Linux xbmc on rasp pi

Mines on 24x7 no noise and uses very little power. Perfect for movies using xbmc put I prefer omxplayer as its quicker to load and play.

Mines on 24x7 no noise and uses very little power. Perfect for movies using xbmc put I prefer omxplayer as its quicker to load and play.

I have 2, 1 upstairs, 1 down. Use bugger all power, make no noise and both play all the content I have from NAS within about 3 seconds of me demanding it.

Do people need videos to play quicker than that? or am I just too relaxed to worry about that?

I'm still have two issues with xbmc.

1) Quite a few tv episodes in .mkv format play audio only, no video. I have both codecs enabled. Omxplayer plays all the files fine
2) When I exit from xbmc (I'm using wheezy OS), it just goes to a black screen. Unable to use mouse, keyboard but I can SSH and reboot. Found some other threads that talk about changing hdmi_group and hdmi_mode in the /boot/config.txt

Can someone post their values for hdmi_group and hdmi_mode

Thanks

I have the issue of when i exit xbmc it black screens but if you start xbmc with connectbot by logging on and typing xbmc then start xbmcremote or Yatse on my android phone or tablet when i finish the xbmc session i just close the connectbot server with exit and the xbmc ends leaving the raspi on and ready to use as for the tv episodes I never had any problems but mkv can be any format of video codec as it is only a container for video files
I have not changed the hdmi_group or hdmi_mode but I cannot look to see what they are because my laptop card reader no longer recognises my 16GB sdhc card which is strange because I wrote the image to the card and backed it up on the same laptop

Thanks. I will give that a try rather than messing up my config file :)

I just ran a test xbmc from connectbot then exited from xbmc with power switch>> exit menu in xbmc and it dropped me back to raspbian wheezy but with a console error on the android device connectbot console " No talloc stackframe around memory leak"

I tried with connectbot. Starts xbmc ok, play movie with yatse, exit, disconnect from connectbot and still black screen. If I use the mouse or keyboard connected to pi, there is no response.

I just ran a test xbmc from connectbot then exited from xbmc with power switch>> exit menu in xbmc and it dropped me back to raspbian wheezy but with a console error on the android device connectbot console " No talloc stackframe around memory leak"

Try running

xbmc --standalone

Then in yatse shut xbmc down as normal and then it should not display any errors. Just tried with ssh and it close down better. Still goes back to a black screen for me.

These two commands seem to work but it some times crashes xbmc and will not start again until you reboot Pi.
xbmc --start
xbmc --stop

The way i did it was shut down xbmc using the xbmc remote and it shut down to the rpi home screen i then closed connectbot
The talloc problem seems to be samba related as i have a samba share to my duo in the video folder and googling the error leads to samba. I will try later when i get access to my rpi by disconnecting the duo share from xbmc

Sent from my Orange Monte Carlo using Tapatalk

Found one solution to my black screen issue, from ssh you can ran startx and it fixes the issue for me.

12.2 is available for various formats including Pi. I just updated mine to 12.2 and no issues so far.

Fixed infinite loop on addon dependencies, resolves crashing problem that arrose immediately post 12.1 launch
Numerous UPnP fixes
Memory leak fixed when XBMC is minimized
Various Raspberry Pi playback fixes and software codec support
Fixed OSX audio mixing
Fixed some audio-related crashes in Linux builds
AirPlay fixes
Bluray folder resume-bookmarks now work
Ability to scan for new content on file folders has been reimplemented
Language updates from Transifex

that could have been your problem as I have had 2.12.2 on mine for about 10 days I do regular sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade to keep everything upto date

edit i still get a black screen sometimes when exiting xbmc but at least 4OD now works

Last edited:
Back