Broken Liteon drive

m8 just clean it up and send it back you have nothing to loose also put your broken liteon back in just force red lights, if not buy 1 from argos or game switch the mb and get a refund

Hi

If I tried to return the xbox to MS, what about their sticker you cant help but damage when opening?

Argos don't refund Console returns anymore. Info in their Terms and Conditions.

(had already thought of that one otherwise I would!).

The Liteon key shows as - DFA38C1315B53C90214F28E05F32XXXX

(X's replaced by me, normal last 4 digits really).

To me the key looks fine, and when the Liteon dummy.bin spoofs the benq ix 1.6 file, the key transfers over correctly.

Going to perservere with this just a bit longer :(

do you have a m8 or know any1 with a modded xbox.. if so could you ask them if you could put your drive into their box just to see if it ejects. and if it doesnt then put their drive into your box to see what happens. it could let you know if it is the drive , a problem with the firmware or the motherboard once and for all. just out of curiosity, where did you get the hacked firmware??? did you get it of a p2p site or from a trusted site.

Good plan - I am seeing a friend tomorrow who has a hacked 360, so will borrow that to try.

Thanks for the idea Celtic!

ps got the firmware from xbins

Last edited:
hi

I have finally checked my Benq drive with a friends 360 = no ejecting.

Then I tried their drive inside my 360 = green light flashes, drive ejects.

So I guess it is the 360 motherboard then.

I have bent pins inside the original Liteon drives sata connector, and have broken MS warranty seal on xbox, and broken tape (silver one) on Liteon.

This was a brand new Elite, with a July 2009 date. :(

A Microsoft return is probably unwise, due to above.

Should I just use this for spares, or does anyone have any better ideas?

I don't think I will flash any more 360's - this one has been a nightmare!

you need a board from ebay with a key that hasent got rrod and not banned if need be .

Hi

I am really fed up...

Spent most of last night trying to get my Liteon drive into the 'half open' status described in Oggy's new Jungleflash tutorial.

I finally did it, and all seemed to go well until selecting the 'Outro/Ata reset button, Jungleflasher just seemed to freeze on this option, without proceeding, so after approx 20 minutes I had no option but switch off the 360.

Plugged it back up to the TV, but now it kept ejecting the Liteon drive.

I established I needed somehow to get it to accept the Outro etc mode, and tried to set it up again.

Trouble is now, I guess from keep attaching/detaching the 360's sata wire, the pins are all bent inside the Liteon drive.

There is no way the sata wire can connect now - pins are too mangled.

I thought I had been careful but obviously not enough.

Have I any options here?

I saved the DVD key in various places, but not sure if that is enough?

Help really needed - thanks

Didn't even bother reading the rest of the posts after the picture TBH but at a guess you skipped parts of it with the itchy hand syndrome. The tutorial is as detailed as your gonna get.

Hi

Ok here is a picture View attachment 48534 couldn't be worse lol!

To be honest, I am not sure which position the pins are meant to be in originally, as I have never looked.

Thing is I really thought I was being careful...

I am really fed up, as I was happy this drive was the new Liteon 83850C, which I had read is reliable and quiet.

Anyway any ideas - if any, on what I can do to salvage this disaster?

Thanks

That looks like pure frustration but as long as you have the drivekey your fine with another suitable drive.

Hi

I know it seems as if I was in a hurry and squashed the pins because of impatience, but honestly that wasn't the case!

The small black sata end must have come off the Liteon drive when I attached the sata cable, then when I reinserted the cable, I didn't realise the black end was off, and pushed the sata lead in - causing the damage shown in my picture.

Anyway the new drive suggestion - that is what I have been trying to do for the last couple of weeks on and off.

The replacement Benq is loaded with Liteon orig dummy using JF, then spoofed to Benq ix1.6 (now 1.61) then flashed.

Same results everytime, ejecting drive.

The key matches exactly when checked in JF BUT Freekey and Openkey, both report wrong filesize for that dummy.bin (it is 256 kb).

I also tried rebuilding the dummy file using JF, and that is why I had to open the original Liteon, to verify the PCB numbers etc. (all match fine on dummy.bin).

I found a couple of people on the net, reporting other July 2009 360s unable to dump/and or/flash, but most say its from August onwards.

As said previously, I have flashed 360s before, and not had problems at all.

Appreciate the comments, as any advice helpful.

Last edited:
Did you also try your m8's cables from his xbox into yours to see if it still ejects?

hi

Yes I did try another sata cable and motherboard cable, but still had the same results with the green light blinking and the drive ejecting.

When I tried to set it up to try out games (even though drive was ejecting, I wanted to see what would happen) it booted up fine, then gave me system error E71.

I got rid of that error, by following a guide to fix E71 and clear dashboard updates. Then the 360 booted up ok but obviously couldn't play discs.

when flahing some hitachi drives the tray keeps ejecting but pressing the eject button 3 times quickly keeps the drive in.
have you tried this?

just a thought....

i would also try pulling the power from the back of the xbox whilst it is switched on and then powering it straight back up, try this a few times.

Hi

I just tried both those suggestions, but no luck.

Think I need to give up on this one. :Cry:

It seems to me that when JungleFlasher put it into Vendor Mode, it locked and refused to leave (in spite of me pressing the Outro button when exiting JF).

I am pretty sure the ejecting drive fault wasnt down to the sata pins being messed up, as they only got bent in the first place when I kept trying to get the Liteon out of Vendor Mode.

I tried everything at the time, rebooting and pulling the hard drive cable, and rebooting pulling the sata cable - I know the sata cable normally doesn't need unplugging, but because I seemed stuck in vendor mode, I tried everything.

Then I ended up with the bent Liteon sata pins, swapping to the Benq, and having exactly the same ejecting problem.

Wonder if the problem is due to the 360 being a July 09 83850C?

Anyway nevermind!

Thanks everyone for your help it's much appreciated

page 80 of JF says

Only EARLY Versions of
83850C will work.
Changes were made
around Jul/Aug 09 – that
prevents Dump of Key!

i'm not a pro like, just been reading JF for you........

page 79 says

Currently The NEWER 83850C and 93450C are UNDUMPABLE –
If it’s an 83850C and is Aug 09 or earlier then try following the tutorial
for dumping it – It MAY or MAY NOT Work! As there is a second
version of 83850C with no difference in markings, so the only way to
find out which you have - is to try it!

Hi Dibbers

On my version of the JungleFlasher tutorial, there is no mention of this ( I downloaded it from this site around the time I first posted).

I now see that JF has been updated to include the info about the recent 83850C.

Either way, the key extraction seemed to go fine. The problem started when I tried to exit JF which is when it refused to leave vendor mode (or that's how it seemed).

From what I have read on the net the last couple of weeks, others with recent 360s, are having problems dumping the key using various methods, JF included.

None of them seem to have the same problem as me though - successful key dump, but constant ejecting drive afterwards.

They all seem to be unable to extract the Liteon key at all.

urm.......i see...........as i say no pro here like, but thought i'd post that so you can see.

this is on that drive that you bent the pins on again.....mmmmmm

edit :

would it be a good idea or not....just thinking out loud here to try and get the liteon drive fixed and then try a extractor kit with power and that rather than use the 360 to power it and then try the whole key extraction thing again from the liteon?

Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea how to go about fixing the Liteon drive.

I guess it would need the bit with the sata pins replacing?

Do you think then the problem all along (other than the vendor mode thing) is down to the dummy.bin not extracting correctly?

Thing is, it looks good and verifies in JungleFlasher - though not in Freekey.

I think I will wait and see how things progress with this 'different' 83850C drive, and if there is any fix available that helps.

thanks again

just recapping over everything now...... in post #53 am i reading it correct has the ejecting stopped now ? but the drives won't read games (the new spoofed drive that is)

Back