Best Antivirus/Spyware

lasor

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

I am looking for advice on the best antivirus, firewall and spyware software, paid or free..

I know all have different opinions and it would be great to hear some views..

May even be worth setting a poll if there isnt already one?

Thanks

Last edited:
NOD32, best Antivirus bar none.

Was using Outpost but hogged PC too much. Moved onto Jetico which came top in tests and best thing its totally FREE, and is very low on resources.

I bet you any money that if Kaspersky & NOD32 were to have a fight. NOD32 would kick Kaspersky's ass no problem!!!!

lol

NOD32 all the way for me

you would lose your money mate, trust me on that :proud:

I cant belive not one person uses F secure its made massive strides in 2005/2006 and has to be recognised as one of the best Norton Done the damage an 2004 and cant really improve much apart from the regular updates
hence PC world still use norton 2004 AVG made waves also in 2005 with theres free antivirus and won awards and is simple to use.

Lavasoft Adware is free and has to be the best spy squasher out there
download the pro version and get ad-watch sitting on gaurd 24-7 on your desktop.

Why not download the free trials and see what you like but for me its deffo
lavasoft adware SEpro and F-secure oh and what a novel in the other post
Im a hacker ( Im a hacker ) tell the world mate lol :Chainsaw:

why, do you think all hackers are bad criminal types or something?
if that was the case why would there be conventions like BlackHat, DefCon etc...
hacking aint all about l33t h4x0rz infecting n00bs with trojans and crap, its all about being interested in security and how that security can be bypassed and therefore improved and a general thirst for knowledge.
i can take a public backdoor/trojan type file that is detected by every antivirus out there, and in less than 10mins edit that file a little so no antivirus can detect it but the file itself still works.
who would you rather have give you advice on which software to use?

1. some random dude on a forum who says hes used x software for years without any problems yet.

or

2. a hacker who has tested almost every single antivirus and spyware app on the market and with a little bit of work can bypass every single one of them undetected.

the fact is you are not 100% safe with any antivirus but by far the hardest one to get malicious files past undetected is Kaspersky so therefore it offers the best protection.
it runs faster, smoother and detects more than any other app and it has the fastest definition updates.
trust me i know what i`m talking about :proud:

I'm Running XP64 . Using Nod32 64Bit Antivirus ,Spybot Search & Destroy ,Spyblaster,Microsoft Defender, Lavasoft adaware. Other tools as & when needed.

I clean this Virus & Spyware shyte for a living. Get plenty of people with Norton installed & PC's slow & full of crap.

Excellent response and debate guys..

My personal 2 cents worth is there are a small number of good virus detection programs such as kaspersky, nod and avg that do an adequate job at detecting viruses. and there are a large number of virus programs usually large corprate companies that do a very basic job and take up a lot of systems resources.
At the end of the day I suppose it comes down to personal choice and also would depend on what sites you visit and what sort of stuff you are downloading. For example I would think that if you spent most of your time on ptp sites such as kaaza then you would be taking a big risk with just basic virus protection.

Thanks to everyone for their contribution in this thread...

Use AVG free edition, Zone alarm , windows defender.
never had any problems so far, and it aint cost me a penny.

i was using avast and windows firewall until today but i am now moving to kasperspy from what you guys have posted. cheers for info

I was using Avast pro. until last week - it kept complaining that I didn't have a valid serial and refused to update :FRIGHT:

Unistalled it and am now trying nod32.

W.

i was using avast and windows firewall until today but i am now moving to kasperspy from what you guys have posted. cheers for info

wahey someone actually listened :banana:
you might want to try a new firewall as well cos windows only blocks incoming connections which is kinda useless

sygate pro is a good choice mate i use it myself, just a shame symantec bought the company and discontinued it.

anyway my current setup atm is...
Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Pro 5.0.527
Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5.2710
PC Tools Spyware Doctor 4.0.0.2618
i also use the hardware firewall in my router

Back