XBMC Live, which remotes?

Bally did you get it working???

If so let us have a copy of your .xml lol I have drank a little and hmm its not much fun trying to set it up lol

I cheated and used Intelliremote :) works a charm now just a shame I have to have it running in back ground but ahh well.

Seem to have sorted temps out too and its a lot quieter than a 360 etc so for the moment happy :)

Sold my little Revo so didnt bother with sorting the remote issue.

so what are you going to buy as a media player next bally looking forward to your experiments

edogg

For now I am pretty happy with my current setup which is XP with HDMI to my 32" in my room and PS3 downstairs using PS3 Media Server to 50" Plasma... Looking to save some money so probz wont buy anything for a few months... But will be looking into Xtreamers for later

For now I am pretty happy with my current setup which is XP with HDMI to my 32" in my room and PS3 downstairs using PS3 Media Server to 50" Plasma... Looking to save some money so probz wont buy anything for a few months... But will be looking into Xtreamers for later

so no xbmc media streamer there then ! thats a pity i really enjoyed reading about xbmc being so good and the problems getting remotes to work with a computer running a linux program to play media and being able to tune it to how you liked it

edogg

Any particular reason Bally? What was your overall thoughts of the revo?

Just needed the cash, overall it was great I was mainly using it with my keysonic keyboard and touchpad

keysonic-400.jpg

Played 1080p straight from the network with no problems where as my PS3 struggles so overall video playback was great no complaints about the revo either, super silent, nice and slim and worked perfectly.

XBMC was flawless too.

so no xbmc media streamer there then ! thats a pity i really enjoyed reading about xbmc being so good and the problems getting remotes to work with a computer running a linux program to play media and being able to tune it to how you liked it

edogg

For now no xbmc, but will definitely come back to it later. So take your sarcastic comments and stick them where the sun doesnt shine.

FYI the official MCE remote works straight out of the box, the difference between XBMC and other media players is that you have the flexibility to use pretty much any usb remote as long as you program it.

I have owned the PCH and NMT both were super buggy, slow and struggled to playback certain movies correctly.

my media player works straight out of the box and i didn't have to program anything just watch all the xvid ,divx,h264,x264 and blueray rips, films and tv programs and audio plays perfectly through my 5:1 surround system and as you say you might look at a xtreamer with etrayz i look forward to your updates on any media player you get

edogg

edogg this topic is about XBMC Live not other media players, I dont really care if yours worked out the box or in the box for that matter.

XBMC is software your talking about hardware. Also yes I might look at xtreamer with etrayz but purely because thats what I do. I buy stuff I dont need, test it and sell it on.

Would you go back to it on the revo? Another Atom+ION based system, perhaps even a self built ITX based HTPC?

In terms of remotes; Logitech have new 'budget' Harmony devices: 600 and 650. Still IR though.

Not looked into it for a while, but glovePIE, BT dongle and a Wii controller is another option to concider.

Yes I would, it runs perfectly fine on the revo and I dont know many others capable of playing full 1080p hd with DTS audio straight from a non gigabit network. I had mine running from 200mbps belkin homeplugs and it was 10x better than PS3 Media Server... Also GUI is 100x better and fanart looks great!

The only reason I sold it was because I couldnt afford to keep it, otherwise it would of stayed and I would of just got a MCE remote which works staight out of the box without any modification.

Just needed the cash, overall it was great I was mainly using it with my keysonic keyboard and touchpad

keysonic-400.jpg

Played 1080p straight from the network with no problems where as my PS3 struggles so overall video playback was great no complaints about the revo either, super silent, nice and slim and worked perfectly.

XBMC was flawless too.

Cheers m8, sorry you needed the cash, hope you made a little profit for your efforts.

Regarding the remote I've been looking for the cheapest option possible to get just an IR reciever to use with a universal remote, your first suggestion of old xbox reciever n usb conversion cable is reasonable, building a reciever is also worth looking @ if you have the eyes n steady hand for soldering, but I like the look of this: DealExtreme: $10.83 Super Compact Media Center IR Remote Controller with USB Receiver as a possible solution, it seems to use standard keyboard commands n cheap enough.

As stated before though a wifi remote solution would be my choice and I'm sure it could be done well with an iPod Touch or iPhone but I don't have one to play with.

Back