Wep and wpa passwords

petedajag

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there

I have a netgear router with a wpa passcode, but i have a laptop asking for a wep key?

I accessed the router to change from wpa to wep, but i cant see what the key is? I try to enter the router passcode , but asks for hexidecimal, which i understand.

Question is, how can i get this lappy on wireless when i cant enter wep passcode?

Thanks

the wireless driver on the laptop might need updating so it recognises WPA/WPA2 (if it's an older laptop)

Connect it via cable, look for the updated driver, install it, disconnect cable and try re-connect.

Hi there

I have a netgear router with a wpa passcode, but i have a laptop asking for a wep key?

I accessed the router to change from wpa to wep, but i cant see what the key is? I try to enter the router passcode , but asks for hexidecimal, which i understand.

Question is, how can i get this lappy on wireless when i cant enter wep passcode?

Thanks

What router is it M8? Some routers can support both WEP and WPA at the same time. You may have to enter the HEX code as 0xabcd1234 etc.

ManofScience - would i go into device manager, right click on wireless card and update driver from there? I have windows xp, does that search for driver online? Thanks

Him her - Router is the netgear router from verminmedia, it has no hexcode on it. It has a passcode which is 6 letters, which I use for wpa. It works no probs with other lappy and ipad. When i accessed router, it has radio buttons to choose, it is only 1 at a time, how could it support wpa and wep? Where/how would i get a hexcode? Thanks

ManofScience - would i go into device manager, right click on wireless card and update driver from there? I have windows xp, does that search for driver online? Thanks

in Device Manager, get the make/model i.e. Realtek 815bl - then google that

Him her - Router is the netgear router from verminmedia, it has no hexcode on it. It has a passcode which is 6 letters, which I use for wpa. It works no probs with other lappy and ipad. When i accessed router, it has radio buttons to choose, it is only 1 at a time, how could it support wpa and wep? Where/how would i get a hexcode? Thanks

Try @ManofScience suggestion first. However, some devices can't do WPA so you may have to configure the router for WEP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like i am screwed with updating ieee minipci wireless network adapter driver by micro-star, as last update 2003, lol! I am guessing if i revert back to wep on my router settings, my old lappy will work? Will my ipad and newer lappy find it ok though? I am goosed, i have spent all day looking at google for suggestions! Thank for help

Looks like i am screwed with updating ieee minipci wireless network adapter driver by micro-star, as last update 2003, lol! I am guessing if i revert back to wep on my router settings, my old lappy will work? Will my ipad and newer lappy find it ok though? I am goosed, i have spent all day looking at google for suggestions! Thank for help

My iPad works fine on WEP so you should be okay with that and the newer lappy :)

just be aware the WEP encryption can be broken fairly easily if somebody wanted to. Not saying that its likely to happen for average home user unless you have some script kiddie living nearby who can pick up the signal but the tools are out there.

Thanks. Quick question -

Using WPA on my router I use passkey on base of router to access wireless from any source, but if I access router and change to WEP, where do I get password from, do I make my own?

Thanks. Quick question -

Using WPA on my router I use passkey on base of router to access wireless from any source, but if I access router and change to WEP, where do I get password from, do I make my own?

yes you choose your own one, in fact it would also make sense to change the WPA one if you are going to be using WPA.

I've sent you a pm, hope it works.

Just tried it on my system and picked up the pw in hex, but says this should work.

Last edited:
Back