Barclay Card Fraud!!! Help Pls

Davey_H

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hiya Guys, I logged on to my Barclay card statement today as I had an email saying new one was ready and I saw 2 transactions to over £250 each, for something from Next Directory Online, when I looked further I saw that I had nearly £1000 of pending transactions.

I was put through to the fraud people and they said that they were going to send me a letter out which I have to sign, does anyone have any experience of anything like this???

The fraud people have said I need not pay all of my balance it I know that the transactions are not mine......................

I know that them and the outstanding transactions are not mine or any of the families as they don't have access to my card, its in my wallet all the time.

How long will it be before my money back???? Weeks ??? Months????

I'm really tempted to cancel my card as I only use it to keep my credit rating okay..

This is the type of thing I try to avoid on the internet as well, as I have got AVG virus scanner and Spy-bot installed on computer

Most likely your card had been cloned.

I had my MBNA credit card cloned twice a few years ago, the first time MBNA contacted me to say they had seen some suspicious behaviour. The second time was a few weeks later and just as I had received my new card to which I noticed.

On both occasions no money was taking from my account and MBNA actioned the fraud without any issues.

(TT)

You did the right thing by going straight to the card issuer M8. How long depends on the fraud team but when one of mine was stolen it only took a couple of weeks. In the meantime if you want to keep the card I would get a replacement and new pin and destroy the old one (or return it).

I had a card (I assume) cloned a few years back, it was strange because I never used to use the damn thing but me and the missus stayed in a hotel and they required a credit card.

But anyway I hadn't noticed but the card company were pretty good they saw these crazy transactions for sports equipment, it was 5 grands worth. They rung me and asked if it was me to which I obviously said no as the card limit was only 500 quid lol. They cancelled the card there and then and issued a new one.

I asked how this happened and they said that the card was probably cloned somehow. I'm certain it was someone in that hotel as the card hasn't come out my wallet in over a year until that night.

They should hopefully sort it pretty quickly matey as remember its technically fraud against them as they only lend you the credit until you pay the balance.

I Had a similar case around 7 years ago with Barclay Card and to be honest they where really good i contacted the Card issuer who put me in touch with the Fraud team and they just said the Transaction roughly near a Grand for Flight tickets would be put in suspension on my account until they resolved the matter, I never had to pay the amount and it took around 6 weeks but got resolved, Funny thing was around 2 weeks after contacting them there was a program on panorama about card fraud and the Barclay's main Head office in london and Staff there selling peoples card details to India Coincidence LOL

Thanks for the replies guys.
Maybe my card was cloned when I was on Holiday in January, but its strange they only decided to use it now 5 months after I have got back!!!

I have queried the to other transactions to Next On Line, now only awaiting the one to John Lewis, I think the guy said on the phone to go through so I can do the same with them and then back on the phone to fraud division.

Ahh well I guess it can happen to anyone.... If you have a card :(

Thanks for the replies guys.
Maybe my card was cloned when I was on Holiday in January, but its strange they only decided to use it now 5 months after I have got back!!!

Could be that whoever cloned your card sold the details on and from there it was probably sold on in bulk and yours was drawn out of the hat at that particular time.

Isn't that how itusually works? people harvest them and sell them off to the highest bidder?

Barclays are very good at dealing with these,

when mine got compromised they actually rang me to tell me they had stopped a few transactions, turns out they were gambling in Gibraltar.

Barclays are usually quite good with this type of problem and from sending back the form you get it will take between 2 and 4 weeks maximum before you arerunning as normal with your new card.
I had a card that I used as a business card cloned twice in a year, my arrangement was for no overdraught and when I used it I was not even able to go 50p overdrawn, but whoever cloned it managed to buy stuff and take cash to the amount of £6500 over and above my balance in Australia and in different parts of America !
At that time the card was used almost exclusively to purchase fuel and I was pretty sure it was a Shell garage I used regularly, either that or someone at Barclays selling the details.

Just an update guys....

The transactions that were pending one for John Lewis dissapeared and the 2 for next got credited back.
The 2 next ones which were on my current statement have been sorted so that means that my account balance is correct now.

I also had a new card within 4 or 5 days.

Nice one Barclay card :)

I was de-frauded before in Iceland. Barclay card were really good and sorted the problem out fairly quick. Was surprised as thought the process would be long but the fraud team pretty much sorted it straight away and removed the transaction from my next bill.

Back