2 routers

melttc

DW Regular
Reaction score
guys

i have a superhub and a cable router the black one with two aerials , my question is instead of using my home plugs can i put my second router downstairs via one homeplug and run 4 wired devices?
if so is this hard to set up?

thanks

guys

i have a superhub and a cable router the black one with two aerials , my question is instead of using my home plugs can i put my second router downstairs via one homeplug and run 4 wired devices?
if so is this hard to set up?

thanks

Yes should be able to no problem,just connect the Ethernet cable to one of the lan ports and switch of DHCP,
this will only leave you with 3 ports though :)

if it's a wi-fi one as well, if you set the SSID and the channel encryption, and the channel as well to the same as what you have it'll also extend your wireless range...:)

I'm just reading that back, you want to not use your homeplugs and use one?

Last edited:
i have the same setup but have connected the second router via a 50 meter ethernet to superhub so have two routers chucking out wifi and of course second router acts also as a switch, but im not sure you can connect the second router by just using ONE homeplug,sureley a pair will be needed one from SH to mains and other from mains to second router? correct me if im wrong

I agree, that's what puzzled me after I read it, Just installed a wireless repeater on the other end of the lan as wanted to have the "n" capabilities and strong wi-fi all over, all working fine and I have wi-fi "backwall" in the lab and the rest of the house. :thumbsup:

But yeah back to the OP, you can't do that as the devices look for each other on the mains.

Have a look at creating a wi-fi bridge, or as you say if your running cable then any thing on the end of it will work (just disable DHCP)

but im not sure you can connect the second router by just using ONE homeplug,sureley a pair will be needed one from SH to mains and other from mains to second router? correct me if im wrong

I presumed that part of the post was just a brain fart ??

i have the same setup but have connected the second router via a 50 meter ethernet to superhub so have two routers chucking out wifi and of course second router acts also as a switch, but im not sure you can connect the second router by just using ONE homeplug,sureley a pair will be needed one from SH to mains and other from mains to second router? correct me if im wrong

yes mate i do have 3 homeplugs 1 upstairs connected to superhub and 2 downstairs but i need more connections so this is where i needed to connect the second router downstairs

just fitting a switch should do it.
Mine is like this

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I need to put my server from a switch as since I have had it running from the router the dm800se and the other linux box can't see it ?, weird as everything can see them.

Not sure if the homeplugs can carry data from a switch, I use ethernet even to the switch in my neighbours house.

We have wireless but only use it for the laptops, I can't see the point going online with a phone from home, why should I squint when I can look at a decent size screen.

yes mate i do have 3 homeplugs 1 upstairs connected to superhub and 2 downstairs but i need more connections so this is where i needed to connect the second router downstairs

yes, just plug your old router into the downstairs homeplug to give your 3 more connections. Don't forget that all the devices will share the bandwidth on that connection so if you have a high bandwidth usage device (like stream HD video) then it could impact other devices trying to communicate upstairs.

I have such a setup - all DDWRT DIR 615D routers - 2 downstairs connected via ethernet cable, just disable DHCP and Internet connection and you basically turn it into a standard switch. I also have a third one upstairs as a repeater bridge (as couldnt run a ethernet cable between the two). This way the third one is a switch as well but connects via wireless to the main router.

Don't forget though mate, if you want faster speeds across your lan and wi-fi then get a router that has Gigabit, 10/100/1000 on it, (it'll come in handy for your wan as well all depending on your package from your isp)

I had used DD-WRT on an old linksys for years, how ever after I flashed it to the new netgear that I got I didn't get the throughput as what you'd expect on the lan, So just be careful,

@ Jfish....make sure you have telnet disabled on your DD-WRT's mate ;)

I went back to the netgear firmware, I had looked at Tomato for it, but I'm quite happy with the netgear OFW and knowing that i also get full bandwidhth across the lan/wi-fi with out spikes I'm more than happy.

Last edited:
Back