Boot loop

I hate to state the obvious but.. am i they only guy to notice the difference in CPU frequency ??

I dont wanna state your problem but check this out.............

My CPU works at...
CPU: PPC823ZTnnB2 at 66 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache

And your CPU is running at ????????????/
CPU: PPC823ZTnnA at 67.200 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache

(Iknow different CPU types(BUT the CPU of all Dbox logs i have seen to date is 66Mhz))

I aint sure this is the source of your problem as i havent seen this b4 and i am very new here BUT, i do know that if the core frequency of your system has drifted as far and that any other system clocks are expected to synch to that you may have timing issues.. just like some PCs dont like 400 Mhz memory and others do and vica versa for 333 etc (just a subtle example). I honestly dont know if this will cause an issue, maybe if someone else can show there system running at this rate and they dont show issues will help take this observation from the loop.

The post is long and i am kinda bushed but you may have a CPU timing issue, I havent had a close look at my Dbox for clock circuitry and I dont yet have any schematics for the sagem but there is a set for the nokia up on the downloads section.... I will have a look when i have time and check to see if the clock is internally generated or externaly generated tp the CPU, I will try to come up with a fix for your clock frequency issue, if its external it iwll be a change of component if its all generated internal its possibly gonna be a chip change or a check on the supply voltage depends TBH on how the internals work within the device, Hopefuly just maybe that will sort your problem out...

Longish shot as i am new to dbox but OLD to uP systems in the whole :)

BR
Phezo

The bogoMIPS are ok. The difference between 66 and 67 MHz is inside the normal tolerance.
@ pelyo
There must be a valid path in the line for the nfs server.
NFS is not used for flashing but the bootmanager start the nfs server and check the path before. Maybe that was the reason for the your problem with the autostart. Type in the path to a valid folder. E:\Pete for instance.

Cheers for that fine explanation, but....
I think I screwed up in the early post. I may have posted the log from a box which was under the thread 'Replace Tuner'. Can't be 100 % sure though. Idiot that I am.

I'm only working on one box at the moment which is the looping box which is running with CPU: PPC823ZTnnA at 67 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache.
Still different to yours though.

mgb.
It won't auto start. Tried many times including a deinstall and reinstall of boot manager.

Last edited:
Folks
I've just about given up on this. It's been a long day.
Special thanks to mgb. You tried your best mate.

My only option that I can see now is to find out what is throwing the message out and somehow alter the offending file directly on the box.
Seen something along the lines of main.c somewhre on the net. I'll take another gander.
Cheers folks.

Had tried that. No joy.
Been back through the instructions several times.
Really don't understand why my version is not autostarting as you said it should. Bit sick of it now. A break may be needed before stepping back into the fire tomorrow.
Cheers
Pelyo

Maybe a problem with the USB driver for your adapter.
Set the flow control in the driver settings to Xon/Xoff.

Nope. No joy.
Status box (bottom left) just says 'waiting to start'.
Tried rebooting after change.
If I just power on the dbox just loops.
If I turn on while pressing up the dbox just sits on the bmon screen.
The COM-Terminal displays nothing at all.

I may have lost focus here but what exactly are we trying to see/achieve here.
I take it a new image does not replace any of the boot files.
Is it the bootfiles that are the problem ?

PM me i can send u a zip of my IFA folder if it helps )

Question...
Do you have nortons installed :), if so we can get aorund the internet worm protection :)

BR
Phezo

Cheers but nothing running that could block it.
All disabled or shutdown.

If anyone can translate and make sense of the last bits in my last bootlog (latest_2.txt), it would be appreciated.
I've used a couple of the on-line translation tools but I can't make any real sense of what it translates to other than the cat command bit.

This is what i do when reflashing a box that wont bootup or just sits at lade
it might help you, worth a shot
Install bootmanager into C:/
put ppcboot..ppcboot_readflash....ppcboot_writeflash into C:/
Put image into C:/
Then do the following
1 connect dbox using both Xover and null modem
2 set network card in PC to 192.168.0.201 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
3 install bootmanager to c:\
4 start dbox bootmanager
5 set the dbox ip to 192.168.0.202
6 tick bootp / tftp -server starten
7 set bootfile fur dbox to c:\ppcboot_writeflash
8 tick nfs-server starten
9 set root-verzeichnis to c:\
10 Tick rarp-server starten
11 set com-port to com ? 9600 baud
12 click the utilities tab....Important
13 click image flashen
14 browse to the image that is to be flashed in C:/ and click open
15 click bestatigung click ok
16 Should go to the com window if it does'nt check network settings
17 Plug the box into power
18 you should see lots of data and loads of these ####
18 Wait till another window open and click ok
19 take nullmodem cable out and crossover cable out
20 reboot the box.
This works for me
i have mcAfee disabled
and added dboxmanager to the exceptions in windows firewall then turned it off.
Picture of settings attached
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Cheers for that.
I'll give it a go tomorrow, or is it later today if you know what I mean, and let you know how I get on.

Cheers but same old story!!??
Followed your instructions but it did not go to the COM window.
Out of ideas.

The only option I can see is to somehow replace to boot files on the box.
Did anyone manage to translate my bootlog (latest_2.txt) into a sensible english sentence ?

If you press the up arrow button on the box and plugin your box the bootloader open a serial console, start a memory test and wait then for commands. If you see no output in the com terminal something is wrong with the serial connection via the null modem cable to the box or you selected the wrong com port inside the bootmanager. .

Yes. I've had this a couple of times.
It runs some restrictive shell on the dbox. Access to some of the commands is restricted because of this. For example the ftp command (on the dbox) does not run because some libraries are not loaded or maybe a PATH has not been set up. Because it allows restricted access to the OS of the box, that is why I was asking if there was a way to swap files.

There is simply no ftp command available only tftp.
Which messages do you get after clicking on open in the dialog for the image selection.

I've tried so many varying options and failed on all of them.

Please see latest log to see where I am.

The ftp I am talking about is the one that lives on the dbox.
I'm going to show this to a linux bod at work tomorrow to see if he has any ideas.
The key to it is finding out what throws the following error ''bootd' recursion detected'.

Last edited:
Thats the package for reading images from the box and not for flashing.
The simplest way is maybe to bootup a ppcboot and do the flash commands per hand. Its also possible to flash only via null modem cable.

I have managed to flash succesfully to this box with a number of different images, but I always have this boot loop problem.
I've read a bit about the boot process and I'm starting to wonder if this issue cannot be resolved as it may be code that lives on an EPROM or something that is permanent.
Any ideas if there is something out there that explains what code gets executed during the boot process ?
Any ideas if this is the code that produces the loop message ?
http://tuxbox-cdk-doku.berlios.de/Components/System/00303a.html

Back