Young Brits and their communication skills

Below is a list of slang kids of today uses on a daily basis, should they be included in the oxford dictionairy?

WHIP - a mode/form of transport

SICK - a positive expresion which could highlight a desirable event

BRE/BRUV - a brother of the race you belong to

MAN DEM - the male homosapian

ON ROAD - varied translations e.g. sickest bre on road. meaning sickest guy around

LOCK DOWN - an event/person/thing which is considered to be under control/in good hands

BUTTERS - ugly

BUFF - good looking

TONK - Muscular/ fat people

OHHH SHITT - expression showing concurence/happyness/sadness or any other expression desired by the user.

HIT THAT - To do something

BRAPPPP - an expression showing great excitment/ mimiking the actions of the gun community

BARE - alot

THE GAME - everyday life/sport/womenising/anything e.g. your a serious guy in the game....but what is the game....bruv i am the game

BANGING - sick/good or a descpriction an attractive girl

5-0 - the police

YOU KNOW THAT - when an observation has been made and agreed upon.

GIRL DEM - a desired women

BABYLONS/RACK - two features of the female upper body located in the chest region. in context.....check dem babs

TO FEEL IT - to want to do something/ to desire someone....in context..shit, u feel that girl dem.

GAS/RAPS - extremely fast e.g dave is fucking raps, he's a gas man.

YOU BEST RECOGNISE - you better understand what i am saying.

SERIOUS CAT - man on his chirps game; a great white in the sharking game.

CHIRPS - to chat up or flirt with a desired individual.

POTENT/AGG - a descriptive word showing a strong positive feeling/fact. in context........that is absolutely potent/agg.

GASH - a female genital area

SHANK - to knife someone

BANG HIM OUT - to knock someone out

EASY - a common greeting in everyday life in london. in context.....easyyyyy now

WOOD - the male genital sex organ

SPARK - to punch some one

TAP THAT - To have sexual relations with the opposite sex.

BRUCK UP - objects being destroyed. in context.....that shit got bruck up

SKET - undesirable member of the female gender/often diseased and a carrier of viruses

CHI CHI MAN - a homosexual

CLOCKED - to have observed and/or taken note of something

PIECE - male genitalia

SKEEN/SEEN - when an observation has been understood.

LATER - a remark made after seeing something extraordinary

DOUG or DOUGGY - to imply that something is shit or a person is a looser eg, 'that breh was so doug'

CREASE - to find something amusing/to laugh

MERKED - when someone or something is destroyed. In context.......Shit that bre got merked..OR, in sexual context...That girl got merked.

MILITANT - meaning stern, difficult or hard

BATTY - word of a descriptive nature, often used in relation to someone with homosexual tendencies. In context....batty bre...OR, can be used to describe a females' rear end.

COTCH - to relax

YARD - a place of residence

BLUD - a gangster london term for mate

RINSED - an over use of a particular activity/to be mimicked to an extreme level

HOODRAT - a commonly used phrase for a male/female who roam the streets often sporting reebock workouts, hoodies and burberry caps.

BOYD - when someone has been verabally or physically defeated, either through an insult or violent behaviour.

BIG - an emphatic statement of positive approval

ARMS - to possess the power overide any desired individual

WASTEMAN - an all around loser,a sad character, a bad egg, a failure, a burden on society

TOOLED UP - carrying weapons capable of destruction

WASTEGASH - female version of wasteman

CHAPPING - Cold.Often preceeded by "bare"or "pierre"

SHOOK - scared or nervous. e.g "Man got shook" or "Girl got shook"

SECKLE-wait a second

BAIT - when something is obvious

SAFE - either a greeting (e.g. safe blud) or meaning something or someone's positive/ good (e.g. he's bare safe)

LONG - To be complex, time consuming or arduous in nature

MERKALISATION - the process of being destroyed

Do we live in the same country ? are these ganja kids ? lol never heard 90% of this....

Below is a list of slang kids of today uses on a daily basis, should they be included in the oxford dictionairy?

WHIP - a mode/form of transport

SICK - a positive expresion which could highlight a desirable event

BRE/BRUV - a brother of the race you belong to

MAN DEM - the male homosapian

ON ROAD - varied translations e.g. sickest bre on road. meaning sickest guy around

LOCK DOWN - an event/person/thing which is considered to be under control/in good hands

BUTTERS - ugly

BUFF - good looking

TONK - Muscular/ fat people

OHHH SHITT - expression showing concurence/happyness/sadness or any other expression desired by the user.

HIT THAT - To do something

BRAPPPP - an expression showing great excitment/ mimiking the actions of the gun community

BARE - alot

THE GAME - everyday life/sport/womenising/anything e.g. your a serious guy in the game....but what is the game....bruv i am the game

BANGING - sick/good or a descpriction an attractive girl

5-0 - the police

YOU KNOW THAT - when an observation has been made and agreed upon.

GIRL DEM - a desired women

BABYLONS/RACK - two features of the female upper body located in the chest region. in context.....check dem babs

TO FEEL IT - to want to do something/ to desire someone....in context..shit, u feel that girl dem.

GAS/RAPS - extremely fast e.g dave is fucking raps, he's a gas man.

YOU BEST RECOGNISE - you better understand what i am saying.

SERIOUS CAT - man on his chirps game; a great white in the sharking game.

CHIRPS - to chat up or flirt with a desired individual.

POTENT/AGG - a descriptive word showing a strong positive feeling/fact. in context........that is absolutely potent/agg.

GASH - a female genital area

SHANK - to knife someone

BANG HIM OUT - to knock someone out

EASY - a common greeting in everyday life in london. in context.....easyyyyy now

WOOD - the male genital sex organ

SPARK - to punch some one

TAP THAT - To have sexual relations with the opposite sex.

BRUCK UP - objects being destroyed. in context.....that shit got bruck up

SKET - undesirable member of the female gender/often diseased and a carrier of viruses

CHI CHI MAN - a homosexual

CLOCKED - to have observed and/or taken note of something

PIECE - male genitalia

SKEEN/SEEN - when an observation has been understood.

LATER - a remark made after seeing something extraordinary

DOUG or DOUGGY - to imply that something is shit or a person is a looser eg, 'that breh was so doug'

CREASE - to find something amusing/to laugh

MERKED - when someone or something is destroyed. In context.......Shit that bre got merked..OR, in sexual context...That girl got merked.

MILITANT - meaning stern, difficult or hard

BATTY - word of a descriptive nature, often used in relation to someone with homosexual tendencies. In context....batty bre...OR, can be used to describe a females' rear end.

COTCH - to relax

YARD - a place of residence

BLUD - a gangster london term for mate

RINSED - an over use of a particular activity/to be mimicked to an extreme level

HOODRAT - a commonly used phrase for a male/female who roam the streets often sporting reebock workouts, hoodies and burberry caps.

BOYD - when someone has been verabally or physically defeated, either through an insult or violent behaviour.

BIG - an emphatic statement of positive approval

ARMS - to possess the power overide any desired individual

WASTEMAN - an all around loser,a sad character, a bad egg, a failure, a burden on society

TOOLED UP - carrying weapons capable of destruction

WASTEGASH - female version of wasteman

CHAPPING - Cold.Often preceeded by "bare"or "pierre"

SHOOK - scared or nervous. e.g "Man got shook" or "Girl got shook"

SECKLE-wait a second

BAIT - when something is obvious

SAFE - either a greeting (e.g. safe blud) or meaning something or someone's positive/ good (e.g. he's bare safe)

LONG - To be complex, time consuming or arduous in nature

MERKALISATION - the process of being destroyed

living where I do you tend to pick up stuff too - heres what I have heard:-

chall - to steal (i well challed dat mush)
mush - affectionate greeting
ratley - girlfriend

also it is general to begin all sentances with either "I / he / she turned around and said...." "at the end of the day" or "basically"

Where do you boys live ?.... just east of Jibberish ? lol honestly have not heard most of this ....

Quality post tlogic. You certainly educated me in the finer art of rhythm, rhyme and colloquialism's. When I go out I'm going to buss my new language skills some rave this Sat night. (I'll be the nervous old guy standing in the corner trying to fit in)

Jokes aside I'm keeping that list, just in case some muggers try it on, I may be able to talk my way out of being jacked.

The frightening thing is I actually understood most of the words on that list :asta:

Wow this thread as been an eye opener, is this what equal opportunities in Britain is all about ?

I feel a lot thats been said as gone under the radar, and no one as questioned or asked for further explanation of those posters. However posts on here smacks of intolerance on many levels.

Young people do have a way of speaking, but people learn from others if they are given the chance. Also if they see in someone a reason to change habits and behavior or are given the motivation they will change.

Wow this thread as been an eye opener, is this what equal opportunities in Britain is all about ?

So does equal opportunities in your opinion mean that mentally deficient, or lazy individuals who can't be ar$ed learning the language of the country be on an even footing at securing a decent position as those who have made the effort of bettering themselves?

Britain needs its road sweepers & burger flippers as well.
There's a place for everyone, it's a perfect balance :)

So does equal opportunities in your opinion mean that mentally deficient, or lazy individuals who can't be ar$ed learning the language of the country be on an even footing at securing a decent position as those who have made the effort of bettering themselves?

Good call ;)

I once had a 'teeny' say to me wow man that tattoo is sick! I felt like flooring the fooker till my lil sister said that means it's 'great' lol

Think they need to sort there communication sh!t out myself lol

:)

And now we have elitist views ...

So how someone expresses them self is a measure of mental ability and that they are also lazy individuals. And you get this by sitting down in a 15 minute interview.

I've met a lot of mentally deficient people who speak great English and use it to blag their way through not only work but life itself.

And now we have elitist views ...

So how someone expresses them self is a measure of mental ability and that they are also lazy individuals. And you get this by sitting down in a 15 minute interview.

I've met a lot of mentally deficient people who speak great English and use it to blag their way through not only work but life itself.

It might not be a measure of mental ability, but it's a surefire indicator of intellectual laziness. I wouldn't need a fifteen minute interview to suss this out. Five minutes would be quite enough.

Today I have spent the best part 5 or six hours interviewing people for sales jobs in our company. We're trying to save a little money, so are hiring graduates who have just left university.

To say that the level of written and spoken English was bad would be a huge understatement. Out of the 20 odd candidates most were British with 2 candidates being from New Zealand and Canada. These two spoke the best English with readable writing to boot.

I really can't believe how poor the grammar was today. They can't spell, don't know what punctuation is and cant seem to do simple math in their head. We have the exact same sales positions in other countries such as India and South Africa (which many would deem to be third world) and the level of English abroad is vastly superior to what we practice here.

This isn't the first time I have come across such unworthy applicants, the general level of candidacy is very poor when you pitch a UK candidate vs someone from other parts of the world. I think this is real bad news in the long run as I feel our children are getting stupider by the day.

TBH I had a bit of a laugh with some of the candidates, geez some of them sounded like a cross between a dyslexic rapper and Paris Hilton. One guy in particular really made me laugh, he was white, from a reasonable area and a decent schooling background yet he spoke like he was from Jamaica :asta:

wat u on bout, don u no txt tlk in ur comp or sumthin.

think that how that line was surposed to go, I really dont know being 36 lol, but he is right at least I have a reaons for bad spelling and grammer, IM dyslexic or is it dysfunctional lol

think that how that line was surposed to go, I really dont know being 36 lol, but he is right at least I have a reaons for bad spelling and grammer, IM dyslexic or is it dysfunctional lol

I'm not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not, but i think it's worth a reply.

One of my sons is dyslexic(statemented). He has never used his dyslexia as an excuse and has never asked for it to be taken into an account in examinations. He now has a University degree because luckily he was born into the computer age with access to that wonderful tool, the 'Word' spelling and grammer checker.

I think your burger needs flipping m8.

The general British attitude towards children/teenagers is that they should be "seen and not heard" and so youngsters don't often get the opportunity build confidence in certain social situations. As a result of this, youngsters revert to talking in the manner they are used to and comfortable with which is that of their peers.
Like any other, communication is a skill that improves over time and that includes the language used.

Please remember that communication is a 2-way activity, and little in this topic has demonstrated an ability to listen to those with differing opinions, surely this is just 'the pot calling the kettle black'.

It might not be a measure of mental ability, but it's a surefire indicator of intellectual laziness. I wouldn't need a fifteen minute interview to suss this out. Five minutes would be quite enough.

Intellectual laziness ! so someone just coming to the country who struggles to grasp the English language is intellectually lazy, even although they may possess two or three other languages. Whilst most Brits only speak the one.

I've seen foreigners looked down upon in the British work force just because they speak good English but can't rid themselves of the accent.

Like the last poster said its about communication, and to me its about investing in your young, looking past the rough exterior at time and seeing the substance and getting the best out of that person.

This post is still dodgy to me :FRIGHT:

I've seen foreigners looked down upon in the British work force just because they speak good English but can't rid themselves of the accent.

The original poster has already acknowledged that the some foreigners have a greater command of the English language than the candidates he has seen eminating from these shores.

To say that the level of written and spoken English was bad would be a huge understatement. Out of the 20 odd candidates most were British with 2 candidates being from New Zealand and Canada. These two spoke the best English with readable writing to boot.

I really can't believe how poor the grammar was today. They can't spell, don't know what punctuation is and cant seem to do simple math in their head. We have the exact same sales positions in other countries such as India and South Africa (which many would deem to be third world) and the level of English abroad is vastly superior to what we practice here.

The problem is with people putting themselves forward for positions who think that "Teen Speek" will get them the position.

Or am I missing something here?

TBH I had a bit of a laugh with some of the candidates, geez some of them sounded like a cross between a dyslexic rapper and Paris Hilton. One guy in particular really made me laugh, he was white, from a reasonable area and a decent schooling background yet he spoke like he was from Jamaica

I don't think I've missed anything here.

Back