Broken Liteon drive

Mepsipax

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I am really fed up...

Spent most of last night trying to get my Liteon drive into the 'half open' status described in Oggy's new Jungleflash tutorial.

I finally did it, and all seemed to go well until selecting the 'Outro/Ata reset button, Jungleflasher just seemed to freeze on this option, without proceeding, so after approx 20 minutes I had no option but switch off the 360.

Plugged it back up to the TV, but now it kept ejecting the Liteon drive.

I established I needed somehow to get it to accept the Outro etc mode, and tried to set it up again.

Trouble is now, I guess from keep attaching/detaching the 360's sata wire, the pins are all bent inside the Liteon drive.

There is no way the sata wire can connect now - pins are too mangled.

I thought I had been careful but obviously not enough.

Have I any options here?

I saved the DVD key in various places, but not sure if that is enough?

Help really needed - thanks

anychance of a pic of the dmaged pins ? also are you sure they cant be straigtened ?

Hi

Ok here is a picture View attachment 48534 couldn't be worse lol!

To be honest, I am not sure which position the pins are meant to be in originally, as I have never looked.

Thing is I really thought I was being careful...

I am really fed up, as I was happy this drive was the new Liteon 83850C, which I had read is reliable and quiet.

Anyway any ideas - if any, on what I can do to salvage this disaster?

Thanks

Ok just found a black plastic 'sata' piece, stuck to the end of the 360's sata lead.

Now I need to find out how to re attach this bit to the mangled pins beneath?
Which position should those pins be in to allow this part to fit/work?

Advice appreciated

This is so frustrating!

Each time I bend the pins carefully to suitable position, then pop back the black sata plastic front, JungleFlasher doesn't detect the drive.

(As stated previously, I am pretty sure the drive is flashed as all seemed to go well until the Outro/Ata option).

Anyway so I start again, but now have to realign pins, as by pushing the sata front into the 360 port, seems to squash the pins again.

Clearly I am not aligning the pins properly I have looked all over the internet for similar situations - but seem to be alone!

I am not even sure how this black thing came unattached I was careful, and anyway the sata connector only needs unplugging/plugging once or twice during flash.

Is there anyway of doing this successfully OR saving my xbox another way?

wow, looks like you been forcing it mate or had it in upside down....PM Bad_Ad he's a pro at soldering and can fix any thing thrown at him.....so i'm sure he'd be able to have a go at this for you.

Should have seen the webstar (modem) jtag that i messed up a few month ago with a poor soldering iron....

Lol yep big mess!

Just got in from work, so going to try again in a bit, but if not, where could I buy another drive?

Does it need to be a Liteon same FW etc?

Flashed 360s before, but never had this much trouble!

not sure if this can be done but what about unsoldering one of another drive and replacing it ?

sure oggy would know this.

Thanks for the link Will. So would that drive would be fine to replace the new Liteon?

About the soldering thing - look at the mess I made without soldering, think I best leave that option!

yes m8 it will be fine in jungle you would load your original bin (your liteon firmware) file in as the source and download the latest benq firmware and load that into target then click spoof to target yhen write firmware if unsure just follow jungle tutorial you will have to still do the half open tray trick m8 so be careful, what i do if the sata is stiff when removing it is just get small flat head screw driver and gently prize it out.

Last edited:
Oh dear, even more so Oh Dear as you didnt need to play about with the cables.

OMGWTFBBQ.jpg

There is no "reply" from the Outro/ATA Reset, and you carried on reading, you'd of known to check Drive Properties

Id get anoter LiteOn personally, or if you have the tools, swap the sata socket.

Hi

Yes I did keep trying the send Outro/Ata reset option, but it froze on me for ages, so then I had to reset the 360 and JF.

Then when I tried to get back to that option, I got into the trouble posted with the squashed pins.

Thing is the sata port end thingy shouldn't really come off should it - it never has before on previous drive flashes?

Anyway I will buy another drive - either a Benq from the link will65mcmanus sent, or another Liteon.

Any idea where the cheapest replacement Liteon can be purchased?

(Thanks all for your help - rep added)

Have gone for the Benq after all, as it was a fair bit cheaper.

Thanks again Will and co for all your help!

m8 you wont regret it, dont throw your liteon out m8 someone on here maybe able to use it for spares lazer and stuff thats if your kind enough to give it to them :proud:

as i say it can be fixed and then sell it back on fleabay, making you some cash back for the other drive you just bought...

i can change the connector, but 2x postage, parts and fees will be more than what you just paid for a benq, so kinda pointless.

id be willing to throw you a couple of quid for it and attempt a repair or failing that, use for spares.

Hi

Yes I did keep trying the send Outro/Ata reset option, but it froze on

You mistake me,

Just because the running log didnt say anything after, doesnt mean it didnt do what it did (ATA Reset)

Back