Laptop forgetting it has a bagtery

krazylegz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, long time no see.

I’ve recently updated the little ones laptop, my old ancient acer aspire 5750z.

It was working fine on windows 8 but it was so slow, so I put in a ssd and windows 10 which seemed fine a lot faster than it was.

However if it’s turned off or the battery dies it forgets it’s a laptop and has a battery. I have to go to device manager and scan for hardware changes on the battery section for it to find it and charge it again.

I have tried uninstalling it and re installing it and windows is up to date but it still does it. Does anyone know of a permanent fix?

cheers

lee

Last edited:
Ensure date/time is set correctly then once it's left off for a while and you turn it on, check date/time are (approx) correct still?

If not, then BIOS battery will require changing.

Also, what do you mean by it "forgets it's a laptop"? Do you mean this because it doesn't see battery?

Ensure date/time is set correctly then once it's left off for a while and you turn it on, check date/time are (approx) correct still?

Also, what do you mean by it "forgets it's a laptop"? Do you mean this because it doesn't see battery?

No it's started barking when the postman comes......... :)

Yes because it doesn’t see the battery until I scan for hardware charges.

off the top of my head the time has been correct but I’ll double check

If date/time correct then could you check for anything in BIOS for UPnP, PnP (abbreviation for Plug and Play) and ensure it's enabled.

If there is no sign of UPnP, PnP or it's already enabled and makes no difference then you'll have to flash to latest available BIOS for your make/model.

The BIOS is responsible via PnP, ACPI for allowing underlying OS to see/interact with hardware.

However, you have to be aware that sometimes there is a risk with flashing BIOS. Majority of time, so long as it's correct make/model BIOS firmware for your laptop then you wont have an issue but on rare occasions it could make laptop unbootable

Update:

Actually, if that model is correct then there was an issue as one of the BIOS updates fixes:
Fixes 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery' was disappeared in device management at B710 CPU

Remember, to ensure you are flashing the correct BIOS that matches make/model

Last edited:
Back