Griffin complaint over BBC 'mob'

v14

Banned
Reaction score
BNP leader Nick Griffin is to complain to the BBC over his controversial appearance on Question Time, saying he had faced a "lynch mob".
Mr Griffin claims the normal format of Thursday's programme was changed and it should not have been held in London.

The fallout from the show - watched by eight million people - has intensified, with Mr Griffin's fellow panellists saying he had been "shown up".
But critics said the show had given the BNP huge publicity.
The BNP claimed 3,000 people had registered to join the party during and after the broadcast.

The BBC has defended the show, which was watched by four times its normal audience but also attracted a large number of complaints, saying it had a duty to be impartial and that audience members had selected the questions which set the programme's agenda.
More than 240 complainants felt the show was biased against the BNP, while more than 100 of the complaints were about Mr Griffin being allowed to appear on Question Time.
In addition, more than 50 people contacted the BBC to show their appreciation for the programme.

'Not a Nazi'
Mr Griffin, who was one of two BNP candidates to be elected to the European Parliament earlier this year, faced robust questioning about his views on race, immigration and the Holocaust from a largely hostile audience.

He criticised Islam, defended a past head of the Ku Klux Klan but insisted that he was "not a Nazi".
In a press conference on Friday, the BNP leader said he would be making an official complaint to the BBC about the programme, saying its normal format had been "twisted" so that it focused solely on his views.
"That was not a genuine Question Time, that was a lynch mob," he said.
He challenged the BBC to ask him on the show again and to allow a wider range of subjects to be discussed.
He also claimed the audience was not representative of the UK as a whole as levels of immigration in London meant it was "no longer a British city".
Mr Griffin's fellow guests on the show said his performance had exposed his real views and the true attitudes of the BNP.
Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said Mr Griffin had been "taken aback" by the hostility of the audience which showed most people in the UK wanted "nothing" to do with his views.
Justice Secretary Jack Straw, also on the panel, said Mr Griffin had been subjected to proper scrutiny and his performance had been "catastrophic".
But Welsh Secretary Peter Hain said the exposure given to Mr Griffin would undoubtedly boost the party's membership.

"They 'hit the big time' in their own words," he said. "You cannot treat the BNP - a racist party with fascist roots - like all the others."

Topical questions
The BNP leader was booed at the start of the hour-long recording and accused of trying to "poison politics".
He insisted his views had been widely misrepresented in the media and denied a string of statements attributed to him.
The show covered topics including whether it was fair for the BNP to "hijack" images of Winston Churchill, whether immigration policy had fuelled the BNP's popularity and whether Mr Griffin's appearance was an early Christmas present for the party.
The only question not to relate directly to the BNP concerned a contentious newspaper article written about the death of Boyzone singer Stephen Gately.
The BBC said the questions had come, as usual, from the audience and were a response to issues in the news over recent days.
"The programme is topical," a BBC spokesman said. "People would accept that the BNP and Question Time have been prominent topics this week."
Members of the audience reflected a cross-section of political views and different backgrounds, the BBC stressed.
The BBC said the audience figures - which peaked at 8.2 million - showed the level of public interest in the scrutiny of elected officials.
"The BBC is firm in its belief it was appropriate for Mr Griffin to appear as a member of the panel," said deputy director general Mark Byford.
Six protesters were arrested and three police officers injured during demonstrations outside BBC Television Centre ahead of the broadcast.

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Griffin complaint over BBC 'mob'

the fact that griffin has been elected should screeeeeeem volumes at our MP's. they should take a good long hard look at themselves and say 'how the fook did he get here?' then they should fix what the voters heard when they elected him. not just that seat but apply these policys across the board so it doesnt happen again. however the mere fact that he was on tv was brilliant. without any real menace he got great debates started between the other mainstream parties all blaming one another for their failings meanwhile griffin sat back and smirked. i beleive that griffin is the politcal fly in the ointment . all the other MP's last night loved the fact they could take pot shots at the guy, so did the audience. again after they got bored with this some real good debates were forced out of these other MP's on the failings of immigration etc. sheer class. i loved the first and only Question Time i have ever watched. it was like a train wreck, i couldnt take my eyes off it.

Having watched it on I player earlier tonight, I have to say he made my skin crawl.

thebigman

He threatened the beeb with legal action if they didn't include him and now he is threatening them for having him on but not to his liking. If he is as smart as he thinks, then he should have realised they would try to get back at him....of course the audience was biased and the questions rigged to make him look bad but he should have been smart enough to know it would be like that and have the answers...he didn't so he is trying to squirm out of it.

Either way, I think it did the BNP more good than harm, he wasn't on looking to convert anti BNP people, he wanted those undecided and he would have always got some by going on. Those opposed to the BNP would never ever vote for them, even if the had the best and most solid solution but he knows that so he targets the confused voters and those who usually don't vote.

Him and his cronies are never on list I get to choose from, I wouldn;t vote for him anyway...not just because he is a racist (Yes your are Mr Griffin) but because his party DO NOT have enough experience or the right policies to run the country.....simples.......:proud:

i didnt see it but i saw the news clips, was he asked any questions by white british people? :eek:) it seems the beeb overcompensated for who he was, with the line of questioning . you know.

I don't know if it was updated but I confess I did not read that actual link V14 posted, I just read what he posted. Having now read the link I found that 22% of those polled said they would consider voting BNP......maybe they will or won't vote that way and maybe they are just mid term dissenters but 22% would be a big vote if it actually happened.

People always think it will never happen but I assure you it can happen. Sein Fein were the political wing of the IRA....I and many others said the people would not vote them in...but it happened and thats what democracy is all about. We now have a leading ex IRA member as deputy 1st minister of NI.

I may not like it but it happened and I accept the way people vote, its not always about what you want personally, you are entitled to your views but so are others.

This is what may happen with the BNP. If they get MPs in the next election then no matter what you think.....its what the people chose.

@messa....damn I never watched it....did she has big tits.....lol

If I were NG I'd be pissed at David Dimbleby for his poor moderating of the show. I personally thought he failed to remain impartial, lost control and allowed everyone to talk over Griffin which didn't aid the discussion at all. Expected a great show and it fell well short.

Griffin's comment about Straws dad being a coward was well funny though.

I don't know if it was updated but I confess I did not read that actual link V14 posted, I just read what he posted. Having now read the link I found that 22% of those polled said they would consider voting BNP......maybe they will or won't vote that way and maybe they are just mid term dissenters but 22% would be a big vote if it actually happened.

People always think it will never happen but I assure you it can happen. Sein Fein were the political wing of the IRA....I and many others said the people would not vote them in...but it happened and thats what democracy is all about. We now have a leading ex IRA member as deputy 1st minister of NI.

I may not like it but it happened and I accept the way people vote, its not always about what you want personally, you are entitled to your views but so are others.

This is what may happen with the BNP. If they get MPs in the next election then no matter what you think.....its what the people chose.

@messa....damn I never watched it....did she has big tits.....lol

Jaffa I only posted the text of the article at the time I read it.

I didn't see a poll at the time of reading and really it wouldn't have been relevant to the story.

But now you mention it in another thread on DW 48.7% said they would vote BNP.

Make of that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought "pathetic" rather than "funny".

I think you're getting confused there nara. Pathetic is being a selfish coward or if you'd a prefer a conscientious objector, not fighting when life and liberty is at threat when it is your duty to do so.

Cowards live when brave soldiers die, laughing at them is the least I can do.

If I were NG I'd be pissed at David Dimbleby for his poor moderating of the show. I personally thought he failed to remain impartial, lost control and allowed everyone to talk over Griffin which didn't aid the discussion at all. Expected a great show and it fell well short.

Is right, I was hoping for a decent show, where Griffin would be put on the spot, along with the others, and be expected to give a good account of themselves, or for the rope to be long enough...

Sadly, it turned into an utter farce, and TBH was so outrageously slanted it was cringeworthy that we were expected to fall for it. If the BNP have a half decent spin doctor, they sh/could come out of the whole debacle very well indeed.

Dimbleby went down in my estimation greatly.

without even a decent debate going on, nick got the regular guys rattled. all the slagging of nick was childish and playground stuff, no real come backs either. this should have been a real showdown, a real chance for decent MP's to tear strips from the BNP, instead nick got the upper hand with very little effort.

and yes the jack straw snipe was excellent, mr high and mighty ryhming off names of proud people who fell and his old boy was hiding! loved it. again poor from the regular guys.

I am a regular viewer of 'Question Time' and I can tell you, this programme was not in the usual format.
There was only one genuine question asked 'about the article in the Mail about Stephen Gately' which turned into a slanging match about homophobia.
It seemed to me that the point of the programme was to belittle Griffin.

In my view, as has already been stated on this thread, the way to defunct the BNP (and any other party come to that) is to find out what their views are on policies, which this programme failed miserably to do.

I think this show did nothing to dissuade those voters who are wavering whether to vote for the BNP in the upcoming General Election, in fact it could be argued that it has swung some of these voters to side with them.

Might be pathetic but true, he just grinned with embarrassment

The case of Straw's father being in prison during the war for not wanting to fight, was even more embarrassing for him when he said he is a third generation Jewish immigrant. You'd think that someone with a Jewish background would have welcomed the fight against the Nazis.

My Dad's better than your Dad - isn't that about primary school debate level: early years?

I think it ranks as pretty pathetic.

My Dad's better than your Dad - isn't that about primary school debate level: early years?

I think it ranks as pretty pathetic.

My point exactly. The fact that some of our posters haven't noticed this is disappointing.

Now come on Hamba and Nara.

I am on the side of Jack Straw, but it was he who brought up brave soldiers dying during WW2 for freedom and liberty, of all colour.

He left himself open, and deserved the cheap shot.

Back