A genlte push in the right direction please

cheeseslice

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted to ask some advice more than anything else.

Got the box yesterday and it had an old version of sportster pro installed, did a scan and it did bring back a lot of stations but could only view some.

Tried to flash with ifa using a cross over cable but the box wouldn't flash, was coming up with LADE for less than a sec before going to tv mode.

After a few more scans and probably 40 attempts at flashing I decided to use the ifa ftp option, seeing as I already had an image installed.

Everything connected, started updating files, then the box went into stanby and sat there for about 20 mins, so I used the remote to turn it back on and it came up with kein system.

Which leaves me here, 6 hours of trying to flash this box and I'm at a total loss. I have read every post and tutorial on flashing and kein system in the forum and the only option I think I have left is to start praying and go to maplin on the way home from work to get a null modem cable.

So bascially my question is, do you think that the null modem cable will make the difference and can anyone see anything that I am missing?

As far as the computer goes, uninstalled norton, disabled bascially every unessential service, uninstalled all antivirus/spyware, disabled all other adapters apart from ethernet.

Network card was given static ip, set to 10Mbps half duplex, auto etc. tried the lot. Forgot to mention that I have tried two different crossover cables too.

Have I totally banjacked this box or is £6 going to save my sanity??

cheeseslice said:
Hi,

I just wanted to ask some advice more than anything else.

Got the box yesterday and it had an old version of sportster pro installed, did a scan and it did bring back a lot of stations but could only view some.

Tried to flash with ifa using a cross over cable but the box wouldn't flash, was coming up with LADE for less than a sec before going to tv mode.

After a few more scans and probably 40 attempts at flashing I decided to use the ifa ftp option, seeing as I already had an image installed.

Everything connected, started updating files, then the box went into stanby and sat there for about 20 mins, so I used the remote to turn it back on and it came up with kein system.

Which leaves me here, 6 hours of trying to flash this box and I'm at a total loss. I have read every post and tutorial on flashing and kein system in the forum and the only option I think I have left is to start praying and go to maplin on the way home from work to get a null modem cable.

So bascially my question is, do you think that the null modem cable will make the difference and can anyone see anything that I am missing?

As far as the computer goes, uninstalled norton, disabled bascially every unessential service, uninstalled all antivirus/spyware, disabled all other adapters apart from ethernet.

Network card was given static ip, set to 10Mbps half duplex, auto etc. tried the lot. Forgot to mention that I have tried two different crossover cables too.

Have I totally banjacked this box or is £6 going to save my sanity??

kein system normally means its the wrong version 2x or 1x so try it again with the other version

also null modem cable will help as you can see it working on the tv screen through the dbox

also on ifa make sure u have selected the network connection to use

cheers

I have a nokia dbox which I have read can only be a 2 chip box, have tried flashing with 3 different images.

The problem is that I have not seen it say flashing on the lcd screen even once. It seems to me like the dbox either isn't connecting to my computer during boot or that it is starting it's ethernet connection too late. If that makes any sort of sense.

I have the proper network connection selected.

Thanks for the reply

cheeseslice said:
I have a nokia dbox which I have read can only be a 2 chip box, have tried flashing with 3 different images.

The problem is that I have not seen it say flashing on the lcd screen even once. It seems to me like the dbox either isn't connecting to my computer during boot or that it is starting it's ethernet connection too late. If that makes any sort of sense.

I have the proper network connection selected.

Thanks for the reply

r u 100 percent sure its a cross over cable you are using m8

as if it is then get the older version of ifa as the newer ones are tempermental

cheers

Mate I also had this problem with my nokia, have you tried instead of just switching on the box from the mains for it to re-boot, try holding down standby button and the up button together once you've powered up. This was the only way I could get my box to flash using IFA.

Hope this makes sense, let us know how you get on so it may help others out too.

Sorry I meant to say that the Standby and Up button are the ones on the front of your box behind the flap( just in case mate).

Last edited:
Def a crossover because I could ftp the box etc. it's not that I am not getting a connection, after the box boots up I can see that there is communication between the two.

I have tried another crossover cable just on the off chance that it was this causing the problem but it's the same problem again.

As far as versions of ifa, I think I currently have 5 installed!! 1.5.6, 1.8 and 2 in german and a few english versions too.

I have tried the standby and up button as well, both starting ifa and then plugging in the box and doing the reset and also having the box running then loading ifa and doing it this way.

I had read a few people only got it working if they had the box running while they started ifa.

I did read a post where the problem was solved as soon as the null modem lead was plugged in, so either my dbox likes 2 connections or it has to be something silly I am missing, I hope there is no way I could have totally wrecked this.

A couple of other options mate is to uninstall norton altogther, have seen this work for a few people, there's also a patch/reg fix if you're using winxp with sp2. Mediasensing I think it was.

Anything's worth a try mate if you can't get it going I suppose

mak11 said:
A couple of other options mate is to uninstall norton altogther, have seen this work for a few people, there's also a patch/reg fix if you're using winxp with sp2. Mediasensing I think it was.

Anything's worth a try mate if you can't get it going I suppose

Norton is gone, uninstalled it completely.

This patch, I haven't heard of it, do you know where I would find this.

I'll have a look in the downloads section now, must have been so tired last night I missed it. Problem now is I am going to be breaking my neck to get home and try it out.

Isn't work such a waste of time!!!!!!

hey mak11,

is this patch on this forum? looked in the downloads section and searched but can't seem to come up with anything.

gav12345 said:
under the Windows XP Mediasensing Registry Patch m8 here

http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58310

Thanks very much for that, I had started scouring google looking for it.

I had so little sleep last night playing about with this box that I'm beginning to wonder if I am going to make it to the end of the day.

Spent most of today on this forum reading and pretending to be doing work!!!!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

Got straight over to maplin and got myself a serial connection kit, cost 12.99, because they didnt have any normal null modem leads left.

Just plugged in the cable and ran the flash again with exactly the same settings and away it went.

Looking at an lcd screen saying flashingassistent with a stupid grin on my face as I'm typing.

*just finished and its coming up with sporster 1.1.2 but I just flashed it with the new one. Whats that all about?

cheeseslice said:
*just finished and its coming up with sporster 1.1.2 but I just flashed it with the new one. Whats that all about?

I think you mean it came up with sporster pro uboot 1.1.2
which means its got the new image on it.
Leave it to boot up and see what happens.

yes, you are right, that's exactly what it said.

so you want to hear something ridiculous. it already had the newest version on it because this image is what was on it before i flashed.

the scan has found 260 tv channels but some of them are not decoding, i think it was suggested in another post that i should change the ucodes, which i have downloaded from the downloads section.

is there an easy way to go about this, i am a bit nevrvous now about doing something to the box again.

one thing i do notice on some of the channels is that if i change the channel to it then it comes up with an error but if i got into the epg that lists everything then select the channel and press ok it works. strange.

Press
blue button
blue button again will take a sec for menu to come up
yellow button
red button to change to sporstermode 1.73 ulta (more acuurate scanning results)
it will reboot for you see if the chaanels are there now
or do a scan
bouquet=leave existing
fastscan=off
manual scan off
Hope this helps.

Fergalsworld said:
Press
blue button
blue button again will take a sec for menu to come up
yellow button
red button to change to sporstermode 1.73 ulta (more acuurate scanning results)
it will reboot for you see if the chaanels are there now
or do a scan
bouquet=leave existing
fastscan=off
manual scan off
Hope this helps.

Ok, did as you said, red button was for evcam alternative though instead of sportstermode 1.73 ultra.

I selected it anyway and it came up that it had started successfully.

I rebooted my dbox and there seems to be a lot more working now, still a few not though I can't be complaining about this!!!

If I do a scan do you think it will find a few more channels for me?

Back