BNP ordered to accept ethnic minority members or face prosecution

In a letter from the Equality and Human Rights Commission, Nick Griffin, the BNP leader, was told that he had less than a month to provide written undertakings that the party would abide by race relations legislation.
John Wadham, legal director of the Commission, said that the watchdog was concerned that the BNP's constitution and membership criteria could be in breach of the law.

Party membership was said by the Commission to be restricted to those with white skin and a small number of other ethnic groups.
In a statement, the watchdog added: "This exclusion is contrary to the Race Relations Act which the party is legally obliged to comply with. The Commission therefore thinks that the BNP may have acted, and be acting, illegally."
There were further concerns over the requirement on new staff to be party members, and fears that elected BNP representatives would be unwilling to provide help and support to non-white constituents.
If the BNP does not provide written undertakings by July 20 that it will make the changes required by the Commission voluntarily, then the watchdog said that it would apply for a legal injunction which would compel them to comply.
Any breach of a court order would be a criminal offence and leave the party's leaders open to prosecution.
Mr Wadham said that the Commission had a legal duty to ensure that political parties were not breaking the law by discriminating against ethnic minorities.
He added: "The legal advice we have received indicates that the British National Party's constitution and membership criteria, employment practices and provision of services to constituents and the public may breach discrimination laws which all political parties are legally obliged to uphold.
"Litigation or enforcement action can be avoided by the BNP giving a satisfactory response to our letter."
The BNP has been ordered to provide a written undertaking that it will not breach race relations laws in its "employment, recruitment, procedures and practices".
On the BNP's website, applicants for party jobs are asked to supply a membership number. The Commission said that this amounted to a potential breach of laws which ban parties from refusing employment on the basis of non-membership of an organisation.
Earlier this month, two BNP members, including Mr Griffin, were elected to the European Parliament, the highest office enjoyed by party representatives to date.
The Commission said that it was concerned that they and the party's local councillors did not intend to provide their services on an equal basis to all constituents irrespective of race or colour.
A spokesman for the BNP said that the party would not be commenting.

Source:BNP ordered to accept ethnic minority members or face prosecution - Telegraph

not sure it would achieve anything. not many NONE WHITES would want to join. and if they did, as the BNP will never make it past the edges of the system. there is no point trying to change an, irrelevant, organisation.
I would let them do as they like, coz nobody cares.

No if he was he would change his mind in a minute.

Plus I hear the expenses for DW admins aren't that good.
expenses are non excistant
plus
i believe in fair play for all that is true race relations but i have seen where non whites seem to get better treated

the problem with this is the people who are trying to be raceless are making ordinary people racist
if everybody was treated equal nopbody would have any need for racisim

I would agree. Especially after they'd read stuff like this:Kelly Holmes is not fully British, says BNP MEP Andrew Brons - Telegraph

I think you should be more worried about the results of A BBC poll,which were broadcast on the Ten O'clock News (25/06/2009) which shows significant support amongst "British Muslims" for the Taliban. With 15% of male "British Muslims" said they supported attacks on British troops.
But not you Nara your more worried about one guy who thinks Kelly Holmes is not 100% British, FFS

You can have all these diferent organisations which promote divercity etc but at the end of the day we aint going to stop racism.. because there is no such thing..

There is a plot of land in oldham which has had countless plannin attemps for a mosque to be built dating back to the 70's.. this year it was allowed :( on the basis that it was anyone can use it.. ie library, gym etc etc..

Are these people that dumb?? the way it is in oldham (riots etc) if a white person enter that building there would be uproar i could garentee that the person entering would be beat up..

Yes i voted the BNP as it is my right to support them..

I am completely anti BNP (National Front, Combat 18, whatever worm like group you care to mention).

I also find the idea of a black BNP member/candidate hilarious.

However, the one hole these narrow minded bigots have to crawl through is the primary logic that is the idea of minority groups.

Now of course the only reason that the 'National Black Police Association' exists is to redress the inequalities that exist/existed in that particular area.

But the point that is made (by the fearful white, supposedly Anglo-Saxon majority) is that there is a logical inequality between the BNP not being able to exclude ethnic minorities and the ethnic interest group not having at its heart 'white' interests.

A question arises. do the National Black Police Association disallow white members?

If they do not, surely the point becomes somewhat mute? It is like banning chess clubs, because they do not allow draughts to be played?

If you are a draughts player, that would like to be a member of a chess club you are welcome too.

Is that not the difference?

if a white person enter that building there would be uproar i could garentee that the person entering would be beat up..

I didn't realise all Muslims were black.

Thanks!

You can have all these diferent organisations which promote divercity etc but at the end of the day we aint going to stop racism.. because there is no such thing..

There is a plot of land in oldham which has had countless plannin attemps for a mosque to be built dating back to the 70's.. this year it was allowed :( on the basis that it was anyone can use it.. ie library, gym etc etc..

Are these people that dumb?? the way it is in oldham (riots etc) if a white person enter that building there would be uproar i could garentee that the person entering would be beat up..

Yes i voted the BNP as it is my right to support them..

so your white and your avatar is just to stir up shit then ? bring back the tits

there are white, black, brown, yellow, blue, green, purple and grey muslims....lol

u dont have to be a certain colour to follow a faith

plus 1 or 2 things i actually agree with bnp..lol and im a british paki....pmsl

but they still idiots like all mp's its all £££££ in there pockets

ok i dont really care for the bnp, however if they are protesting against a certain type of person how can they be forced to 'toe the line in a certain legislation'.

really are we that pc today that we would try and make the bnp take on a certain amount of ethnic workers in there ranks?

think about this for a wee moment...

.... you are a black guy and the government say to you, you have to work for the BNP!!!!!

are we really having a laff here or what?

first off if you are not of a bnp persuasion, why the f##k would you want to work for them?

on the other hand why would you go to the BNP for government help?

these laws or regulations cant be forced on the BNP! cos anyone who disagrees with them wouldnt want their help or wouldnt want to work within their ranks....

..... all of wich now leads me to this. the people who make these legislations, how much money do they make? what do they do all day? who are they? where are there brains? these people need to read the papers a wee bit more cos the BNP are standing against people that are outside of their cultural circle. you cant force them to obey by the rules, they are trying to get them re-written! the legislations written here are the very foundations of what the BNP are trying to stop!

come on people we need to think a wee bit more about what we would like to put into legislations.

would anyone try and make the rev ian paisley take a mass for st margarets chapel on a sunday morning? this is what this sounds like. it wastes peoples time and money when committes and boards get together and want to make waves, when in actual fact they hardly make a ripple.

There is no doubt that the BNP is hitting chords with a lot of people regarding their equality point of view, unfortunatly "white" people have all experienced favouritism against them as the pendulum will now swing on the side of minorities for fear of upsetting equal opportunity law and of course "ethnic" people have suffered years of perjudice at the hands of "whites" who have been brought up (perhaps subliminally - tv?) not to like different skin to their own.

Surely in this day and age, and with the multi ethnic integration that has already happened in this country we can judge people on their personal merits - there are pleanty of people living to sponge from this country and the british can play this game better than anyone, what we need is a bit of common sence when it comes to saying NO to people as a country. The councils are being sued all of the time by "ethnics" for racism and also by "whites" for human rights breaches.

This country is in need of being able to clearly say NO - HERES A JOB. WORK IT AND EARN YOUR OWN MONEY to people of all colours. The government has let living costs spiral way above pay levels for ordinary folk whilst blindly giving handouts to make up the difference and hope the earners fill the gap in the meantime. As the earners now face redundancy and the benefit system crumbles under the strain of protecting the people it was designed for.
Fair play to the BNP for saying what they think and having the balls to say what they think without fear of branding BUT We need to be asking the BNP can UKs problems really be solved on a colour or religion basis? and is all of this predjudice really nessesary and in anyones best interests?

I personally cant stand the BNP but I can see why some people are swaying in their direction, I do feel that the country is trying to much to try to accommodate minorities and this in turn is turning the Uk citizen against the govt.

I am all for allowing people in to this country who need our help and rightly so, but we need to start hammering the ones who use this help as our weakness.

The country should have a set of rules and no distinction or siding to race or religion, anything else must be done on your own and not conflict with the country's rules

its a sad day when a government is capable of determining the level/type of competition that are allowed to compete against them. They trying to make BNP illegal.

It's also a sad fact of those people in the Prime Ministers inner sanctum who have this power to yield this bull over us all, most weren't ACTUALLY elected the way i see it don't even belong there.

Are we communists ?

It appears to me that Racism against etnics is all one sided like you say one rule for us.
I think it is time that racism was taught to younger children as a child i know who is only 5 commented about the colour of another childs skin and was excluded from school for the rest of the day and one more day after. \i feel things have gone to far now.

We call the Liverpudlians "Scoucers" The Necastle people " Geordies" or Mackhams The scottish " Jocks " and I'm sure we all go to the Chinkie on a Friday or Saturday so where do you draw the line to identifying what is and isn't racial in terminology.

I am now English NOT British as the Scots are Scottish and the Welsh Welsh and not forgetting the Irish who are Irish.

Back