Boot Up Problem!

S

smudger

I HAVE TO TURN ON MY PC AND REPEATEDLY TURN IT BACK OFF THEN ON AGAIN, UNTIL IT EVENTUALLY STARTS. I DO NOT KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS. ONCE IT IS ON, IF I HAVE TO RESTART FOR ANY REASON I.E. TO INSTALL AN UPDATE ETC, IT WILL DO SO, BUT FOR SOME REASON IT WILL NOT BOOT UP THE FIRST TIME, WITHOUT (AS I HAVE SAID) REPEATEDLY SWITHCHING IT ON AND OFF, UNTIL IT KICKS IN.
ANY IDEAS?

I AM USING A PENTIUM III
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

PLEASE HELP.

THANK YOU.

i know this is your first post m8 but caps is seen as shouting you dont need to shout to be heard here. When the computer boots up go to run type in msconfiq then go to startup tab and uncheck any unused programmes then reboot see if that helps before we go to deeply into this

Are talking about it not powering up (hardware)?
Or are you taliking about it not booting correctly (Software)?

The former may be a PSU problem, check all the connections on the MOBO.

and the latter, are you getting any error mesages if the is a software issue?

i have a basic knowledge of pc's, but i think it might be a hardware problem? it will literally not do anything when i press the button on my tower to switch the pc on. a light comes on but it does not make the usual noises when it boots up normally. nothing is displayed on the monitor at all. i switch it off then back on again until it eventually comes on.
I don't know what PSU means
I don't know what MOBO means, but i assume it is mother board. If so, then all connections are ok.
no error messages.

PSU Power Supply Unit,

Does is reboot from windows ok, by selecting reboot?

Mine has a fault where it will not turn on if I turn it off for 30 seconds.

I have to wait 30 mins before it will boot up again, if it is the same it is the Power Supply.

only 20 quid, but I never turn mine of so I have not changed mine yet.

it reboots ok once it is on but as i have said it takes several attempts to get it to turn on in the beginning. If i turn it off completely then i have the same problem again.

It sounds like it, you might find it boots every time if you put less load on the PSU by unplugging CD ROM Drives, extra hard drives etc. but that isn't much use !

As Maryhinge says, new ones are only £20ish and you can't put the connectors in the wrong place, just get one with the same power rating or more.

I have seen a faulty motherboard cause a similar problems too :(, but lets hope it is not that.

It has worked fine for a long time with two hard drives and two cd roms. it has happened all of a sudden?
What is about £20? A new power supply? What does that mean? How can i tell what i need?
If it is the mother board how can i tell?

Thanks.

Don't worry about the motherboard for the moment :).

Yes, a new power supply is about £20 and getting one whether you buy a new one or borrowing one is how you can tell what is faulty.

Unfortunatley, electronic stuff does sometimes just stop working properly. Standard computer PSUs fail frequently because of the temperature they run at and the strain put on them, the fact they are not built from the best components doesn't help either. One of the commonly seen faults is yours, the PSU cannot supply the high initial current when you power up your PC.

Try replacing it with a higher rated one if the one you have is rated at less than 350 Watt :).

Thank you for a good full reply.
However i do not know what a power supply unit looks like?
How can i find out what Rate (watt) it is?
Does it matter how high a rate i replace it with?
What do i ask for when i go to buy one? (proberly a power supply unit lol)
Does it have to be compatible with anything etc.

Thanks.

colorcase-store_1754_1018832
looks like this m8 it's the box that all the wires come from that plug into your internal drives have you swopped over your ide cables recently as when i swop mine around when i start up i have to press the on button then the reset button to get it to boot

Thanks, great picture.
Will mine say the wattage on it?
What watt should i get?
Does it have to be compatable or are they all the same?

Not touched any cables.

Thanks.

Generally all of the PSUs available now are the same IE. "ATX" Which can be switched on and off by the motherboard. The former AT type were different.

If you take it to your local PC shop (Avoid Maplin who sell them for £40 and PC World who probably charge £stupid) they will give you an equivelant one.

The rated output should be on yours on a label somewhere in Watts but installing a higher rated one will not do any harm, if anything it is better and may last longer. A 350W one will be adequate but if a 400W is only a couple of quid more I would go for that :).

They aren't difficult to install, there are only 3/4 screws holding them in and you can't mix the wires up.

A few bits to remember:

Make sure there are enough disk drive power connectors etc. on the new one. If not get a splitter.

If there is a voltage selector switch on the new PSU (Usually a red slide switch on the bit that shows on the back of the PC case) make sure it is set for 240V (240 should be showing).

Some PSUs have a socket next to the mains input on the back which you can plug your monitor's mains lead into instead of a normal socket. If yours is one of these you may want to replace it with similar, if your monitor has a normal 3-Pin plug any PSU will do :).

Smudger, as Spectre has said you CANNOT go wrong.

If you are unsure you can go cable for cable.

remove the existing Power Supply by the 4 screws, but do not disconnect the cables yet.

Fit the New PSU in the PC case.

TThen remove each cable 1 at a time while connecting the new ones as you remove it

That way you know you have connected everything and removed everything.

:)

Back