Mobile Phones bt: cancelling contract,any ideas

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok im currently 2 months into a 12 month contract with bt for bb phone and tv
paying 50 quid a month for full tv and upto 20mb broadband

now in the first month i had nothing but trouble with the vision and broadband
rang and complained got passed from pillar to post-after week 5 the vision worked and finaly got more than 2mb broadband

now on week 9,vision is playing up again,broadband has dropped down to 1.8mb the service and "customer support" is nothing short of shocking

i want out of this,the product just isnt worth the cost,i could get better speed with a bleeding 3 dongle-but i cant find any loopholes to get out of it without them trying to sting me for 400 quid

anyone got any ideas on how to end it

cheer

I feel your pain m8
I had horrendous customer service issues with them. They discounted my BB and then u turned on it sayingit was a one month discount. Their billing system is shite andi got 4 diiferent answers to one question. The indian call centre was a joke. One of the girls could hardly speak English.
In the end i got so fookin angry i told them to stick the whole lot up their arse.
I told them to tell me what i wouldhave to pay to get the whole thing cancelled and i would pay thm there and then. They couldnt even do that. In the end it took me 3weeks to get the final bill of £280.
I have vowed that i will never deal with Bt again.
Lucky enough when i moved into my new house i was able to get sky to install the telephone line as the house is a new build.

are you on the free calls 6 till 6? if so i hear they are changing it to 7 till 7 so wouldnt that enable you to cancel due to change of terms?

i do belive we are,i got an email a week back saying about the change of times

I feel your pain m8
I had horrendous customer service issues with them. They discounted my BB and then u turned on it sayingit was a one month discount. Their billing system is shite andi got 4 diiferent answers to one question. The indian call centre was a joke. One of the girls could hardly speak English.
In the end i got so fookin angry i told them to stick the whole lot up their arse.
I told them to tell me what i wouldhave to pay to get the whole thing cancelled and i would pay thm there and then. They couldnt even do that. In the end it took me 3weeks to get the final bill of £280.
I have vowed that i will never deal with Bt again.
Lucky enough when i moved into my new house i was able to get sky to install the telephone line as the house is a new build.

tell me about it,last time i called ,got the indian call center and a girl with a really thick accent after a few mins of her repeating everything i said i asked if i could speak to someone who had english as there first language or at least somebody i could understand

she then told me she doesnt have to take offensive language like that and hung up--wtf i was polite and i felt, remarkably calm considering -didnt swear or anything,but apparently asking to speak to someone i could understand is offensive??

I too feel your pain and frustration mate.
Been there , done that and bought the call center T shirt.
I had all the problems with BT.
I started off with 4.5 meg on an 8meg deal, which dropped down to below 1meg at times.
They tried telling me that my line was at fault and thats the maximum it would support.
it would have cost me in penalties to cancel the contract!
So i kept a log of the Speeds and trust me they dont want to know unless it drops below the levels of dial up speed.
Luckily i only had 2 months left on an 12month contract, so i stuck it out and great pleasure in telling them wher they could stick their crap BB service.
Went ADSL2 on LLU with O2 and have never looked back since.
I'm paying for 8meg and getting 6.5meg.
Which when you consider i live 3miles from my exchange thats not that bad.
Better customer service than BT and i would recommend O2 to anyone.
BT are just SH*T mate.

you dont seem to have much luck with any provider, i think ive said it before you need someone out to look at your wiring,

when i first switched to adsl i was getting the same crap as you, stated levels and getting much lower, turns out we had one dodgy old wire and it affected the whole lot,

we got the 24mb BE and i wasnt even getting anything remotely close to it i mean way off, got them out they changed the wire after some investigation and i was almost getting the full whack even though im a few miles from the exchange.

your a few miles further from me but you should still be getting good speeds.

its a common problem, crap wiring affects speeds and its there responsibility if its anything before the white socket.

only thing is you risk the bill if its found theres no fault there end,

if i was you i'd create a fault on there end somehow just to get someone out fee free.

you dont seem to have much luck with any provider, i think ive said it before you need someone out to look at your wiring,

when i first switched to adsl i was getting the same crap as you, stated levels and getting much lower, turns out we had one dodgy old wire and it affected the whole lot,

we got the 24mb BE and i wasnt even getting anything remotely close to it i mean way off, got them out they changed the wire after some investigation and i was almost getting the full whack even though im a few miles from the exchange.

your a few miles further from me but you should still be getting good speeds.

its a common problem, crap wiring affects speeds and its there responsibility if its anything before the white socket.

only thing is you risk the bill if its found theres no fault there end,

if i was you i'd create a fault on there end somehow just to get someone out fee free.

dont i know it mush,virgin apparently dont have the wiring here so they wont supply me,bt who according to them have just upgraded round here still cant supply a decent speed,o2 were shite,there great with owt to do with my mobile,but t'internet they didnt want to know

the vision itself seems ok(when it works) but the bb is essentially costing me 24.99 a month for an average of 1.85mb-but i needed unlimited -the upto 8mbs is much cheaper but its capped and i aint sure but i believe the vision uses part of your allowance too so im fucked all ends up with bt

dont i know it mush,virgin apparently dont have the wiring here so they wont supply me,bt who according to them have just upgraded round here still cant supply a decent speed,o2 were shite,there great with owt to do with my mobile,but t'internet they didnt want to know

the vision itself seems ok(when it works) but the bb is essentially costing me 24.99 a month for an average of 1.85mb-but i needed unlimited -the upto 8mbs is much cheaper but its capped and i aint sure but i believe the vision uses part of your allowance too so im fucked all ends up with bt

they might have upgraded the area but if you have a sour wire in your house somewhere its a nightmare, our kid had the same thing, crap BT switched to BE still the same, they had the engs out they replaced some runs inside and its fine now.

same with mine wasnt outside it was a run going down the stairs, it was old but looked ok no signs of wear or tear but over the years with it getting knocked it had split inside and was creating a short which totally screwed the whole line,

that why i said try get them to send an eng out and get him to noise test the lines, i bet your having the same issue i had and our kid had, both cured with new runs and using the test port behind the face plate, think our kids went up over 1mb infact i thinkit was more using the test port alone.

either that or just buy the gear and run your own at least you know its new and then if theres no improvement its the service but i just cant see how your getting that im what a few miles if that and i was knocking nearly 24mb when i was on that package now im on the 8mb unlimited and i get over 8mb according to my router settings.

nowt to lose, get them out or buy the gear to run it yourself souldnt be much and if it cures it then its jobs a good 'en.

go to the black market buy a brand new passport and star a new life...only way to get out of this lol

Right Violent, I used to work for BT in the call centre, and have been an engineer. TBH, there is quite a bit you can do, you can get out of your contract due to the lack of speed being offered on the BB service. Although it is marketed as an upto 20mb service, you are getting below the average. Vision is a bag of shit mate, best get rid of that immediately, as it will cause your BB havoc.

Do you know where the line comes into your house mate? If so, goto that main socket, disconnect everything, and run a test from there mate. You will see what your proper speeds are then, if your using extensions and such your going to lose speeds due to the cables used (Quality and length). Also get something called an SSFP, it has a built in filter and will improve your line.

Do that first mate, and see what you get from there, post results, and I will try and help some more. Also PM me your telephone number, and I will get the line tested, and diagnosed by some friends that work for BT, see if they can improve your problems mate.

Do you know where the line comes into your house mate? If so, goto that main socket, disconnect everything, and run a test from there mate. You will see what your proper speeds are then, if your using extensions and such your going to lose speeds due to the cables used (Quality and length). Also get something called an SSFP, it has a built in filter and will improve your line.

Do that first mate, and see what you get from there, post results, and I will try and help some more. Also PM me your telephone number, and I will get the line tested, and diagnosed by some friends that work for BT, see if they can improve your problems mate.

ive done that,and the speed is identicle to what i get when its on the extention wire,ive tried from the test socket too and thats the same

ill send the pm in a moment,thanks for the offer of help i appreciate it,i was unaware of being able to cancel due to the speed,thing is tho aint i supposed to get at least 2mb for the vision to run,thats working ok at the mo(i turned it off b4 testing the speed tho)

anyway thanks again

under ofcom rules they can only charge u a maximum of £12 a month for each month still in contract if u wish to terminate

kept very quiet :p

Back