BBC dominates Christmas ratings

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The BBC comprehensively won this year's Christmas ratings battle, taking nine out of ten places in the Christmas Day top ten.

The most-watched programme of the day was EastEnders, which managed a massive 13.9 million viewers for the culmination of a long-running storyline at 8pm. Last year's most-watched programme was The Vicar of Dibley with just 11.4 million.

A festive edition of Doctor Who featuring Kylie Minogue had a very strong showing, with an average of 12.2 million and a peak of 13.8 million. Other BBC successes included a new episode of To The Manor Born, with 9.8 million, Shrek 2, with 9.1 million, and a festive Strictly Come Dancing, with 7.1 million.

The Queen's Speech averaged 7.5 million viewers, comprising 5.9 million watching on BBC One and 1.6 million on ITV1.

ITV1's top-rated programme of the day was an hour-long Coronation Street, which averaged 8.9 million from 8.30pm. Its next best performing show was Emmerdale with just 5.8 million.

Overall in primetime, BBC One averaged a comfortable 45.2% audience share against ITV1's 24.2%.

"It’s heartening to see that the great tradition of Christmas family viewing seems to be alive and well," said Roly Keating, acting controller of BBC One. "We were delighted that audiences found so much to enjoy in our line-up of programmes on BBC One. From the compelling drama of EastEnders to a spectacular Doctor Who and the welcome return of To The Manor Born, this was a Christmas when some of the nation’s favourite performers and writers did us all proud."

Christmas Day Top Ten:

1. EastEnders (8pm, BBC One): 13.9 million

2. Doctor Who (6.50pm, BBCOne): 12.2 million, peak 13.8 million

3. EastEnders (6.20pm, BBC One): 11.6 million, peak 11.8 million

4. BBC News (6.05pm, BBC One): 10.4 million, peak 10.1 million

5. To The Manor Born (9.30pm, BBC One): 9.8 million, peak 10.1 million

6. Shrek 2 (4.40pm, BBC One): 9.1 million, peak 10.1 million

7. Coronation Street (8.30pm, ITV1): 8.9 million, peak 9.6 million

8. Strictly Come Dancing (8.30pm, BBC One): 8.3 million, peak 9.9 million

9. The Queen's Speech (3pm, BBC One & ITV1): 7.5 million

10. Finding Nemo (3.10pm, BBC One): 7.1 million, peak 8.3 million

ffs - there's some sad people out here if the best they can do on Christmas day is watch Eastenders !

We had eastenders on ( the Mrs's choice) so I watched it out of curiosity having not seen it for about 18 months.
It dawned on me exactly what I was missing .................... Nothing......... who would watch a wedding dvd on xmas day ?? Or am I missing the plot ??

Back