range of disciplines The targets to be as follows:-
1 - A Moving Police Van.
2 - A Post Office Clerk.
3 - A Bank Teller or Securicor Driver.
4 - Their next door neighbours youngest child.
NB - This target to be followed by the ritual cry of 'I thought he was a Bizzy' or 'He pulled a knife on me'.

BOXING
Entry to be restricted to husband and wife teams and will take place on every Friday and Saturday night of the games.
The husband will be given 15 pints of Stella, and the wife will be told not to make him any tea when he gets home.
The bout will then commence.

CYCLING TIME TRIALS
Competitors will be asked to break into the Glasgae University bike shed and take an expensive mountain bike, owned by some Mummy's Boy from the country on his first trip away from home. - Against the clock.

CYCLING PURSUIT
As above however this time the break in must occur at Police Station and must be witnessed by an officer.

TIME TRIAL
The competitor who can waste the most of the court's valuable time before being found guilty will be adjudged the winner.

MODERN PENTATHLON
Amended to include mugging, breaking & entering, flashing,joyriding and arson.

THE MARATHON
A safe route has yet to be decided, but the competitors will be issued with sharp sticks and bags with which to pick up dog ****, crisp packets and used hypodermic syringes on their way round.

MEN'S 50Km WALK
Q - Why does the Clyde run through Glasgae?
A - Because if it walked it would get mugged.

Therefore for safety reasons this event has been cancelled.

RELAY
Each of four competitors to remove an appliance of their choice from a house in Kilbride and get it back to Glasgae using at least four different stolen cars.

ARCHERY
Each competitor will be given three needles, the winner will be the person who gets nearest to three different main veins in their own body.

DISCUS
Will be decided by which contestant can get a hubcap off a car and throw it to his mate the fastest.
In addition the following 'exhibition events'designed at promoting the local culture will be introduced.

PILLOW EATING
The contestant who can get the most pillow in their mouth after their 18 stone cellmate takes a shine to them will be adjudged the winner.

:proud:

Out of interest does anyone know how many medals Scotland would have got in China had they been there on there own ?

as far i know Triple gold medal winner Chris Hoy, 32, will be joined by silver winners canoeist David Florence, 26, rower Katherine Grainger, 32, and fellow cyclist Ross Edgar, 25.

and to my knowledge only Chris hot and David Florence are the only one to win onw their own the rest have been in a team with other members of the UK nations,

so 3 golds and 1 silver.

I could be wrong and of so can you please correct me.

Source

it is the scotsman so it could be xenophobically biased :p

Last edited:
We have our own national football and rugby side so why shouldn't we represent ourselves at the olympics?

@ Karym, your ideas of what the olympics are all about is based on a fairy tale.

Anybody know how many medals Scotland has won in the whole history of the Olymoics? and how many they would have won without the English lottery money paying for the training

Anybody know how many medals Scotland has won in the whole history of the Olymoics? and how many they would have won without the English lottery money paying for the training

So we don't buy any lottery tickets in Scotland or Wales then? that's funny I won a tenner last night :banana::banana:

Do I detect a hint of sour grapes?

'english lottery money', PMSL.

herbie rides again... ya knob

Back