Accessing printer on wireless network

G

Greendale

I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, sharing a broadband connection wirelessly. The desktop is connected to an Epson printer. Should I be able to print on the Epson from the laptop? I have tried previously by trying to share the printer, but I can't see it on the laptop.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

You will prob need to add the printer on the lappy too, it will just copy a few selected files across the network to install and bobs your uncle.

Regards

make sure you have your printer set as shared first... (control panel*classic view*/printers faxes/right mouse click/sharing.../follow the instructions in front of you)
then browse from the other machine to the one connected and add it...

there are other things to do when there are different operating systems and software firewalls in between....

also *i think* the print spooler service needs to be running on the desktop.

type services.msc @ the run prompt (if it's an XP machine)

If the two computers are running xp all you need to do is share the printer on the desctop machine then go to the laptop and click start, run, type \\desctopname
you will then see all available shares i.e. the printer. right click the printer and select connect. the drivers will be added automatically

ps \\desctopname is refaired to as the name of YOUR desctop computer do not actualy type esctopname lol

It is possible to buy an adapter for usb/ paralell printers to make them available without having to downstream print. I perfer to do things this way, also it saves having to run downstairs and turn the pc on. You can pick a print server up fairly cheaply now.

Back