Aquarium: freshwater tropical fish, Tips/Advice

water test today :)
my daily tests have been a little consistent, some dropping slightly some staying the same but all in the lower or middle of safe zone, so although this is still new to me Im happy with the way its going

I will take in a water sample to the aquatic shop today and take further advice from them :) but Im hoping I can add a few fish today maybe some guppy's and or platy's

:)
will let ya know later maybe with piccys :Hit:

Tests were fine today :) and guy said will be fine to add fish :Hit:

bought some platties and guppies as they are the hardiest to start off with, tbh I am confident all is good
I've waited, done my own and had proper water tests done and taken advice and read lots

Ill make a new thread with some piccys

thanks for all the tips and advice :thumbsup:

do you have male and females? they will breed like rabbits.

not unless they eat there own babies when they are being born,(lolol...EEEKK!!) quite a "omg what the hell!" moment..

good to see you got some fish in there John mate, I was wondering when you was going to take the plunge with them, chill out a little with the tank it's there for your pleasure not for running a science lab, how ever you'be done well and it's good to see some one taking the time with a new tank, how many times I've seen people rush into it and overstock, over-feed and do all the wrong things with a new set up.

you've bought some good gear, so let them enjoy there new surroundings and most of all enjoy your tank.

Dibbs.

They are so comical to watch sometimes :Laugh:
I have the bubbles on during the day and they are quite excitable, when I turn it off and its just water flowing through the filter its not so rapid and they like surf into the flowing water, get blown back and do it again lol its nuts

seems like there is a romance between a guppy and an platy lol this guppy follows the platy everywhere, no fighting or anything, like a shadow

fascinating :)

Bought some yamato shrimp and a couple of mollies today :Hit: and the other day we thought we spotted a baby :eek: my daughter says there are 2 babies, there is definetly 1 as Ive just seen it come out of the pebbles :excited:
arr a baby :blushing:

Happy Days :)

You seem to be enjoying your new family hobby.

Well done pal impressed :)

Mick

mate Im loving it :) I know I must be doing some things wrong as Im still new to it all, but I tend to search and read for answers before I do anything major to save any stress on the fishes

I really want to add some panda corydoras but Ive read the tank has to be established for at least 3 months :grrrr: lol thats why I got the shrimps as they can eat any algae that will appear :)

Bought some yamato shrimp and a couple of mollies today :Hit: and the other day we thought we spotted a baby :eek: my daughter says there are 2 babies, there is definetly 1 as Ive just seen it come out of the pebbles :excited:

Sign of good water quality if they are breeding m8.

ha that made me chuckle....class....glad your enjoying them mate.

you can never really rush mother nature mate.....don't rush in there...!

My daughter said there were 2, I saw 1

There is definitely 3 platy fry :Hit:
She must of been pregnant when we bought her

But ive lost a small platy that I bought last week :( I've no idea why
He started tilting to the side so we have been keeping an eye on him
Noticed him missing, found him under the bog wood :(

Maybe it wasn't well from the off ? He was much smaller that the others, although sad I did expect to loose 1or 2

Sadly lost 1 but seemed to have gained 3

It's all part of setting up a tank mate, and that's why you shouldn't rush in and fill it full of stock, let the tank "bloom" and settle and the like, don't forget it's a biological world that you've just created and it'll need time to settle down, filters and the like will need time to grow good bacteria, a few cheap fish will start the cycle like you have done, a few will perish in the making of it.

I must have missed the "bog wood" bit mate, I don't want to put you off or any thing, but if it's like the wood I had then it was like I'd dipped a teabag in the water after a while. (needless to say it got removed)

yeah Ive read the filters take 2/3 months to mature :)

I soaked the bog wood for a good couple of hours before adding to the tank on initial fill, Ive had no browning of water, Ive heard driftwood does this to water for a bit and then settles

In fact I was thinking about getting a larger piece of bog wood as the shrimps love it, dunno yet as I dont wanna clutter the tank up

Have a look here Dibbs and you will see the wood, its not a large piece, as said I had no browning from this wood so maybe you had another type ?
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/288970/#post2122304

EDIT: Ive just done a search and see even bogwood can add browning to the water. its called tannins its not harmful to the fish and can in fact bring out there colours :) tannins will fade eventually :)

I must of been lucky or had a cheap piece lol

Last edited by a moderator:
tank has been running a couple of months now and all all tests are as they should be
most important being Amonia is 0 :) nitrite ad nitrate are also spot on :)

been adding more fish over recent weeks too, I've added some
newly added
Otocinclus x3 had 6 but 3 died, these are not the easiest fish to keep at the best of times
Neon Tetra x10
Cherry Barbs x6
Glass Catfish x4

still have from fist starting out
Guppies x3
molly (dalmatian) x1 had 2 lost a pretty black 1
platties x3 adults(1 female pin tail) 7 babies that are quite big now ready to go, 6 maybe 7 new baby platties that are very tiny
yamato shrimp x3 I really like these and will be adding more at a later date

will add some pictures later in the other thread :)

Back