Astra Diesel service

chrispeters

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ,
wifes car is due a service , im sure i can do it myself !
its 2006 astra 1.3 estate diesel ..

wat parts do i need to get .. ?

how do i reset the inspection light after its done ?

cheers guys

its not called a service when someone is a novice , its called missing problems , anyone can turn a service light out and change the oil but u have to look at the car all the way around , ie springs , bearings , brakes ect .. ect..ect .. have u an antifreeze tester ? battery test . tyre gauge

no wonder this trades on it arse

its not called a service when someone is a novice , its called missing problems , anyone can turn a service light out and change the oil but u have to look at the car all the way around , ie springs , bearings , brakes ect .. ect..ect .. have u an antifreeze tester ? battery test . tyre gauge

hear what ur saying m8. but its not like he's getting a stamp in the book. like every 1 now he's just trying to save a few quid.

You could say the same of every trade though m8,
as long as prices are high,or percieved to be high,especially in this recession then people will try to do things themselves,

But trademen will still be needed for the more complicated and therefore expensive jobs ;)

and with some cars when you change the fuel filter,the car wont start so where do you go from there,got a jack and axle stands so you can check brakes,tools for this and tools for that,gone are the days of vice grips and a hammer.

my bother-in-law did an oil change on his merc last month and text me to ask where the dip stick was .. l didnt text him back to say there wasnt one lol .. then l saw this on facebook yesterday saying he was stuck on the motorway with a blowout lol didnt check the most important things then lol

182538_4977284389541_1996539729_n.jpg

as wiz said m8 all trades are the same. i used to get painter's in joiner's in the lot. cant afford to any more. so al have a go myself. understand ya when its a car "safety and all that" but maybe the op has been reading up and asking for advice to save some coin

l do understand m8 ,, lm abit pissed off , l had to let a good mechanic go last week because we havnt the work for 3 at the moment

I agree with you smirnoff. But TBH when people stop doing electrical work in their own homes and expect people like me to pick up the pieces of their shoddy and downright dangerous work then I will stop doing oil changes and the like on my car. I used to support the protectionism of peoples jobs in all the so called trades. But when I see that a bloody shelf stacker (no offence to shelf stackers btw) at Aldis can now earn what a fully qualified electrician is expected to work for I have now realised that its dog eat dog. I took 5 years to learn my trade now you can with a few grand become a fully
qualified
electrician in 17 dats lmao. Yes 17 days is all it takes to be a spark now a days.
Anyway sorry im going way off topic but just pointing out that this stuff is happening all over in every trade and its even happening on this very forum - but that said that's why we all join a forum anyway - to give and receive help.

I agree with you smirnoff. But TBH when people stop doing electrical work in their own homes and expect people like me to pick up the pieces of their shoddy and downright dangerous work then I will stop doing oil changes and the like on my car. I used to support the protectionism of peoples jobs in all the so called trades. But when I see that a bloody shelf stacker (no offence to shelf stackers btw) at Aldis can now earn what a fully qualified electrician is expected to work for I have now realised that its dog eat dog. I took 5 years to learn my trade now you can with a few grand become a fully electrician in 17 dats lmao. Yes 17 days is all it takes to be a spark now a days.
Anyway sorry im going way off topic but just pointing out that this stuff is happening all over in every trade and its even happening on this very forum - but that said that's why we all join a forum anyway - to give and receive help.

Its the same in our trade we get people thinking yes im an engineer or im a spark so i can do the work. Sadly this has in 1 case that i know resulted in the death of a toddler due to the nephew who is a time served engineer but not trained in our discipline fitting a stairlift for an aunty. He New how to torque bolts and nuts and how to do a bit of electrics but made a fatal but basic error (to the trained) Tragically as a consequence a 2 year old got his head squashed between the footrest and the stair riser and it killed the kid. Safety is paramount so its a small price to pay to have things done by those who are trained to do so

its all too common now "feck it al try it my self" attitude now.i know myself from going from 60 g plus a yr to benefits.no fault of my own.. long story. and its only going to get worse as time gets on. but who do we blame is the big Q

I know IanB but when you tell the gen public about safety and why you are the better choice over the 17 day wonder kid (spark trade) even though you are more expensive you get hit by the
it's not rocket science
line and even more common
well YOU would say that
. TBH I am just like Smirnoff and yourself by the sounds of it - a little bit fed up and pissed off. Not to worry though as I am getting in the groove with a few glasses of said smirnoff right now haha.(while I can still afford it over asda own brand)

but who do we blame is the big Q
Easy that - every fooker else is generally the safest option. The government, the DIY programs, The supposed joke of a skill centre (17 day spark I may have mentioned it before lol), The public for being idiots for accepting the way this country has been run for the last 3 decades. Lastly unfortunately I blame myself as I am obviously part of the problem (we all are arent we) by voting in a shed load of governments who have done nothing for the working ,man and the im alrigh jack attitude which has seen an end to trade unionism and along with it the hard fought for workers rights that forbade the spark from doing the painters job and vice versa. (Hope you get my drift here as spark is what I say as I am one but it used to apply to ALL trades You just did not touch nor interfere) - when was the last time you heard the phrase
just get an expert in save in the long run
almost never.

Quite suprised by some peoples attitudes on here, a forum for self help.

Times are hard, people need to watch every penny - if people do a proper job within their abilities - whats the problem? They come asking for help, no need to jump down their throats and blame the whole trade being on it's arse because someone wants a few pointers! Garages often miss problems, ignore the obvious to save a few quid and cut corners. No-one is infalable

Give them something constructive to go on. Everyone should have a Haynes Manual for their car if they're serious about learning more about mainteance

Times are hard, people need to watch every penny - if people do a proper job within their abilities - whats the problem? They come asking for help, no need to jump down their throats and blame the whole trade being on it's arse because someone wants a few pointers! Garages often miss problems, ignore the obvious to save a few quid and cut corners. No-one is infalable

Give them something constructive to go on. Everyone should have a Haynes Manual for their car if they're serious about learning more about mainteance

I thought it was just me finding it a bit odd. I need to re-read this tomorrow, sober, to see if I'm missing something.

To a point you are right if you are wanting to do a basic service so i guess oil oil filter screenwash and top up the rad so maybe a touch of antifreeze.
Points being made are the safety bits being missed or not checked ie brakes steering suspension and probably a good few more bits and pieces

l got complaisant over the years when we were making money hand over fist .. l let my advertising slip and my signs as most people do ,, l have spent the last month sorting out my web sites and google links plus yell . com and lm now the top of most searches in my area and getting calls too . so if anyone is sitting back and doing nothing get onto this as soon as ,,

most of the garages by me havnt heard of the net at least use it .. u have to be one step ahead ,, and as most members on here u know how to do it and its easy

ur spot on m8.. if i posted "YAY I FOUND A NEW WAY TO HACK CABLE" HOW MANY POSTS WOULD IT GET FROM PPL WANTING POINTER'S .. its all the same we all want to save a few quid were we can

yea your right m8 ,, just havin a pop at the country l think and my vodka bottles empty lol .. l ran the garage forum on another site for mechanic's and theres 1000's on there from all over Europe and there all slow ,

to the op , if u think your good with your hands have a go but this not like the old days m8 , u need a 30mm snapper to change the paper oil filter and get a new sump washer , l would leave the fuel filter if your no 100% sure , u can open up a can of worms , ie air leaks , crack the housing if u over tighten

Back