Am I safe to buy an Elite and still be flashable

i thought this had been resolved a couple of months ago with the new liteon, sure i seen a post about this , i apologise for my false information i consider myself slapped :proud:

With the new liteons, some are ok, some are not. There are some manufactured in Aug 2009 that you cant get the key from and thus can't flash. Thats my understanding anyways.
And you only said that so you could be slapped in public didn't you ;)

Last edited:
Well looks like I can read the key, drive is an August model. Am I correct in saying that you need a new firmware in the firmware folder of JF as I have donwloaded one from a torrent (would prefer to have got one from a known good site) and loaded the source and target and the OSIG and key match. Now just got to make the decision as to wether to buy another drive to keep warranty intact or to erase and continue foward. Will try a spoof to check that they key is ok. Anyone got a BENQ for sale as a donor drive?

I bought an Elite in January... how can I check which drive I have?

I want to check if its flashable.

Thanks.

Am I correct in saying that you need a new firmware in the firmware folder of JF as I have donwloaded one from a torrent (would prefer to have got one from a known good site)

try xbins for the firmware m8

Will do.

Regarding the Elite in Jan that should be do-able altough I believe likely to need a Max interface or build you own like I have very simple circuit and works a treat. There is a guide in the stickies

I bought an Elite in January... how can I check which drive I have?

I want to check if its flashable.

Thanks.

It will be Flashable, the UnDumpable Drive has only appeared over the last few weeks. Mostly from MS repair. Will take awhile to filter in to the shops.

It will be Flashable, the UnDumpable Drive has only appeared over the last few weeks. Mostly from MS repair. Will take awhile to filter in to the shops.

I checked my drive earlier and it turned out to be a Lite-on (yellow wire)....

Do I need a special device or anything? Where can I get one?
Does anyone have a guide for flashing it? The last one I did was a MS25 or 28 or something when they first were flashable.

Thanks

I checked my drive earlier and it turned out to be a Lite-on (yellow wire)....

Do I need a special device or anything? Where can I get one?
Does anyone have a guide for flashing it? The last one I did was a MS25 or 28 or something when they first were flashable.

Thanks

I believe you need a CK3 probe or similar. And there should be a guide on this section, by Oggy.

i just opened 4 elite's in a row from game this morning three was june drives all done ok the 4th was august 2009 and key is unobtainable so there have started hitting the shops in the uk.

Looks like I was lucky then, when it cant be done want are the symptoms within JF ie what do you see on the screen. Havent done mine yet as I am probably going to spoof a drive for warranty purposes but would like to know what JF reports for a dodgy drive. PS want was the date of manufacturer for the one that failed?

Last edited:
August 2009 was the date of manufact and JF just reports in the rolling log that it is aborting with the message key extraction failed in the first half of the dump (draw in / draw out) I never got the option to draw in/out a second time to finish the dump.

And always spoof a sucsessfull drive dump to a spare drive and test before you flash the original to be sure you have the correct key ( especialy with the new lite-on drives )

Thanks so looks like I was very lucky then. Have managed to find a company on Ebay that is doing the BENQ for £11 (Uk based) so will probably spoof and put the Liteon in the cupboard just incase I need a warranty claim

if you use a different drive will it allow you to still go on xbox live?

Thanks so looks like I was very lucky then. Have managed to find a company on Ebay that is doing the BENQ for £11 (Uk based) so will probably spoof and put the Liteon in the cupboard just incase I need a warranty claim
why spoof another drive you can allways put original firmware back if needed???
or am i missing something??

the lite-on wont allow a full dump like earlyer drives do so once its flashed it can never be returned to its original state... also if you xtract the key and its incorrect ur box is dead so its always best to test on a spoofed drive first before you erase and flash the original just to keep ur box healthy and working :)

do you have a link to where u got the drive for £11?

i may as well do the same since I've got a Lite-on too.

just got an elite today as i sold my core version with liteon in it to a mate.
the new one has one of the new drives and it flashed ok.
the jasper boards seem to run a lot cooler so hopefully no probs will arise :)
mfr date was july 09 from argos

Back