Beware of the bull

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Now the better weather is here some members (like me) are gearing up for a bit of walking so it may be worth a country note.

Setting aside the more lurid accounts of walkers being killed or injured by cattle a few simple precautions will see you through.

Farmers have a 'duty of care' with regard to where they graze cattle but bear in mind bulls can be kept pretty much anywhere up to 10 months old by which time he'll weigh around 450-500Kg (or half a ton) and if he hasn't been snipped he will probably be just starting to get a bit unpredictable. Cattle don't like dogs much so, if you're out with Rex for his constitutional roll in the cow pats, a short lead would be good.

Cattle are nosy so don't turn your back on them. Avoid bright and/or flapping clothing (forget red, that's BS). Be especially wary if there are calves about. Cattle breed year round so forget Spring too! Give them a wide berth even if it means straying from the permitted path. Remember, they might LOOK lumbering but they can shift if they want to. Try to keep to a route with escape options.

Some farmers deliberately put cattle in fields with a permitted path through it because they don't want you there. On the other hand claiming your 'rights' probably won't be high on your list of priorities after being trampled by half a ton of p*ssed off bull.

Enjoy your walk and apply some common-sense to stay safe :)

And another very important thing to remember is "Don't Leave Anything Behind" ...................Litter can be dangerous as well as annoying, and so is dog sh*t !! So pick it up and use a bin the next time you see one !!
Other than that, enjoy yourself and everything the countryside has to offer.

I did a job on a farm a few years ago, i thought "this is nice and peaceful". Then the farmer let the cows out. Frightened the life out of me: they are maniacs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are walking with your dog and you are charged let the dog go.Cows/bulls will chase the dog ,but the dog will out run them.

Back