Buying a car at auction

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gents, tomorrow I'll be buying a car at auction and in the listing it states that it is VAT Qualifying, I presume this means that VAT is included already and will be shown in the invoice? Can anyone confirm?

The Munkmaster delving into the world of used cars! :err:

Whatever next?!

i dont know about vat m8 , but i do know that there is a seller and buyer fee after auction ends . only small so maybe that is the vat?

The Munkmaster delving into the world of used cars! :err:

Whatever next?!

You know me better than that, it's for the au-pair mate. I'm trying to introduce her to the wonderful world of dogging.

make sure when you buy check few similar car prices, what price they are going. Also ask the driver who brings the car for auction how its driving. Make sure check the body, also service history and if mileage is guaranteed or not.

Vat is normally included within the bid price, but they charge you percentage on top. Depends on the auction company, and depend on the price of the car. For my 5000 Golf I had to pay around 250 pound commission.

Also normally these cars have NO MOT or tax with them.

And you have to wait for that to be sorted before you can tax it.

You will find many traders there, so bid carefully.

Gents, tomorrow I'll be buying a car at auction and in the listing it states that it is VAT Qualifying, I presume this means that VAT is included already and will be shown in the invoice? Can anyone confirm?

its something to do with when you have your own business, you can put it through the books i think m8, doesnt affect joe bloggs.

make sure when you buy check few similar car prices, what price they are going. Also ask the driver who brings the car for auction how its driving. Make sure check the body, also service history and if mileage is guaranteed or not.

Vat is normally included within the bid price, but they charge you percentage on top. Depends on the auction company, and depend on the price of the car. For my 5000 Golf I had to pay around 250 pound commission.

Also normally these cars have NO MOT or tax with them.

And you have to wait for that to be sorted before you can tax it.

You will find many traders there, so bid carefully.

I'm going to pop into BCA tomorrow, unfortunately I haven't had time to aclimatise myself to car auctions but I'm pretty disciplined and will not stray from my budget. I'll read into commission charges tonight and ask any questions once I'm at the auction. It's just that VAT Qualifying and VAT Marginal had me a tad confused.

Thanks for your input. :Cheers:

A tip someone once gave me. You'll quickly spot the traders that are there (camel-hair coats & cigars.....) the guys who buy numerous cars, Glass's Guide etc. If they don't bid on the motor you're interested in it's either a pile of poo or over-priced.
Good luck,
HH.

If they don't bid on the motor you're interested in it's either a pile of poo or over-priced.
Good luck,
HH.

That's a fair point mate, now I'm praying that one of them bids on it.

I better look into this Glass Guide, 20 years ago it was all about Parkers.

i bought a car from auction about 3 years ago vectra sri 03 plate 83000 miles only payed £1800 inspected it and drove like a dream on the way home i noticed that the speedo needle was kind of bouncing in sted of smooth up n down , found out that when the needle bounced its been clocked might help ?

i bought a car from auction about 3 years ago vectra sri 03 plate 83000 miles only payed £1800 inspected it and drove like a dream on the way home i noticed that the speedo needle was kind of bouncing in sted of smooth up n down , found out that when the needle bounced its been clocked might help ?

I'll keep an eye out for that when they drive the car in, I really should be taking a mechanic with me but I don't have the option.

A HPI check tonight and a once over in the car park is all I'm really capable of lol.

you can text the reg to carspotter on 86007 and that will tell you if there is any outstanding finance , stolen . of written off it worth doing for £3 :Clap:

Last edited:
A tip someone once gave me. You'll quickly spot the traders that are there (camel-hair coats & cigars.....) the guys who buy numerous cars, Glass's Guide etc. If they don't bid on the motor you're interested in it's either a pile of poo or over-priced.
Good luck,
HH.

not always true m8.

just because the traders can't see a wage in it doesn't always mean it's not a bargain for joe public.
you takes your chances at auction.

@munkey glass's guide is and has always been the trade bible.
Parkers is for chancers from essex. :)

you can text the reg to carspotter on 86007 and that will tell you if there is any outstanding finance , stolen . of written off it worth doing for £3 :Clap:

That really could come in handy tomorrow, thanks I appreciate that.

not always true m8.

just because the traders can't see a wage in it doesn't always mean it's not a bargain for joe public.
you takes your chances at auction.

@munkey glass's guide is and has always been the trade bible, parkers is for chancers from essex.

I didnae say it was true, only a tip someone once gave me :nerner:
Any more lip & I'm changing my avatar :banana:
Good luck anyway Munkey
HH.

@munkey glass's guide is and has always been the trade bible, parkers is for chancers from essex.

And both are fucked due to the recession.

In Feb, my old Zafira was worth £1200 more than what both guides advised. My insurance assessment guy offered me £1200 less than what they were actually selling for. He told me that he had gotten his price from both Glass's and Parkers, so I told him to take the money he was offering me and get me the same car, same age and same mileage but he couldn't, the prices had shot up.

always make sure you note down what time you payed for the car /van or have them to write it on receipt as you have 24 hours from then to bring the car back if you find any faults !

always make sure you note down what time you payed for the car /van or have them to write it on receipt as you have 24 hours from then to bring the car back if you find any faults !

Really? I assumed that once you had paid for the car that was pretty much it.

Times seem to have moved on from the bad old days of getting screwed by unscrupulous auction houses.

And both are fucked due to the recession.

In Feb, my old Zafira was worth £1200 more than what both guides advised. My insurance assessment guy offered me £1200 less than what they were actually selling for. He told me that he had gotten his price from both Glass's and Parkers, so I told him to take the money he was offering me and get me the same car, same age and same mileage but he couldn't, the prices had shot up.

with a write off that's always your best strategy m8.

tell them to repair it or replace it and watch the cash offer shoot up.

Back