Boris Johnson would walk it at general election, says poll

roachieuk

Elite Member
Reaction score
If this is for real im leaving the country as soon as poss rofl.

Boris Johnson would walk it at general election, says poll

The Conservatives' margin of victory in Uxbridge and South Ruislip would more than double if Boris Johnson were to be selected as the party's candidate, according to a new poll.

The London mayor is thought to be considering the seat after finally confirming this month that he wants to return to the Commons at next year's general election. Mr Johnson will step down as London Mayor in 2016.

The electoral magic that won him two terms is in evidence again in a survey by Lord Ashcroft. Lord Ashcroft, a Tory donor and former party vice-chairman, found in a poll of 1,000 constituents that the Tories would hold on to the seat vacated by John Randall by 42 per cent to 28 per cent over Labour if a general election were held tomorrow – a margin of 14 per cent. That margin would soar to 29 points if Mr Johnson were the candidate. Lord Ashcroft said: "The results show Boris's unique ability both to galvanise Tories and appeal to supporters of other parties."

Mr Johnson is widely thought to be manoeuvring himself into position to succeed David Cameron as party leader. If the Tories lose next year's election, Mr Johnson needs to be an MP to fight the almost inevitable subsequent leadership battle.

Lord Ashcroft's poll also shows that voters are split over whether Mr Johnson should complete his second term as mayor. Half said he should either wait to become an MP until after his term ends or step down immediately.

There have been similar comments made about another possible seat, South Cambridgeshire, where there are "concerns" over whether Mr Johnson could be both MP and mayor.

Boris Johnson would walk it at general election, says poll - UK Politics - UK - The Independent

What a mess this Country is in.......

Whether you like Boris's politics or not, (I don't), there's no escaping the fact that he's a highly charismatic politician, and there ain't many of them about these days.

Don't be fooled by the blustering and farting about. He's got more fully functioning brain cells than Cameron, Osborne and the rest of cabinet put together.

What a mess this Country is in.......

It's not the only one- a circus of clowns could do a better job of running this country than the bunch of idiotic lying, thieving, bent morons we have. I mean seriously- one example: gov't has just signed a massive oil deal, and the country as a whole stands to gain nothing from it- see what I mean? And there are at least as many more examples as there are 'brown envelopes'.....

Thing is, people voted in these idiots.!!

It's not the only one- a circus of clowns could do a better job of running this country than the bunch of idiotic lying, thieving, bent morons we have. I mean seriously- one example: gov't has just signed a massive oil deal, and the country as a whole stands to gain nothing from it- see what I mean? And there are at least as many more examples as there are 'brown envelopes'.....

A big element of "essential" business travel, negotiation and delivery of brown envelopes (or equivalent).

Businessmen call its called "Sales". Politicians call it "International Development" or "Aid".

We just call it bribery, but then we're only paying for it, what would we know?:)

They're all a bunch of idiots mate.(whichever ones you vote in) ;)
Whatever you may call them, collectively they're not idiots. It's a cross party stitch up by generations who have studied how to
manipulate people and situations as a science. We get publicized flare ups between individuals, and stage managed PMQs,
which appear to reveal differences between parties, but I imagine they later all laugh together, about their respective sheep.

Attempts are made to "relate" to voters around election time, high vis jackets, hard hats, appearing to enjoy beer, pasties or a bacon sandwich.
At least nowadays they carefully avoid kissing babies. After the election they broadly follow the same course, the difference only
being felt by extreme ends of the income spectrum. Other long standing issues are never addressed for fear of upsetting minorities
whose votes may be needed next time. If you refuse to follow a particular herd, you can become a swing voter, but you only get to
choose between candidates presented by a party machine, each with a packaged agenda of issues selected to get support,
no "pick and mix" on issues, so overall very similar, any link to manifestos tenuous at best.

They come out of university like Chinese imports, with different badges, but underneath all the same.
Then we have a Boris Johnson, Alec Salmond, or Nigel Farage. Is it any wonder they have an attraction?
You may regard them as dangerous, but the political cartel needs a bloody good shake up.

Whatever you may call them, collectively they're not idiots. It's a cross party stitch up by generations who have studied how to
manipulate people and situations as a science. We get publicized flare ups between individuals, and stage managed PMQs,
which appear to reveal differences between parties, but I imagine they later all laugh together, about their respective sheep.

Attempts are made to "relate" to voters around election time, high vis jackets, hard hats, appearing to enjoy beer, pasties or a bacon sandwich.
At least nowadays they carefully avoid kissing babies. After the election they broadly follow the same course, the difference only
being felt by extreme ends of the income spectrum. Other long standing issues are never addressed for fear of upsetting minorities
whose votes may be needed next time. If you refuse to follow a particular herd, you can become a swing voter, but you only get to
choose between candidates presented by a party machine, each with a packaged agenda of issues selected to get support,
no "pick and mix" on issues, so overall very similar, any link to manifestos tenuous at best.

They come out of university like Chinese imports, with different badges, but underneath all the same.
Then we have a Boris Johnson, Alec Salmond, or Nigel Farage. Is it any wonder they have an attraction?
You may regard them as dangerous, but the political cartel needs a bloody good shake up.

Christ Dan, you certainly know your stuff. :)

I agree, idiots was a poor choice of description. They are quite the contrary, the most crafty, conniving, manipulative weasels in the business. Lets just call them wankers. lol

But ARE Johnson, Salmond, Farage et al really that different? Or is it just more stage-managed nonsense to make us think they are?

Ref. Salmond for example: if he'd really wanted independence for Scotland, surely he'd have had a plausible plan for the country's future currency at least in the thinking stages, no? He's handed it to the 'No' campaign on a plate by burying his head in the sand on that one IMO.

But ARE Johnson, Salmond, Farage et al really that different? Or is it just more stage-managed nonsense to make us think they are?

Ref. Salmond for example: if he'd really wanted independence for Scotland, surely he'd have had a plausible plan for the country's future currency at least in the thinking stages, no? He's handed it to the 'No' campaign on a plate by burying his head in the sand on that one IMO.

Salmond and Farage are all mouth and no trousers. Boris, even though he is a Tory, could wipe the floor with either of them.

Who in their right mind would want Boris leading the country? lol

Don't get me wrong, he's a likeable chap and probably very intelligent but at the end of it all, he's a clown of the highest caliber.

Christ Dan, you certainly know your stuff. :)

I agree, idiots was a poor choice of description. They are quite the contrary, the most crafty, conniving, manipulative weasels in the business. Lets just call them wankers. lol

I actually know very little about politics, but it's fairly easy to see, if you don't get bogged down with the detail,
or get sucked into one camp or the other. No matter who wins an election the core group of each major party is
still there, with the same pay, and influence so they can make a bit on the side. The cannon fodder in the marginal
seats are the only ones on a 5 year contract, toeing the party line to hopefully get a safer seat in the future.
The core groups don't want any real change, so it won't come from within.

From outside, you have one vote in protest. One line in a politically inclined tabloid can swing many thousands.
Win, lose, or deadlock, the party cores are safe. One or the other could change it, but neither has any incentive,
and they've rigged the system to make sure any new party would need many years to grow and change anything.

And, I'll settle for wankers!:Biggrin2:

I actually know very little about politics, but it's fairly easy to see, if you don't get bogged down with the detail,
or get sucked into one camp or the other. No matter who wins an election the core group of each major party is
still there, with the same pay, and influence so they can make a bit on the side. The cannon fodder in the marginal
seats are the only ones on a 5 year contract, toeing the party line to hopefully get a safer seat in the future.
The core groups don't want any real change, so it won't come from within.

From outside, you have one vote in protest. One line in a politically inclined tabloid can swing many thousands.
Win, lose, or deadlock, the party cores are safe. One or the other could change it, but neither has any incentive,
and they've rigged the system to make sure any new party would need many years to grow and change anything.

And, I'll settle for wankers!:Biggrin2:

Translation: Same shit, new day ;)

At least Boris can laugh at himself ..... Granted he does have to !

Another layer of conspiracy? It's possible with Boris Johnson. He seems to be treated as a bit of a sideshow, not to be taken seriously.
His bumbling image makes him popular, an acceptable "face" of the party if you like. He's very astute when it comes to creating
media attention, and handling it when it backfires, and I imagine he's the same behind the scenes. He's looking well beyond
the next election, a possible "warm up" leader for a party in opposition? Can't see him leading a government, but that can change.

The other two tapped into issues deliberately ignored by the major parties, but for different reasons.

Looking from outside, the SNP roots seem to have an almost tribal identity despite all the years. They seem to have made a
decent job of running Scotland, so gathered further support along the way. They promised a referendum, and whichever way
it goes they kept the promise, not like our weasels. Win or lose, Alec Salmond and the SNP remain, but maybe just running on merit.
He doesn't look like a good loser though, and we gave him bigger rockets.:Biggrin2:
With good will on both sides independence could work, but if there was, the issue wouldn't even arise.

Nigel Farage picked up on rumbling discontent that we'd been railroaded into the EU, based on a 40 year old referendum,
which had nothing to do with being controlled from another country. A lot of people died in two world wars to prevent just that.
Link that to immigration, another cause for concern in most urban areas long ignored, and the LibDem betrayal of the protest vote,
add a charismatic leader, and you're up and running. There's a long way to go, and the electoral system is rigged against them,
but the SNP started from a worse position and look where we are now. UKIP are two issue party and a one man band, but
all attempts to trash them had little effect. They're only asking for the collective right to choose in a long overdue EU referendum,
a simple issue even if the result could be much more far reaching than the Scottish one. I doubt they have any ambition beyond
making sure, if they can, that Scameron doesn't weasel out of the promise they indirectly forced him into.
It doesn't really matter what the rest of their policies are, select bits from the other parties and tweak them a bit, like they all do.
Anything radical would scare the horses, and a few seats may be enough. I've no reason to think Nigel Farage is any less
self centred than the rest, just more certain about the others. Most interesting times for years, hope nothing fizzles.:Biggrin2:

Basically, as long as the country/ world is governed by people, it's always going to be crap. What we need is a super duper computer that you feed in as much info of the world affairs as possible and it chucks out policies based on common sense logic.
Democracy will never really work (even though it's the best we can do) is about satisfying the majority (i think? lol) But the majority aren't always right. If your one of the minority, your always going to be disgruntled. I would say that a huge portion of voters, have not a fcuking clue about what they are actually doing (know nothing about the actual policies (left and right wing). They just follow suit as to what their parents/ grandparents voted for. All they know is, labour are bios to the working class/ poorer and conservative are the opposite. People need to have a lesson in what it's all about before they are allowed to vote lol. It's no good voting for a party that's going to benefit your way of life immediately, if in 15 years, the country will be on it's back and your kids will be screwed. People need to think ahead a bit more.
I will never be a staunch anything. There is a time and place for parties. I will vote for who i think is needed in at the time. Sometimes the country has gone too far to the left and needs a step to the right and vice versa, just to balance out. I suppose the truth lies right in the middle (center/center) haha

Anyway, that's my fountain of nonsense over. lol :)

Back