360 vs pS3 ???

hd mkv ---> 360

people constantly fail to realise that the 360 plays hd mkv movies, converted to mp4 with only sound encoding and minimal hassle (Gotsent). beautiful.

Hi all, i'm new on the forum and late to the debate but i've had a 360 and now have a PS3.

I just prefer the whole feel of the PS3. The user interfsace feels more professional to me.

Its true that some developers seem to be struggling with the PS3 - Need for speed underground is a good example. Frame rate drops very noticably at times on the PS3. But I will definately stick with it against the 360.

Blu Ray is a plus for me too. I have a number of Blu Ray films which I can just throw into the PS3 and not mess about having to rip it to play it on a 360.

Just my 2 pence worth.

I like the 360 but I just prefer the PS3.

Thats actually quite a good point about the PS3, you dont need to fanny about with HD content with it. For the 360 you do, unless you buy a certain HD DVD drive that is...

Re: hd mkv ---> 360

people constantly fail to realise that the 360 plays hd mkv movies, converted to mp4 with only sound encoding and minimal hassle (Gotsent). beautiful.

true but with wmv you dont need to do anything, just like BD9 for ps3, each console has their own HD movie format and quality can differ from each 1

true but with wmv you dont need to do anything, just like BD9 for ps3, each console has their own HD movie format and quality can differ from each 1

HD MKV is far superior to WMV IMHO

HD MKV is far superior to WMV IMHO

This topic has gave me alot of laugh you do realise mkv is just a container not a format. with ps3 you can use gotsent or mkv2vob to remux to vob contyainer or m2ts container etc which only takes a few mins and still keep 5.1 audio if its dts in remuxes to dd5.1 which takes alittle longer with the xbox i believe you have to mux to mp4 which changes audio to 2.0 stereo.Also the xbox360 plays wmvhd and quality of these i have seen are still top notch

ill now give my totaly unbiased opinion on the two machines i use to own a 360 now own a ps3 do i think its better NO i dont do i think the 36 is better No i dont

Games are the same on eaach machine but can get them for free on the 360

Hd downloaded content ps3 good to remux to m2ts from mkv and retain 5.1 audio 360 good for wmvhd

Only reason i got a ps3 was cause i dont mind paying for games and wanted a blu ray player.When i had my 360 i spent more time downloading the games than i did playing them had big huge collection but only played a handful at a time or kept changing games withought giving them a chance

Seems like both consoles have plus points however still totally confused which to get probably end up flippin a coin. Then doing best of 3, 5 and so on till i eventually buy 1 then immediately wish i bought the other :-(

Both the 360 and ps3 are great. but if you want the best spend your money and make a pc.
Guess most people will say £1000+ pc vs a £130 console or more for the ps3 and so on.

If thats the case just buy a 360 and flash the drive. 50 games for what about £25?

My 360 sounds like a small plane taking off everytime i play a game or movie.
PS3 is a class piece of kit, wisper quiet.
Free games on 360, bargin hunts on PS3 and i love em both.

Tend to think Xbox Live is better polished than PS Network, both will no doubt be down Christmas

Free games on 360
Free Bluray rips on PS3
Happy

Seems like both consoles have plus points however still totally confused which to get probably end up flippin a coin. Then doing best of 3, 5 and so on till i eventually buy 1 then immediately wish i bought the other :-(

Honestly the PS3 is a major dissapointment, you WILL regret it.

Xbox360 can easily be modded and you'll get games for the price of a blank disc - 20p!

If our resident Sony fanboys were to be honest with themselves then you'd find that 90% of PS3's end up sitting below a tv doing nothing and gathering dust.

There are probably only three people with the PS3 on these boards, me being one of them ;)

So, as I represent 30% of the fanboys, I would say yes it does gather dust - its one of the strong points. But it isnt sitting the idly, it gets used almost daily.

Just google ps3 vs 360

Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Graphics
This is a sticky subject for a lot of fanboys. A very common argument in most flame wars is that the Playstation 3 simply “has better graphics”. I’m not sure where that argument came from; Sony obviously did a good job of marketing the system. However, the argument is entirely false. The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3. This is one thing that didn’t change in the past year.

Xenos simply has more power - higher fillrate, higher pixel processing power, higher vertex processing power, and better memory architecture. If you look at multiplatform games and contrast the graphics on the two consoles, XBOX 360 almost always leads. Whether they use a higher resolution or higher quality antialiasing, games often look better and/or play smoother on the 360. We looked at a handful of multiplatform games a while back, and this was always the case.

Again, we have to consider that Cell has the potential to help with graphics on the Playstation 3. As developers become more familiar with the platform, they are going to come up with new tricks to help games run smoother, and allow them to look better. However, one year after its introduction we aren’t seeing huge leaps (or even baby steps) towards this, except on a couple exclusive titles.
---
Let's look at the maximum theoretical numbers for the Xbox 360 and PS3 GPUs.

Triangle Setup
Xbox 360 - 500 Million Triangles/sec
PS3 - 250 Million Triangles/sec

Vertex Shader Processing
Xbox 360 - 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 2.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 16 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 1.5 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 12 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 8 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
PS3 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec

Filtered Texture Fetch
Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec
PS3 - 12.0 Billion Texels/sec

Vertex Texture Fetch
PS3 - 4.0 Billion Texels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing with 16 Filtered Texels Per Cycle (Pixel ALU x Clock)
Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
PS3 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing without Textures (Pixel ALU x Clock)
PS3 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Multisampled Fill Rate
Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz)
PS3 - 8.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz)

Pixel Fill Rate with 4x Multisampled Anti-Aliasing
Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz / 4)
PS3 - 2.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

Pixel Fill Rate without Anti-Aliasing
Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)
PS3 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

Frame Buffer Bandwidth
Xbox 360 - 256.0 GB/sec (dedicated for frame buffer rendering)
PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with other graphics data: textures and vertices)
PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)
PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

Texture/Vertex Memory Bandwidth
Xbox 360 - 22.4 GB/sec (shared with CPU)
Xbox 360 - 14.4 GB/sec (with 8.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)
Xbox 360 - 12.4 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)
PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with frame buffer)
PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)
PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

Shader Model
Xbox 360 - Shader Model 3.0+ / Unified Shader Architecture
PS3 - Shader Model 3.0 / Discrete Shader Architecture

Xbox 360 has the advantage in most cases.

But that was dated November 20, 2007 as anything changed?

Looking at it most sites have fanboys. It will happen all again next time with ps4 vs 720? vs pc
Most of my friends love the ps3 for 1 thing the Controller thats it.

I would say go to a shop and test of systems. Don't buy because someone said the 360 is the best or the ps3 is the best.

Just google ps3 vs 360

Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Graphics
This is a sticky subject for a lot of fanboys. A very common argument in most flame wars is that the Playstation 3 simply “has better graphics”. I’m not sure where that argument came from; Sony obviously did a good job of marketing the system. However, the argument is entirely false. The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3. This is one thing that didn’t change in the past year.

Xenos simply has more power - higher fillrate, higher pixel processing power, higher vertex processing power, and better memory architecture. If you look at multiplatform games and contrast the graphics on the two consoles, XBOX 360 almost always leads. Whether they use a higher resolution or higher quality antialiasing, games often look better and/or play smoother on the 360. We looked at a handful of multiplatform games a while back, and this was always the case.

Again, we have to consider that Cell has the potential to help with graphics on the Playstation 3. As developers become more familiar with the platform, they are going to come up with new tricks to help games run smoother, and allow them to look better. However, one year after its introduction we aren’t seeing huge leaps (or even baby steps) towards this, except on a couple exclusive titles.
---
Let's look at the maximum theoretical numbers for the Xbox 360 and PS3 GPUs.

Triangle Setup
Xbox 360 - 500 Million Triangles/sec
PS3 - 250 Million Triangles/sec

Vertex Shader Processing
Xbox 360 - 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 2.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 16 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 1.5 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 12 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
Xbox 360 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 8 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
PS3 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec

Filtered Texture Fetch
PS3 - 12.0 Billion Texels/sec

Vertex Texture Fetch
PS3 - 4.0 Billion Texels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing with 16 Filtered Texels Per Cycle (Pixel ALU x Clock)
PS3 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing without Textures (Pixel ALU x Clock)
PS3 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Multisampled Fill Rate
Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz)
PS3 - 8.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz)

Pixel Fill Rate with 4x Multisampled Anti-Aliasing
Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz / 4)
PS3 - 2.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

Pixel Fill Rate without Anti-Aliasing
Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)
PS3 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

Frame Buffer Bandwidth
Xbox 360 - 256.0 GB/sec (dedicated for frame buffer rendering)
PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with other graphics data: textures and vertices)
PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)
PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

Texture/Vertex Memory Bandwidth
Xbox 360 - 22.4 GB/sec (shared with CPU)
Xbox 360 - 14.4 GB/sec (with 8.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)
Xbox 360 - 12.4 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)
PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with frame buffer)
PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)
PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

Shader Model
Xbox 360 - Shader Model 3.0+ / Unified Shader Architecture
PS3 - Shader Model 3.0 / Discrete Shader Architecture

Xbox 360 has the advantage in most cases.

But that was dated November 20, 2007 as anything changed?

Looking at it most sites have fanboys. It will happen all again next time with ps4 vs 720? vs pc
Most of my friends love the ps3 for 1 thing the Controller thats it.

I would say go to a shop and test of systems. Don't buy because someone said the 360 is the best or the ps3 is the best.
That is absolute tosh.

I think it is very well established that the PS3 is technically much more able.

The 360 was released earlier and doesnt use the same amount of CPU's as the PS3. Developers also find it easier to create games for the 360 and do it cheaper as well.

The problem with the PS3 is that noone really knows what to do with it, and the 360 prints money.

There are probably only three people with the PS3 on these boards, me being one of them ;)

So, as I represent 30% of the fanboys, I would say yes it does gather dust - its one of the strong points. But it isnt sitting the idly, it gets used almost daily.

You're not a fanboy. :)

You also own a 360 and possibly even a Wii (yuck).

A Fanboy is someone who is 100% loyal to a particular brand and will defend it to the end regardless of facts. A fanboy would not even consider buying a competitors machine.

MFCGAVMFC is a classic example ;)

That is absolute tosh.

I think it is very well established that the PS3 is technically much more able.

Technically more able on paper I'd agree.

But apc has posted stats and you call it 'absolute tosh'?

I'd be interested to see any official test results that prove otherwise.

The bottom mine is that the PS3 is rubbish.

Sony deserve to be brought down a peg or two after their ignorance and arrogance they showed during the early PS3 development stages, they were warned by developers to change things but they ignored them and pushed ahead.

Anyway, I no longer own a PS3, so I'll be spending much less time in this section.

:)

If the PS3 were techincally inferior, then how would be able to perform at least as well as the 360?

But, if you want stats, here is a nice comparison: History of video game consoles (seventh generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that the 360 is clocked at the same operating speed, but lacks the 7 cores the PS3 has (it only has three). Also note that it requires a buffer between the memory and GPU, whereas the PS3 can directly address it.

If the PS3 were techincally inferior, then how would be able to perform at least as well as the 360?

But, if you want stats, here is a nice comparison: History of video game consoles (seventh generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note that the 360 is clocked at the same operating speed, but lacks the 7 cores the PS3 has (it only has three). Also note that it requires a buffer between the memory and GPU, whereas the PS3 can directly address it.

Yes sounds impressive doesn't it.

Shame it doesn't actually come together quite as impressively.

7 cores vs 3 yet the general concensus is that the machine with the 3 cores is out performing the 7 core machine, makes you wonder...

7 cores means **** all, if they are useless and/or not beng used.

I'd be interested to read real life stats similar to what apc posted, not a wiki page. I'd be aswell as reading the 'Tech Spec' tab on the Argos website if I wanted to read 'specs'.

Last edited:
I think the PS3 has the potential to be the best console on the block, but it's let down by developer and by Sony.

We may see improvements on PS3 only games, I think 2009 will either make or break the PS3.

I think the PS3 has the potential to be the best console on the block, but it's let down by developer and by Sony.

We may see improvements on PS3 only games, I think 2009 will either make or break the PS3.

Well, it certainly appears to have the horsepower, but time is running out - if it hasn't ran out already that is.

Back