Best Home Server Software (what you got)

What Server Software Do You Use

• FreeNAS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu Server Edition

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Apache

• Debian

• Windows Home Server

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CoolHandLuke

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey folks I am going to put my old Desktop Tower to use and build a cheap home server, there is lots of software options out there, so I was wondering what most people prefer.

My server will be pretty basic with only 4GB RAM, intel 2.6 ghz cpu , 2 x1TB WD Ext Drives and a 500GB Internal Sata Drive.

I was going to splash out for a decent server from over clockers, but I cant see the point in spending over £650, when I have a max 100mbps lan connection, and only have a max of 12.5 Meg/sec transfer rate.

So to me forking out hundreds of pounds with a home 100mb connection is a waste of money ? I could be wrong.

Anyone run a home server ? any view's hints and tips are welcome, like cheap hosts or free software like logmein for family members.

Cheers for any input...

Last edited:
I still use windows server 2003, its like your setup by the sound of it domain authentication and AD, file and print server with a bit of dhcp for some devices and dns.

Installed it about 2004/5 added some disks and memory over the years but it just sits there doing what its asked to do all in the backgound, oh added some file and folder replication software last year as a first line in data backup.

i did download server 2008 and home server 2012 but tbh i couldn't see the point atm its working and family don't notice it cos it works.

Last edited:
I'm using W2K8 R2 but lots of people I know are using Win7. There is also Windows Home Server (WHS) which is basically a skinned version of W2K8/12.

You could go down the linux root, it has less system overhead but its a whole new O/S to learn.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

Oh, and you need to add windows server + win7 to your poll

Ah windows home server is on the poll should be there 5th, I am thinking of going down the ubuntu server option, I used ubuntu for a year are so, and I have owned quite a few linux sat boxes so I think I have just enough experience to manage what I want to do.

Basically I just want it to be a storage box, PC SOFTWARE ,ANDROID APPS ,MOVIES,GAMES,PHOTOS, I just want to put all my junk and mess In one place.

Ive no experiance with streaming movies from the server, Im doing a little reading on that now, and It looks like I will have to upgrade my graphics card, as It's only got a on board device that really does not handle FULL HD films well.

I know ubuntu and debian hardly use any resource's and keep the CPU nice and cool, so probably the best option with a cheap set up, remote access and downloading files does not seem a hard task, but actually streaming media does seem like it's going to take a little work, so I am having a good read tonight when the misses is asleep with my little tourch and ear muffs on best time to concentrate lol

Last edited:
XBMC 12 Frodo - Release........ looks a decent option for streaming media as it has UPnP and covers all platforms seems popular with linux users.

Ah windows home server is on the poll should be there 5th,

Windows Home Server and W2K8/12 are different products.

Ive no experiance with streaming movies from the server, Im doing a little reading on that now, and It looks like I will have to upgrade my graphics card, as It's only got a on board device that really does not handle FULL HD films well.

What are trying to do, you talk about streaming and then talk about the graphics card ? Are you saying that you want to attached the server to your TV and playback media from local disk and from internet ?

Just wondering why you would think you need to spend £650 to buy a server, I have a ML110 that cost me £285.

Also don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure you understand server/client setups fully. I'm running VMware 5, with a few Win 2K8 R2 VMs for different functions, and an ISCSI NAS, which I use to stream media from to my DLNA devices or ATV, but i will probably upgrade to Server 2012 Standard soon.

You don't need to upgrade any graphics on your server if all you are doing is streaming.

Sent from my iPad

Also running a ML110G5 here. Shame they have stopped the cash back deal on the N40L microserver, that was an insane bargain at under £150. I believe there is a newer model coming out.

Know plenty of people who how put in a £30 video card and use them as NAS drivers, media playback and VM hosts.

Back