Blood Sugar high - Do i have Diabetes?

he cant say it in english because its latin :)

hypo = LOW
glycem = BLOOD
ia = SUGER

i think lol it was along time ago i done my first aid in the work place course.

witchy a normal person who`s pancreas is working produce`s insulin to combat the suger levels.
So if you eat a bowl of sugar, your pancreas should produce enough insulin to combat it.

sound like to me you might have symtems of type 2 diabettes that can be controlled through a diet and tablets.

Go for a check up mate before its too late.

@davidh ( hypoglycemic ) , ( Hypo ) for short is when your sugar levels are too low, and your shakey and close to going into a coma.

Last edited:
he cant say it in english because its latin :)

hypo = LOW
glycem = BLOOD
ia = SUGER

i think lol it was along time ago i done my first aid in the work place course.

I was wrong its this way round

hypo = LOW
hyper = HIGH

GLYC = SUGAR
AEMIA = IN THE BLOOD (BLOOD)

close but no cigar

I'm worried by reading this thread, and i am starting to think i may have diabetes. my parents or siblings haven't got diabetes, but my nan has. I'm a bit overweight and ive heard that overweight ppl are prone to type 2 diabetes.
some days i feel pretty tired for no particular reason. do feel thirsty quite alot during the day.:FRIGHT::FRIGHT:

I'm worried by reading this thread, and i am starting to think i may have diabetes. my parents or siblings haven't got diabetes, but my nan has. I'm a bit overweight and ive heard that overweight ppl are prone to type 2 diabetes.
some days i feel pretty tired for no particular reason. do feel thirsty quite alot during the day.:FRIGHT::FRIGHT:
the best way is go see ur doctor and if he thinks there may be a problem he may send u for a blood glucose torrelnce test
this will tell them if u have diabeties
but if it is type 2 u can control it with diet
i didnt
so i now take medics :(

yep looks like I'm off to the Docs next week. things is a couple of months back i took the test witchy talks about in his first post, with the machine and where u prick yourselves and put it on that strip and into the machine. my readings where 7 and sometime below that. that would indicate there is no problem right?

the best way is go see ur doctor and if he thinks there may be a problem he may send u for a blood glucose torrelnce test
this will tell them if u have diabeties
but if it is type 2 u can control it with diet
i didnt
so i now take medics :(

So, does uncontrolled Diabetes Type 2 lead to Type 1?

Type 1 is more serious?

@ Erazor786, I reckon your score of 7 is good and nowt to worry about, I suppose it really depends on the last time u ate though.

I've been doing a lot of reading tonight, and now I'm a Diabetes expert ;)

Lol, i am partial to an ice cold beer m8. not really don't drink m8, but honestly i do love an ice cold can of Irn Bru. nothing quenches the thirst better!:proud:

PS. Apologies for hijacking the thread:Doc:

Type 1 is more serious?

@ Erazor786, I reckon your score of 7 is good and nowt to worry about, I suppose it really depends on the last time u ate though.

type 1 is controlled by injections and your pancreas doesnt work anymore which is what i have and type 2 is tablet controlled and your pancreas works but not enough me thinks..:)

No.

Type 1 diabetes mellitus - aka T1DM, previously known as juvenille type or insulin dependant diabetes (abbv. IDDM) - develops when the immune system attacks the pancreas (the beta cells in the islets of Langerhan to be exact). Suffers are then unable to produce insulin so need daily insulin injections. Usually T1DM develops before age 25 (hence the old name of juvenille), but can also come about in later life - my Dad was diagnosed T1DM in his early 30's.

Type 2 diabetes mellitus - aka T2DM, previously maturity onset or non-insulin dependant diabetes (abbv. NIDDM) - is due to the pancreas not producing enough insulin or they become insulin resistant (or a combination). Suffers are ideally treated with diet first but many need oral anti-diabetic drugs (e.g. metformin). However, whilst some enevitably progress to needing insulin, their type of diabetes does not changed and they should medically be referred to as a 'type 2 diabetic on insulin'.

Type 1 is more serious?

Yes, in that most type 1 pateints tend to have it from youth. Where as type 2 usually develop type 2 in later life. However, there are instances of obese children developing type 2 DM.

The longer morbidity of T1DM means complications become more likely to develop. T1DM patients diagnosed in adolecence have an average life expectancy of 15 years less than the UK mean.

Just to add my dad found that washing his hands with certain soaps (esp. the liquid soaps) would give false high readings.

Got my results today and I'm a Type II Diabetic.

No big suprise as I kinda already knew the results due to my symptoms and I have a family history of it.

They took more blood from me today and they will phone me if they find anything 'interesting', but as it stands just now all I need to do is watch my diet and get some more exercise.

Also did a quickie test in the Docs office, my piss had Glucose and Ketones in it and my Blood had 15.1 thingymabobs of Glucose.

Doc said my piss was like Lucozade ;)

FOR SALE...

1 Fridge Stacked With Tennents and Carling Lager ;)

Last edited:
That's still very high m8. You need to get it down a lot. Best to limit your carbs if you can. If you can't get it below 8 then you may well end up on tablets.Try and exercise, lose a bit of weight if you can and cut back on the carbs.

You can still have a beer m8, but in moderation. If you dont want to drink then ........ how much for the fridge full of beer PMSL

Discussed it with the wife and she said I'm allowed to keep the beer and only have a few cans each week :(

What's the point of that, I want to get pissed :)

Yer 15.1 is way too high, but I was only diagnosed today so I wouldn't expect it to be any lower, I hadn't eaten anything since 10pm last night and I had my test at 2:30pm today. I'll need to start behaving myself :(

Back