Birds in the loft

Gargamel

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi ppl, just after a quick bit of advice...

Some birds (don't know exactly what type) have nested in the roof of my mums house and are inside the loft now - can hear them moving around and squawking.

Whats the best way to get rid of them for good? Do I go up there and just destroy the nest and seal any holes or is there a better way to do this sort of thing?

Any advice appreciated!!

if you can hear them "squawking" it sounds like magpies.
those buggers are vicious lol.
i'd get the pest control guys in.

it sit in the attic, with my rifle and scope on night mode

first though id strip naked and wrap myself in the loft insulation so the birds wouldnt see me :proud:

I would imagine they would be Starlings or Sparrows

let them have there first brood then block any holes so they cant get in to nest again

I wouldent
destroy the nest
:(

It is against the law to remove most types of breeding birds, I would do as Rat suggested and once the young have left the nest, get rid of it and block up the holes.

At saying that....digi's idea about the loft insulation would be really interesting, maybe you should try that.

...digi's idea about the loft insulation would be really interesting, maybe you should try that.

Yeah true - good shout - plus me mum is an OAP now so i'm sure she must qualify for some sort of free or discounted loft insulation - will look into it.

It is against the law to remove most types of breeding birds.

Indeed it is !

all birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law (with certain exceptions).

You must not intentionally:-

Kill, injure or take any wild bird
Take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird
Destroy the egg of any wild bird
Have a wild bird (dead or alive ), egg or part of a bird that has been taken illegally

Once a nest is in use you may not interfere with it until any chicks have fledged (usually around August). In the case of swallows and house martins who tend to nest in the eaves of dwellings, a nest will remain in use throughout the summer until the birds leave on their autumn migration towards the end of October.

You may be sent to prison for six months and/or fined upto five thousand pounds for interfering with a wild bird or its nest !!!

We had our roof retiled 2years ago and while the tiles where off it left a couple of nests in the open with young chicks in, next day they where all gone to Magpies that roam the trees in my back garden (i back onto local park) the workmen sent round inspectors from RSPB because they thought we or the neigbours had done it.
It happend to every house in the street because they did the roofs this time of year.

you can kill the birds and remove the nest and eggs but as said in part of nozzers post, only in certain situations and depending on what species of birds they are

Exceptions

Last edited:
maybe if u acidently left a cat in the loft it may eat your problame birds :)

lol! i did actually consider asking one of her neighbours to lend us their cat for a couple of hours to do that mate.

but then i started thinking that the cat might just leave loads of rotting dead bits of bird flesh all over the loft and muggins here having to spend the weekend up there scraping it all out b4 the maggots set in!

(apologies if ur eating dinner & reading this!!)

Back