Blood Sugar high - Do i have Diabetes?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
My dad has type 2 diabetes for which he takes insulin daily.

He has a wee test kit thing that makes a pin prick in your skin to extract some blood which you them place on a small strip, you then insert the strip into a machine and it reads out the level of sugar in your blood.

Today, I tested myself (just for the sake of it coz i was bored - not because i was feeling unwell or anything) and my blood sugar was 21.2, my dad said this was extremely high and I should make an appointment to see my doc ASAP.

My dad reckons my blood score should have been around 5 - 6 !!

I should mention that for breakfast I had eaten a full scottish breakfast, a small pineapple tart and about 10 liquerice allsorts, 0h and a bag of KP Dry Roasted nuts ;)

Could my result have been a peak as my body was sorting out the sugar, shouldn't my normal self produced insulin prevent my blood sugar from ever reaching this level?

Do I have a problem or is this normal after haven eaten a load of shit? :)

do you drink alot? always feel thirsty and go to the toilet for loads of pee's?

i'd say its just all the shite you've ate lol

that score is a little high 5-6 is spot on for the average person,get on the phone to your clinic and speak to the diabeties nurse,probably just your diet causin it,(vodkas a killer for high suger) keep us posted how you get on

yes are u drinkin alot of fluids? cramp feeling in the back of your legs? your dads type 2 diabetes which is a more common type in old of overweight people, i was diagnosed with type1 diabetes not so long ago i was rushed up the hospital and put on a sliding scale and spent a week in hospital and i'm only 32 and i was having those symptoms u should see your doc theyll test for keytones in your urine unless ure dads got the keytone test strips try again in a couple of hours but yeah 21.2 is quite high mine was over 33* the machine only went to that lol and it took a while to come down too, its the damage sugar causes over a long period of time you should get it sorted

Thanks for the replies guys :)

@ Karym, yes mate, father and brother have it.

When my dad was diagnosed with it I asked my doc to do a full blood test and the results came back negative, then 2 years later my brother was diagnosed so I once again asked my Doc for a test and again that came back negative.

Do people with normal healthy unsulin levels reach peaks like this after a high sugar/carbohydrate meal, I always thought that if Insulin were doing it's job properlly then the sugar levels should never reach the levels I got?

I'll make another appointment, better safe than sorry.

yes are u drinkin alot of fluids? cramp feeling in the back of your legs? your dads type 2 diabetes which is a more common type in old of overweight people, i was diagnosed with type1 diabetes not so long ago i was rushed up the hospital and put on a sliding scale and spent a week in hospital and i'm only 32 and i was having those symptoms u should see your doc theyll test for keytones in your urine unless ure dads got the keytone test strips try again in a couple of hours but yeah 21.2 is quite high mine was over 33* the machine only went to that lol and it took a while to come down too, its the damage sugar causes over a long period of time you should get it sorted

Thirsty, yes considerably more than usual to be honest but I was blaming the weather for it, lol, can rain make you thirsty? ;)

Keytones, yes my dad has the keytone strips, the last time i tested witrh one of those it turned purple which I'm sure was an indication that something was wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

@ Karym, yes mate, father and brother have it.

When my dad was diagnosed with it I asked my doc to do a full blood test and the results came back negative, then 2 years later my brother was diagnosed so I once again asked my Doc for a test and again that came back negative.

Do people with normal healthy unsulin levels reach peaks like this after a high sugar/carbohydrate meal, I always thought that if Insulin were doing it's job properlly then the sugar levels should never reach the levels I got?

I'll make another appointment, better safe than sorry.
best to be safe than sorry.

I know that for some people, high blood sugar comes and goes - however in my experience this has only been women in my family, so possibly not a lot of help.

It is possible you have just had a huge sugar high for a while, how soon after eating did you do the test?

I should mention that for breakfast I had eaten a full Scottish breakfast, a small pineapple tart and about 10 liquorice allsorts, 0h and a bag of KP Dry Roasted nuts ;)

That sounds like a typical coatbridge breakfast mate lol, i would go to the docs and get checked just incase matey.

I should mention that for breakfast I had eaten a full Scottish breakfast, a small pineapple tart and about 10 liquorice allsorts, 0h and a bag of KP Dry Roasted nuts ;)

That sounds like a typical coatbridge breakfast mate lol, i would go to the docs and get checked just incase matey.

Nar mate, a Coatbridge Brekky usually includes a can of Super Lager and a packet of 10p Space Invader crisps. :)

@ Karym, Breakfast was at 10am, test was done at around 5pm.

I popped back round to my dads and did another test, I'm now at 11.4, so my insulin appears to be doing it's job, I'm certainly no expert but I reckon it should be much lower than this considering that I've eaten nothing since approx 11am - I did have a can of Diet Coke at around 4:30, but that's sugar free.

Nar mate, a Coatbridge Brekky usually includes a can of Super Lager and a packet of 10p Space Invader crisps. :)

@ Karym, Breakfast was at 10am, test was done at around 5pm.

I popped back round to my dads and did another test, I'm now at 11.4, so my insulin appears to be doing it's job, I'm certainly no expert but I reckon it should be much lower than this considering that I've eaten nothing since approx 11am - I did have a can of Diet Coke at around 4:30, but that's sugar free.
go see the quack mate.

lol, maybe I shouldn't have taken advantage of ASDA's awesome booze deal, £7.99 for 15 cans of Tennents :)

My dad has type 2 diabetes for which he takes insulin daily.

He has a wee test kit thing that makes a pin prick in your skin to extract some blood which you them place on a small strip, you then insert the strip into a machine and it reads out the level of sugar in your blood.

Today, I tested myself (just for the sake of it coz i was bored - not because i was feeling unwell or anything) and my blood sugar was 21.2, my dad said this was extremely high and I should make an appointment to see my doc ASAP.

My dad reckons my blood score should have been around 5 - 6 !!

I should mention that for breakfast I had eaten a full scottish breakfast, a small pineapple tart and about 10 liquerice allsorts, 0h and a bag of KP Dry Roasted nuts ;)

Could my result have been a peak as my body was sorting out the sugar, shouldn't my normal self produced insulin prevent my blood sugar from ever reaching this level?

Do I have a problem or is this normal after haven eaten a load of shit? :)
type 2 diebeties doesnt use insulin that is type 1
as for blood sugar levels
21.2 is high but it all depends when u took the test
what u want to do is to take 2 tests
test ur sugar levels before breakfast and then test it 1 hr after breakfast
it should be very similar

i know i have type 2 diabeties

type 2 diebeties doesnt use insulin that is type 1
as for blood sugar levels
21.2 is high but it all depends when u took the test
what u want to do is to take 2 tests
test ur sugar levels before breakfast and then test it 1 hr after breakfast
it should be very similar

i know i have type 2 diabeties

Sorry, I get confused with type 1 and type 2, all I know is he takes insulin :)

So since my sugar was still very high after many hours that would indicate a problem?

Sorry, I get confused with type 1 and type 2, all I know is he takes insulin :)

So since my sugar was still very high after many hours that would indicate a problem?
may be but do the test i said test before a meal and 1 hr after a meal buy your self a test kit they can be bought now for £5-6
and make sure u wash ur hands before the test because any food /dirt or liquerice allsorts on ur hands can give a false reading lol

lol, yer I washed the liquorice allsorts off with carbolic soap before i did the test :)

I'll phone my dad and tell him to expect me in the early morning and he'd better have my breakfast ready for me :)

Go to the doctors witchy :)

It will either put your mind at ease or it will help you get the help you could need!

But do remember doctors are sometimes useless!

Regards
Mickie D

Ask someone to smell your breath m8. If they can smell acetone or a peardrops kinda smell then see your gp imediatley m8 as it could be the onset of diabetes.

Back