Benq weirdness.

Smokin..o0O

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey all.
Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem.
Flashed a brand new benq drive. No problems flashing at all, but stick a backup copy in and it won't play.
Plays originals fine, but backups throw up this message:
"To play this disk, put it in an Xbox 360 console".

I have flashed it using dos flash and also iprep with no obvious problems, and both progs complete 100%.
Flashed it back to original and redone the firmware 6 times, each with same result.
I'm putting it all back together now, it can f**k right off, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced similar.
I have done lots of boxes including benq, but never seen the likes of this before.

i know you have probably already considered this mate but have you tried different brands of dl's perhaps the drive dont like certain types ive done a couple of benqs bought at christmas and ive never seen anything like that

i know you have probably already considered this mate but have you tried different brands of dl's perhaps the drive dont like certain types ive done a couple of benqs bought at christmas and ive never seen anything like that
I probably should have stated, all my backups are and have only ever been on verbs.
Just weird that straight out the box and flashed, never even powered on by its owner, it behaves like it's never been flashed.
I won't waste any more time on it, but I am intersted to know why this could possibly happen.

What firmware did you flash it with mate and what speed did you use?

Hi mate.
I used iextreme 1.41 and tried 8x and 12x.
These are the only 2 speeds I ever used on benqs before.

That is weird then mate...Only reason I asked was because I thought you might have used 1.4 on x8 speed maybe and obviously the 1.4.1 was released to fix this ;) I'm happy to have a look at it for you if you wanna send it to me?

sorry didnt read all of his post was going to say try reflashing it again lol dont think it would go down very well he seems upset.

Last edited:
Still sounds like a media issue to me - even though it were Verbs, either that or a dodgy flash.

Thanks all for the support.
I got so pissed off with it, I left it flashed with the 1.41 firmware and screwed it all back together.
My mate came to collect it and I showed him how it wouldn't play any backups.
We did notice, that everytime the console was switched on, it would boot to the green games blade. Change it to orange xbox live blade and everytime it was rebooted, it would boot to the green games blade again. Just another bit of weirdness:)
But that's not the end, my mate took it to the guy who owned the xbox, his brother in law, he sticks in a backup and it won't play. He stuck his hard drive onto the box, hooked it up and switched it on. Straight away it took an update. He launched the game that was still in the drive, and the fekker played !

So there we have it. first time I ever came across this, and I have done a few consoles straight out the box.
Hours of my Sunday wasted instead of the 10 minutes it usually takes.

Glad you got it sorted mate :proud: ... I didn't quite make the connection before because of the different drives involved but when broken down this sounds like a similar problem very occassionally appearing with the v78 post flash lol...have a read here and you'll see the similarities....

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/166996/

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got it sorted mate :proud: ... I didn't quite make the connection before because of the different drives involved but when broken down this sounds like a similar problem very occassionally appearing with the v78 post flash lol...have a read here and you'll see the similarities....

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/166996/
I didn't know it was sorted till it was gone from here :)
Leads me to wonder if the console was never connected to the net would it ever have played backups?
Anyway the guy's happy and I'm recovering :Cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't know it was sorted till it was gone from here :)
Leads me to wonder if the console was never connected to the net would it ever have played backups?
Anyway the guy's happy and I'm recovering :Cheers:

LOL...I reckon if it was never connected to the net then it would just take an update from either a game disc or a disc burnt with the update from xbox.com mate so I reckon the answer to your question is that provided an update was supplied to the console via an offline source it would still be good to go (once you had worked out that it actually needed an update ofcourse which is why threads like this are so important to the forums) :)

LOL...I reckon if it was never connected to the net then it would just take an update from either a game disc or a disc burnt with the update from xbox.com mate so I reckon the answer to your question is that provided an update was supplied to the console via an offline source it would still be good to go (once you had worked out that it actually needed an update ofcourse which is why threads like this are so important to the forums) :)
It's all well and good applying logic after the fact :)
Seriously though, have you ever come across a console that once flashed wouldn't play backups under the circumstances I explained?
By the way, the guy who owned the console gave me his old console which he had just replaced as a thanks for flashing his. Only problem I can find is no output to screen.
There's no red lights flashing and everything seems normal.
I use a VGA cable to connect it to screen, so maybe I'll look out the standard cable and try component and composite.
I agree that many posts do a lot of good for the forum. Over the years, I really haven't had to ask many questions as just about everything I wanted to know could be found after some reading, sometimes days of reading here :)
Till lately I hadn't had much to say, but recently it seems I can't shut up.
:Cheers:

Certainly a new one to me mate, one to remember.

Back