another wiring thread!

sorry to bump the thread.

But in the next couple of years everthing is going to get a lot easier when it comes to wiring up your home.

Check this out! It's called HDbase T or 5play HDBaseT

Here's what PC pro have to say about it HDBaseT: another HDMI killer emerges | News | PC Pro

This tech, which looks in principle great, won't actually make any difference to wiring your home as it run's over standard Cat5e/6 which is straight forward to run and has been constantly promoted here when considering AV distribution as it is so versatile.

The problem with the tech will be standardization as there are similar ideas out there, VHS v Beta springs to mind!

Cat5e/6 cabling should cover distribution needs for the forseeable future in my opinion, but it would be nice to have a fibre backbone infrastructure (Money no object of course!)

Sorry to bump this thread - but I am looking for some help with my install.

Virginmedia have installed a new phoneline into the house and put on the wall what looks like an NTE5 box? Now, I need to get additional 4 extensions (not all going to be used, just future-proofing the house as much as I can) cabled with some Cat5e cable I have.

With the extensions being 1 upstairs and 3 downstairs I wanted to do it in a star formation rather than just spurring off each extenstion as the run from downstairs to upstairs (or visa-versa) will be a long run. My question is can I use a junction box to take a feed from the NTE5 box that already exists that then feeds one cable to the downstairs extensions and one cable to the upstairs extension? How would it be physically wired? will a junction box take 1 in and have 2 out?

Here's a mspaint drawing of what I am trying to do:

extensions.JPG

I haven't started doing anything yet and this is all theory stuff at the moment. Thanks for any advice.

It will work fine the way you have done it mate.

I always remember WB5 sounds a little like WD40 lol (sounds nothing like it I know)

which means:

White Blue to 5
blue to 2
orange OR orange and white to 3

It would work just fine with the way you have it on your drawing mate.

Mick

Last edited:
Back