XBMC Live, which remotes?

yes you can use the old remote but will have to be converted to usb... check out there forums I am 90% pos I saw it in the how to section :)

I just got a cyberlink one for £7 just need the IR tbh as I have a logitech remote.

This will Prob work fine with WinXP as drivers are available, but XBMC Live is Ubuntu n will need further investigation for drivers, I'd imagine Lirc support of the IR reciever will be key.

Edit looks like it's been done so you should be fine.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=491395&postcount=2

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Using_a_remote_control_with_XBMC
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Remote_Control_Reviews

Once you have the IR Reciever recognised you should be able to use any universal remote, my kameleon works fine with it.

IR is just the worst method of control for modern AV equipment IMHO.

The PS3 Bluetooth remote has been used!
PS3 BD Remote + LIRC + XBMC (Linux) = SUCCESS - XBMC Community Forum

The simplest method for basic control would be IPhone, ITouch or PDA and use the XMBC Web Gui.

The Idea Solution for me would be the same Hardware with remote desktop to XBMC so you had touch screen control as if you were using your existing mouse n keyboard seeing a mirror image on your PDA.

Last edited:
i just plugged a x10 ir receiver and remote in from a previous version of cyberlink home cinema and xbmc recognised it
but that is why i preferred the media player solution it comes with everything setup

edogg

Has anyone using a PS3 remote for XBMC Live?

I have a cyberlink ir and remote but would prefer bluetooth over ir.

PS3 remote is working but requires a shitload of setup.

Check the xbmc forums. Someone has posted a setup script if I remember correctly.

Going to try get my Cyberlink remote working first then will give the PS3 remote a try later.

I just plugged my cyberlink x10 remote in and it worked but then it was a win7 laptop running the xbmc live cd

edogg

Havent got lirc installed and dont know how to install if im honest

I just plugged my cyberlink x10 remote in and it worked but then it was a win7 laptop running the xbmc live cd

Win7 laptop wouldn't make a difference if your running the live CD its Ubuntu Linux.

This kind of issue is frustrating and why I understand people wanting to purchase a media player that just works outta the box. It's the IR reciever driver being built in to the linux OS which is important in this case.

What was the exact model of the remote and did all the buttons work? It could just be different hardware!

Havent got lirc installed and dont know how to install if im honest

Have u just plugged the IR reciever in n tried it? I thought it shold give u some buttons functioning but not all.

How are u about linux? You can just drop into a terminal window from XBMC and run commands!

The last link I posted runs through the whole procedure for cyberlink remote n starts:

Step One - Install Lirc:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

You just need to type that command into a terminal window

I'm willing to help where I can with the Ubuntu linux basics, but I don't have a cyberlink remote to test an identical setup and the XBMC forum has much more knowledge on the subject than I can offer.

This is the remote I have [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyberlink-Media-Centre-Remote-Control/dp/B000ZRG7LY]Cyberlink Media Centre Remote Control - With Mini USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

Play stop etc works but back button does not so if I go into movies for example there is no way of me getting back to the home screen.

How would you "just drop into a terminal window from XBMC and run commands!"

I already have a keymap for my remote but its for use with lirc I thought as the remote is already working I should just be able to edit the original keymap.xml?

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

The back button mine just worked out the box m8,

I need to play some more when i get chance....

Sure you will find it on xbmc forum.

Ctrl+Alt+F2 will bring up console, so will give downloading lirc a go.

sorry i just tried the back button and no it dont work [Esc] button goes back so the key map needs the back button to give the same code as [Esc] in linux.
but that is why i bought a media player every thing does what it is supposed to without needing to understand linux

edogg

Thanks for your reply.

However seriously though can you stop with your reasons to why media players are better. Just open your own thread and post a million reason why they are better.

If im honest I dont want a media player that does what it supposed to do. I love the fact you can tweak and edit to your liking. I have used media players in the past and like I said I didnt like them. Havent tried to extremers but oh well maybe one day...

Back