Belkin Router WEP Problem

derekwd

Inactive User
Reaction score
Been on broadband for about six months with belkin router, my pc is connected straight to router with cable, my daughter and grandaughter are connected wirelessly, have not had a problem uptill now, i can still connect to internet ok but the wireless ones both come up on pc to enter a wep incryption key in 64 or 128 bit have tried random numbers ect but fails, i have not changed anything ie settings ect. it just happened today.
I realise it is a security thing but no idea of what to enter or were to find the so called WEP key.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Derek

sounds like someone has accessed your router and changed some settings m8 , not sure how techy u r so the easiest way is to power off the router and find the reset button and keep it held down then plug power in again after a few seconds this should set everything back to the default factory settings.

Then I would access the router using the ip address thats in the manual and change the password on it and enable the wep again making note of the keys that your given as the wireless lappies will need to enter them to connect.

any probs let me know and i'll help u out

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Nilrem, your a star and no mistake got it all working again.

Right, went into settings for router and switched on security set to 128 bit, typed in passphrase to generate hex pairs, but when i try to put the hex pairs in laptop it fails saying it must be 40 bits or 104 bits, this can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters, have tried with commas and spaces between each pair.

just checked and it gave me 13 hex pairs, ie b5 93 ee.
cheers derek

the WEP key has no spaces or commas between the pairs ...so make sure there are no typo's in it and u should be ok

Cheers

Last edited:
no probs....by the way did u change yr router password ?

yeah, make sure you don't leave the default password on, for accessing the router, change it.

Back