Been off the scene far too long - Need some refreshing

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I was wondering what has changed since I have last been active on this part of DW.

I flashed my hitachi drive a couple of years ago i think using a SLAX CD.

After that I used to rip games using a Pioneer 112d drive and then burn them using a samsung sh-d162c kreon drive (v0.81). I sold those dvd drives now.

Is it all still the same? Do I need to update the firmware of the 360 drive?

Do I need to buy those DVD drives again or can I find a single DVD drive that will do the ripping of originals and burning of backups?

Also, which Blank media is the best since I have 3 backup games downstairs and only 2 of the 3 are playing! I think coz they are some chinese/japanese "aone" make.

Can anyone provide me with info or an updated guide which will show me the way :)

Cheers

Hi m8,

There are any amount of stickies and posts on this now as people are asking similar questions quite often now, you do need to upgrade your firmware, jungle flasher is the easiest way of doing this, again, lots of posts and guides, far too many to scroll and post in here

Hey m8

I knew I woz gonna get grilled! lol.

Sorry for posting like a n00b. I just been looking up the JungleFlasher. Is the latest version in DW downloads or do they have a site? I got a hitachi drive in my 360.

So how is Jungle Flasher better than what I used before? From what i have read so far, it is a GUI interface for all flashing needs and it supports liteon drives. I understand it also needs a connectivity kit like the one from team xecuter. Am i right?

It seems that The only way to read and burn is having 2 seperate drives. Correct?

to rip games you will need a kreon..

or with the latest fw you can use your 360 drive..

you dont need the conecitivity kit.. just makes life easier for liteons (and if your not sata enabled)

any DL dvd burner will burn the games tho the pioneer's seem to be highly recommended

as for media buy what you can afford..

i have used these
CMC Unbranded Printable 2.4x Double Layer DVD+R - SVP

and so far a 0% failure rate

go there and grab jf ***.jungleflasher.net/

Yes you will still need 2 drives, although most just grab from decent sites / newsgroups

latest firmware for your hitachi is 1.51, this will alow you to play wave 3 games, you will also need abgx to check your games

grab that from h**p://abgx360.net/

Cheers

Thank neorage and iliveinuk. Your posts were very clear.

I was thinking of getting the 360 Blaster for making future firmware upgrades easier. Do you guys open yours up each time or have a gizmo like the xecuter blaster kit?

Guess it's time for me to get at least a pioner drive.

Are newsgroups any good for games? I did download a few games from torrents but they were useless! Had to rip originals in the end.

Cheers

BTW, do I have to restore my original firmware. I was reading in one of the threads that the software does it automatically, but that could have been ixtreme. Can someone just shed some light on this.

Last edited:
Thank neorage and iliveinuk. Your posts were very clear.

I was thinking of getting the 360 Blaster for making future firmware upgrades easier. Do you guys open yours up each time or have a gizmo like the xecuter blaster kit?

Are newsgroups any good for games? I did download a few games from torrents but they were useless! Had to rip originals in the end.

Cheers

BTW, do I have to restore my original firmware. I was reading in one of the threads that the software does it automatically, but that could have been ixtreme. Can someone just shed some light on this.

i oipen up my 360 every time
tho the blaster kit does look good and can be used for rippping games to your pc...

as fo ngroups..

only ever had one bad image from the grups.. that just wonlunt burn correctly

eveything else no problmes.. since newsgroups i havent touched torrents

as for restoring your fw no...

not needed it will read the dvd key from the older firmware

jungleflasher iss your frind :D

Dont bother, save your cash and spend it on a hooker

Good move

Yes, always restore a Hitachi first, get the JF f/w pack, stick it inside /firmware/ in the JF directory,.

Modeb. restore, then, flash iXtreme

i oipen up my 360 every time
tho the blaster kit does look good and can be used for rippping games to your pc...

as fo ngroups..

only ever had one bad image from the grups.. that just wonlunt burn correctly

eveything else no problmes.. since newsgroups i havent touched torrents

as for restoring your fw no...

not needed it will read the dvd key from the older firmware

jungleflasher iss your frind :D

That's a good point mate and funnily enough you answered the question that I had forgotten! lol. It would mean that I don't have to fork out on a new drive.

Sounds like this is a 360 modder's dream :)

Dont bother, save your cash and spend it on a hooker

Good move

Yes, always restore a Hitachi first, get the JF f/w pack, stick it inside /firmware/ in the JF directory,.

Modeb. restore, then, flash iXtreme

lol, that's a fair point. I just can't be asked to keep opening it up and fiddling about with it. Altho I bought the case opening tool this week :)

Kool, i'll look on flebay or can I get them cheaper anywhere else?

Okay, I have to get the firmware pack. I did download the 1.6 pack from the downloads section, and tht 1.5 ixtreme. Is that what I need? once i stick it inside the firmware directory the software will find it right?

Well you'll need th JF originals to restore too.

I cant link as that would be illegal, and we like to stay legal with JF.

Well you'll need th JF originals to restore too.

I cant link as that would be illegal, and we like to stay legal with JF.

You just lost me there mate

What do I need to restore? I thought I didn't need to worry about restoring my original firmware as JF does that for me.

Could you PM me?

Thanks

No, I do not distribute copyrighted firmwares, even via PM.

JF will automate it, but it needs the firmware in the firmware folder to be able to do so.

No, I do not distribute copyrighted firmwares, even via PM.

JF will automate it, but it needs the firmware in the firmware folder to be able to do so.
Oh, so what is this firmware? Would I have it? I got the original firmware before I installed new firmware using the SLAX i believe and of course i have the modified firmware.

any pointers in the right direction?

Edit: I have these files from my searching around on dw:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Is that what I need?

Last edited:
thats what he means, no point just have the 1.51 firmware for hitachi :)

Thanks for replies guys

Just wanted to know that whether or not I would be protected from xbox live bans? I did read somewhere that I should only play games on xbox live after their official release date to save from being banned.

I am one of the lucky one i guess that hasn't been banned. Would I be able to restore the original firmware if i wanted to either sell my console on or use xbox live without risking a banning?

have you took the latest update when you connect your 360 to the net?? You might get a surprise like i did yesterday, I lost one yesterday from the kids room, they had played a lot of my old games, ones which hadnt gone through abgx, always check your games through that, some wont pass either because its just not on the data base, forza motorsport 2 for instance, been out a long time, yet wont pass on it, and of course new releases wont until its gone official release day normally and someone has upped to their data base, from now on, I wont play anything on my 2 good 360's till after release date and after passing on abgx, I can always use a banned console if they never pass or are before release date :)

Its up to you, some peeps on here dont care and just play the things, and surprisingly they seem to get away with it, others just get banned and get a newer unit

As for selling on or sending back, most on here send back with the firmware still on their drives, I have and im sure a lot more have, depending on how you opened your 360 normally suggests if they will fix it or not and nowt really to do with what firmware is on your drive, obviously a banned console wont register and you cant send back if its rrod

Hope this helps, now im off to watch the bikes on eurosport :)

have you took the latest update when you connect your 360 to the net?? You might get a surprise like i did yesterday, I lost one yesterday from the kids room, they had played a lot of my old games, ones which hadnt gone through abgx, always check your games through that, some wont pass either because its just not on the data base, forza motorsport 2 for instance, been out a long time, yet wont pass on it, and of course new releases wont until its gone official release day normally and someone has upped to their data base, from now on, I wont play anything on my 2 good 360's till after release date and after passing on abgx, I can always use a banned console if they never pass or are before release date :)

Its up to you, some peeps on here dont care and just play the things, and surprisingly they seem to get away with it, others just get banned and get a newer unit

As for selling on or sending back, most on here send back with the firmware still on their drives, I have and im sure a lot more have, depending on how you opened your 360 normally suggests if they will fix it or not and nowt really to do with what firmware is on your drive, obviously a banned console wont register and you cant send back if its rrod

Hope this helps, now im off to watch the bikes on eurosport :)

I have never connected it to the net! I actually took it out to play Forza Motorsport 2 funnily enough!

I think it's now time for me to get a drive and start making my backups :)

Thanks for the info and help mate :banana:

Back