Bloody Hospitals

ellie1998

Inactive User
Reaction score
A long story.

I got hit rear ended in my car on the m25 on 3rd August while sitting in traffic, at the time went to hospital and just minor whiplash.

On Sunday 5th August my left foot swelled up and I was in agony so I went to the hospital again, they gave me crutches and sent me home with an appointment for 10 days time, they said it's only a sprain it will soon heal itself. I lay on the floor at home for the 10 days with continual pain and couldn't sleep for more than a few hours at a time.

Went back 10 days later and the doctor scratched his head gave me some diclofenac and had a plaster cast put on my foot which he said would help hold it in place for the next 8 days while it healed. He said as my previous x-ray had shown no break that it wasn't broken.

I went back 8 days later and they removed the cast, had another x-ray which still showed no break. They told me just go home and walk on it as it was only sprained. They booked me in for an mri.

I went to the hospital today for the mri results I have bone edemas in the metatarsils and most of the bones in my ankle, I also have been told that I almost certainly will have crps (complex regional pain syndrom), from what I have read it doesn't go away i'm going to have to live with it.

I was fitted with an aircast today which I have to wear for the next 7 weeks.

My rant is they had the mri results 4 weeks ago and havn't bothered to contact me, if I had the aircast 4 weeks ago then I would be on my way to recovery and would have had less chance of permanent nerve damage to my foot. I feel that they have dismissed me for the last 10 1/2 weeks and now they are dropping this crap on me, if they had done their job earlier I could have been ready for work by now.

I have also lost my job as I was self employed and they replaced me 4 weeks ago.

Please no one say what a good payout I will be getting from the other drivers insurance as that really doesn't make me feel any better and won't cover the miserable existance I have been living these last 10 1/2 weeks and have at least another 7 weeks to go being unable to work.

I know how you feel m8 I waiting for an appointment with the gastric people been waiting over a month all ready, but I was told they don't rush themselves, I hate waiting :(

Sorry to hear that mate, last year I done my ankle in working, it swelled enormous and was red and purple that covered every toe and half way up my leg, had it xrayed and was sent home like you. had a bit of physio on it and now a year later it's still not right I'm convinced they missed something. Reading this has just made me doubt the hospital even more lol.

Sent from my telephone.

Sorry to hear that but...

...maybe some hospitals are worse than others. Some people are worse than others.

My experience with hospitals has been mostly good. Sometimes we expect too much of them and sometimes they get a load of sh*t for things they have no control over. Mostly, they do their best.

In an imperfect world I'd rather they were there than not.

Hope things improve Ellie - I'm happy I got my bits working again :)

I think most of the trouble is they are all just worked too hard, too many patients not enough staff, its easy to stop caring or become very negative everything is just rush rush rush, get them out the door ASAP :(

Sent from my telephone.

hope you feel the benefits of the aircast quickly mate, and there's minimal permanent damage
here's to a speedy recovery

Sorry to hear that ellie and i hope you recover quickly from now on.

When my knee went tits up my hospital diana princess of wales hospital gy were absolutly brilliant. I had a ct scan which found dvt and they sent me for an xray. They suspected an infection due to the redness and streaking in my skin. I was admitted that day and put on iv anti biotics they tapped my knee (fook me that hurts) and the next day i had an mri which showed that i had bursitis in the knee aswell. I was dosed up on oramorph and tramadol and felt like a smack head all week. They pumped and unbelievable amount of drugs through me and i was able to be discharged a week later. Recovery took months mind you and the only bad bit was the waiting times for check ups.

I also know how you feel, I was walking on a broken and dislocated ankle for three month, walking 3-5 miles per day, before they admitted they had made a mistake.

THEN they claimed it was too late and now I have to live with bone fragments inside my ankle.

BTW, the swelling took nearly three years to go down, until then my shoe size was 13 instead of 11.

Sorry Ellie but I fail to see how sitting in traffic in your car and being hit from behind can cause a bone edemas in the metatarsils and most of the bones in my ankle, am I missing something?

I had my left foot on the rest next to the clutch, as I had a towbar on it stopped the crumple zones from doing their job, the force went down through the chassis and came up through my foot.

The doctor said it would have been better if a bone had broke as this would have taken the force out of the collision but instead the force rattled all the bones and ligaments in my ankle plus 3 of the metatarsils.

I wouldn't mind but the foot was fine on the friday night and didn't swell until the sunday afternoon the doctor said this is normal as well for this kind of injury.

I know that I will never have a towbar permanantly fixed to my car again, I wouldn't have received these injurys if the crumple zones in the car had not been neutralised by it.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, ellie.

If you want to make a complaint, get in touch with your hospital's PALS team: Home

I do happen to know that fracture clinic doctor is unlikely to have reviewed your MRI report until the day of your clinic appointment... :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles, ellie.

If you want to make a complaint, get in touch with your hospital's PALS team: Home

I do happen to know that fracture clinic doctor is unlikely to have reviewed your MRI report until the day of your clinic appointment... :(

I won't be complaining to the hospital I was just ranting on here as I was p!ssed off. Like speedy I have had good treatment in the past at the hospital when they thought I had serious illnesses.

I hope that they didn't review the mri the day before as it was four week from the mri until my appointment on friday, the mri wasn't looking for a break the doctor thought I had cancer of a bone in my foot (luckily he misread the x-ray). I was pleased on friday to find that it wasn't cancer but bruised bones and muscles.

I posted on here out of frustration as being couped up indoors is driving me mad.

I cant fault the NHS hospital service, I have had three operations on a very private part over the last 4 years and although there is considerable pain especially with a catheter and tap dangling about my neither regions for two weeks at a time the service and politeness of the nursing staff is second to none. Although the waiting time to see a consultant can be a month or two their confidence and enthusiasm always make me feel reassured.
ellie 1998 I understand what you are saying as it's been both costly and may have left you with an ongoing problem, slackness should never be tolerated especially in a medical situation so in your case I would make my feeling well known the the hospital administrator it might save some other poor sod going through what you have.

Back