Angel or anyone help

damage

Inactive User
Reaction score
i changed my cd writer yesterday from a samsung to a btc one fine i thought remove the samsung from my device manager and let windows find the new device and install new driver for it. all was ok windows installed new driver and tested burner fine .. on bootup this morning not so good i get as far as the windows startup screen and windows is still rem c:\>rem-by windows setup
-c:\samsung\mscdex/dsscd000 i can get to safe mode and tryed to remove the mscdex file but that just made things worse in my device manager i have the btc and the normal cd rom only. how do i stop windows looking for the samsung cd/rw drive windows 98se o/s :Jester: :Dunce:

hi speccy there is no trace of samsung on the system or in the registry m8 i am sure that i just need the correct command line in sys.exe and auto bat.exe but its finding one to work as the driver windows is useing is c:\windows\inf\mscdrom.inf but if i try to direct to this driver is says it does not exsist but i know it does as the writer is useing it what i need is the exact commands in the sys and bat exe but i have tryed dozens but as yet none will lead to the device its a very intresting problem to solve but i am getting a little bored with it now angel i tryed them commands on that website and copyed and pasted them in but they did not work got the message that the driver could not be found for the device :Dunce: :Jester:

hi m8 the probs i have a while ago with these things if u get it recognised in dos windows will find it
here is a dos driver try this

Instructions for use:

(1) Please download the appropriate driver file you need from this page.

(2) Unzip the file you just downloaded and copy to a blank floppy disk.

(3) Run the program on that floppy disk in DOS.

Descriptions of the driver files available here:

rw263.zip BCE-62IE --DOS driver (41 Kbytes) Version 2.63

got it from [DLMURL="http://www.btceurope.nl/cdrw.html"]here[/DLMURL]

:) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damage .... silly question but is this new writer the only cd/dvd drive installed (e.g. do you have another cd/dvd drive as well as your new writer).

If you have another drive then think it will need MSC001 instead of MSC000 (can't remember exactly as long time since used win98) as both drives cannot have same number.

Or if you have 2 drives as mentioned above could try removing one from the ide ribbon.

Also, if you do have 2 drives as above is one set as master and one set as slave and are they both recognised in BIOS ?

Have you tried booting up with Win98 boot disk and running windows that way ... if it works fine then you need to copy files from floppy disk to hard drive

Sorry if questions seem silly but had to ask

hi m8 thanks for the reply i only have the writer and cd rom the cd rom is MSC001 and the writer is or was MSC000 as i wrote down the info from the bat files before i deleted the samsung data. i have tryed swopping the drives over from pre to slave and secondary slave chageing the correct jumpers in a attempt to overcome the problem. but when i removed the samsung it was the pre master and the cd rom was the secondery slave and thats the way i replaced them i have not tryed to boot from the boot disk though thats another idea i could try haha i think i will pull the fecker out soon . i enjoy the challange of getiing it to work but i can not see any possitive results for my and your effots but i will have a few more attempts before i give up lol :Chainsaw: i think i may take the chainsaw to it

I reckon you are making it not work so as to get a nice long thread and earn more credits .... lol

Sorry I can't think of anything else at moment.

Second thoughts ... I remember a long while back that some writers do not like sharing same IDE as another CD drive (I also remember that some hard drives were like that as well) unless they were the same make/brand .... don't know if that still applies or was just a prob with certain OS's ??

Damage
Add these lines as follows to Autoecex.bat and Config.sys

CONFIG.SYS :
DEVICE=C:\windows\command\CDTECH.SYS /D:MSCD001 /UDMA2 /V (Where D is the drive letter)

AUTOEXEC.BAT :
C:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /M:10

Make sure that MSCDEXE.EXE and CDTECH.SYS are in the Windows\Command folder. Both these files are in this zip file called Cdrom.zip

Usually this is not required exept in Pre Win98 Operating Systems. If you try this and 98 wont boot then you can delete these lines using c:\windows\command\edit from Dos.

thx speccy that was very close m8 with the text above added to the sys and bat files it detects both drives but windows will only load up as far as the toolbar then nothing with the text removed i go back to the exact problem as before. i noticed on startup when it detects both drives d: and e: that they were both pointing to D:MSCD001 and e: MSCD001 i think i am correct in saying that only one drive can be MSCD001 and the other MSCD000 but if i try to change the text to read MSCD000 both drives revert to MSCD000 and only will still boot to toolbar

How about trying MSCD001 and MSCD002 (instead of MSCD000 and MSCD001)

Make sure you alter both AutoExec and Config files as needed

Final thought ... try renaming the autoexec and config files (e.g. autoexecold.bat and configold.sys) and try rebooting (if I remember correctly these files are only really needed by DOS and not Win 98 (if I am wrong then someone will say so) , Win 98 I believe has its own bootup files (can't remember the name, perhaps someone else knows) and should still boot

Daft as it sounds, think its worth trying

No. They both remain MSCD001.
Just delete autoexec.bat and config.sys and ferkin reinsatall windows over the top and you should be sorted.

Speccy, how can you have 2 drives (CDRW and CD drive using 1 MSCD number .... I believe Damage has 2 drives (so a post of his states) which is why I suggested the 2 numbers in my previous post above

well i have not got it going yet but i will not pester you anymore about it i feel that it is close just a conflict with the drivers as windows hangs up. just as a small token of my thanks for your help and knoledge . i have donated 100 credits to each member that came to my aid haha thats a new use for them darn credits
regards damage :cool: ;)

Weird why you have the problem as can't see any reason for it (did you try renaming the autoexec and config files as suggested).

If I think of anything else will let you know.

As for the credits thanks (gets me a bit nearer my goal) .....

Hope it gets sorted

It remains MSCD001. The 1 has nothing to do with the amount of drives. I do believe that the MSCD001 /M:x is the correct format where the x is maximum number of drives whether it be 1, 2 or a dozen.

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i have fecking done it .........it seems that this was not a driver issue i just made the btc the second boot device A:/ the first boot device changed the btc to sec slave cd rom to pre slave h.d stayed as sec master and it all fecking works done 3 cold reboots and 3 resets and booted every time just burnt and cd on nero at 16x and perfect thx to every one who helped me with this
regards damage :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

Shucks, I was going to suggest doing something like that but I thought it so obvious that it would emabrass you lol. Anyway, pleased to hear it.

lol yep i have done a lot of head scratching over the last few days and learnt quite a bit on the way but it was just a simple thing in the end . but in the begining i was looking forward to the challange of fixing the problem by the end of the week the fecking p.c allmost went out the window lol :Clap:

Back