28e & 13e on Zone 2 Raven Dish

mannachie

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was in the mood for experimenting today and as the weather was quite nice, I took down my motorised 85cm dish and replaced it with a spare zone2 raven dish I had kicking about and had decided to play about with it. I added one of those multi Lnb brackets you can get for a few quid off fleabay and with some other spare kit I had, I managed to get the thing to pick up 28e & 13e. I aligned the dish with 28e getting a 90% snr rate then fiddled around with the bracket until I got 80% snr off 13e (not bad considering I was getting 89% from it with my motorised setup). Linked in a 2 way DiSEqC switch and all sorted, quite impressed myself I did as I was sceptical if this would work of a Zone2 dish so far North in the UK. Some channels on 13e were still a bit glitchy though so I may try it another way tomorrow, aligning with 13e and using the bracket to find 28e, see if it improves the SNR rates any.
I know this is well discussed on here so thought I would share my success :proud:

nice one mate you might even get 19 east with a bit more play

nice one mate you might even get 19 east with a bit more play

Nahhhh, I'll just put my motorised setup back up :proud:
I was tinkering around for my brother who wants to add 13e to his viewing of 28e in order to get the JSC Channels. He has the same dish and I thought this may be an option to him instead of forking out for a motor :banana:

Good to share with us, thanks. If you align to hotbird you will get both with no signal probs, and yes you can add 19 too. Lovely to have instant channel change :)

Good to share with us, thanks. If you align to hotbird you will get both with no signal probs, and yes you can add 19 too. Lovely to have instant channel change :)

I have to admit, I do like the instant channel change between satellites, great when flicking between football games :proud:

Went out this morning and changed the setup around with dish now aligned with the quad on hotbird and the single lnb on the bracket picking up 28e and both signals greatly improved.

82% on 28e & 88% on hotbird - no interferance on either.

Got a few mates with these dishes connected to their TM500's viewing 28e channels only and they are already keen in me paying them a vist !! :banana:
I think it has something to so with the numbers of live Rangers & Celtic games on JSC Sports :proud:

Excellent job Mannachie - well don. Might try to do this on my cousins dish as he is keen on receiving JSC or on 19e Ma Chaine Sports do SPL games. Buy a millenium+ or Omnia card and good choice of sats for little outlay.

slightly off topic but i would hold on buying a millenium or omnia card just yet if you are buying for jsc as i have read that that in may there encryption is going to
viaccess 4 and millenium and omnia are viacess 3 and i think 9 and 10 are allready down as they have gone to via 4.
someone with better knowledge than me maybe able to confirm or deny but just a heads up to wait a month to see what happens.

These small fixed systems dont just look good they are also ideal for running numerous receivers, thats why i've always had them.
Multi output lnb's with several disecq switches and you can have receivers in different rooms, each individually receiving a couple of thousand channels :)

These small fixed systems dont just look good they are also ideal for running numerous receivers, thats why i've always had them.
Multi output lnb's with several disecq switches and you can have receivers in different rooms, each individually receiving a couple of thousand channels :)

would be interessted to hear the breakdown of your dishes,receivers etc

Nothing special i'm afraid, just gone through second divorce so left the bigger project behind once again :) New place is only a small bungalow so just has a 60cm zone 2 dish plus a 70cm raven, no motorised. Both dishes just look like sky ones so nobody notices them. I run 3 receivers plus the neighbour has a link off. The 60cm has 28 + 19 + 13 and the 70cm has 1west but its easy to swing around manually to 16 degrees or 7w or whatever really, which is why i dont bother with a motorised at the mo. So much choice anyway that I have no plan to add a motor tbh.

I've had euro sat systems far longer, but for the past ~9 years I've used fixed dish multi-lnb systems. Although, I have mostly had motorised alongside too but the main tv's have been run from a fixed one. I have successfully used a standard 80cm fixed dish for 28 + 19 + 16 + 13 degrees back in the day when 16 degrees was important. My best home dish system was in Spain where I had a 2.4m for 28 degrees, 19+16+13 on a fixed 80cm plus 1m fixed for 1west and 7west (plus 2 motorised too). And it was running 3 houses.... so many wires that I think the roof would have been waterproof without any tiles lol.

I enjoy motorised, but for sure my preference is for a fixed dish in the modern world. Small & descreet, totally silent, reliable (no moving parts to fail), instant channel switching, can run hundreds of receivers, and as much choice as you could ever want.
:)

Pinkhelmets good post.

I know I am digressing from the initial post content so apologies Mannachie in advance.

When you say you swing the dish round from 1w to say 16e on a fixed dish system does the lnb require to be skewed or does it pick it without any manual adjustment?

Also assuming your reference satellite is 1w does anyone have such a thing as dish positions for a motorised satellite? I read from DD that 28e for example would be at circa 7`o`clock ish.

I was considering getting this for my next project:

Home of Toroidal Dish

basemedias.jpg

Or bigger pic here:

http://i.imagehost.org/0924/lnbs_identiifed_t90.jpg

Found it for 150-170 in many places yet found it for 99 quid from dvb direct store !

From what ive seen via the sats in my months viewing pleasure, is that 13, 19, 28 seem too offer stuff worth watching on, alot mention thor 1West but dunno all I see is hustler/privatespice that look entertaining ;) or am I missing something from that side ? otherwise 13, 19, 28 are the main sats imo.

Last edited:
I was considering getting this for my next project:

Home of Toroidal Dish

basemedias.jpg

Or bigger pic here:

http://i.imagehost.org/0924/lnbs_identiifed_t90.jpg

Found it for 150-170 in many places yet found it for 99 quid from dvb direct store !

From what ive seen via the sats in my months viewing pleasure, is that 13, 19, 28 seem too offer stuff worth watching on, alot mention thor 1West but dunno all I see is hustler/privatespice that look entertaining ;) or am I missing something from that side ? otherwise 13, 19, 28 are the main sats imo.

now thats a intresting dish wouldnt mind getting 1 of them

When you say you swing the dish round from 1w to say 16e on a fixed dish system does the lnb require to be skewed or does it pick it without any manual adjustment?
To gain most efficiency you do need to slightly adjust your lnb skew. I am lucky to be in the strong signal area (south east) so its not as important because I get channels working fine on the 70cm. Further north or west does need extra gain or efficiency so you may need to skew the lnb to optimise, but its a tiny movement comparing 1west to 16east.

The toroidal dishes are a good solution for multi-satellite and a fixed dish. But for me they are less discreet; too big, heavy, bulky, and too expensive. Still good though, especially if you need the extra gain of signal strength.

Mannachie

Many thanks for your post, its inspired me to do the same and LNB backet is on order...although a few questions for the more experienced forumers here.

I am going to modify my system (zone2 sly dish N Bucks) to a multi LNB configuration (hopefully)
But i am unsure on how to wire it up? Heres what i am thinking

Quad Lnb - 28 deg - 1 cable to Lounge, 1 to Bedroom ( Current Config)
Single Lnb - 19 deg - Lounge
Single Lnb - 13 deg - Lounge

now i want to loop it through the FTA Comag box in the lounge via a cable already laid to my TV room and connect to my Protek. so my idea is to connect the 3 lnbs to a switch outside and connect it to the existing cable connected to Comag and loop out to the protek in the other room

possible? any known issues wiring it up this way? any better solutions

TIA

afaik mate, loopthrough wont work.
you'll need a fresh feed from the lnb for each reciever.

why not use twin lnb,s for the 19.2 and 13 east with a another switch then the protek in the tv room could have its own independent feed from 28.2/19.2/13east. although it may cost you a bit more you wouldnt need to use the loop out facility on the comag fta in the lounge. just a idea m8, there are alot of possible combanations when using a fixed dish with multiple lnb,s. regards mdt

Back