PC keeps constantly freezing

icemen

Member ++
Hi Peeps

I'm running windows 10 pro & my pc constantly keeps freezing recently, everything freezes but the cursor can still move. Tried everything but don't know how to fix it apart from a fresh install, any help appreciated.
I have updated all drivers in device manager. It doesn't allow me to restore to previous version as it freezes while doing the operation, it's get to about 30% then the dots keep spinning on the screen but the light on the desktop next to the power button which flashes when pc is working stops so I know it's froze. I've also tried to reset pc but same issue. I did the run memory check and that runs fine no issue. I tried the scan system (sfc scannow) from the run command but also freezes at about 34%. It doesn't also allow to check for windows update as it freezes before it can update. I don't know what else to try? Will I have to do a fresh install again?

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
16GB memory
Windows 10 pro
NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB

Any help is appreciated
Ice

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
has this started after the last update if so, Cant you roll back

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Is it possible to roll back a restore point in sate mode?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Sounds like a recent machine but it might be worth booting a Live Linux DVD to see if the problem is hardware. Of use Hiren's Boot CD to run some tests.

icemen

Member ++
Yes recent machine. Shall i try install fresh windows from my usb ? Where do i get boot cd to run some tests? What you think it could be hardware fault? Like gpu or memory?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Yes recent machine. Shall i try install fresh windows from my usb ? Where do i get boot cd to run some tests? What you think it could be hardware fault? Like gpu or memory?
5 Live Linux Desktop Distributions You Should Know

Could be anything really. HIren's (if it's still available!) had a few stress testing programs in it. Go for a reinstall if you think you are due one though. I keep promising myself I'll do a perfect install with all my favourite latest programs with Acronis images along the way. Have I completed it in the four years I've had the machine?

Mine has taken to blue screening when I launch Firefox unless I leave it for a few minutes but I think that is a software issue.

icemen

Member ++
Tried to flash it with my usb but that also froze? Can i do a fresh install in safe mode from my usb? Think i might need a new ssd ?

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Tried to flash it with my usb but that also froze? Can i do a fresh install in safe mode from my usb? Think i might need a new ssd ?
What about faulty RAM? Try removing 1 stick at a time.
You can run a Live Linux without a HDD so that could help to indicate if it was a faulty SSD. Do try removing RAM sticks first though.

icemen

Member ++
Thanks Guys i'll try remove the RAM sticks later when I'm back at home. I don't understand this live Linux, how do I download & run it? how will it check my SSD if I run it from say USB, how big does the USB have to be?

sneaker

VIP Member
VIP Member
They d/l as an iso file which you can burn to dvd, and will boot from disk.

TEST