wow now this is a camcorder!

sargieboy are you upgrading from a minidv digicam to a HD one?

I own a 5 year old minidv digicam and I replaced it with a HD one a few weeks back but I sent it back as it barely offered a difference in picture quality. Will you be editing your video content on your PC and how do you aim to store all of you videos?

I really am itching to pull the trigger on one

i a sony handycam atm m8 which records straight to dvd i wont be investing in one of these till the price at leat halfs unfortunatly aint got that kinda money to spend. my post was mainly to see what people thought. thanks for your input though munkey :)

Up to 38 hour High Definition recording on 100GB internal HDD

Like the sound of that! I got a Mini DV cam at the mo which is great and hasnt let me down once over about 5 years. Iv made my family alot of films on dvd from Birthday Parties etc and making HD DVD would be great! But remember you will need a PC upgrade to go with the camera lol. 1 Hour of uncompressed video from a mini dv camera is about 13gb!

Also you will want atleast 2gb min. ram just to do the basics slowly but will be well worth it.

Like the sound of that! I got a Mini DV cam at the mo which is great and hasnt let me down once over about 5 years. Iv made my family alot of films on dvd from Birthday Parties etc and making HD DVD would be great! But remember you will need a PC upgrade to go with the camera lol. 1 Hour of uncompressed video from a mini dv camera is about 13gb!

Also you will want atleast 2gb min. ram just to do the basics slowly but will be well worth it.

Not trying to be anal or anything, but i think you will find 1 hour of uncompressed video will be in excess of 100GB......i used adobe premiere pro once to dump a film to my pc from my dv cam, i wanted the highest quality available so i opted for a RAW AVI file....the film was 35 mins long and toook up over 58GB!!!! such high quality is overkill though...even to get it at DVD quality onto disc it would need compression to mpeg-2 and DVD quality is excellent....i think you need a VERY keen eye and have to be a bit of a videophile to notice a great difference.

Because of the quality of the footage captured on our old minidv digicams the best we can really do is save the content as mpeg2 video for easy DVD burning. The mpeg2 resolution is very close to the resolution that my cam (Sony PC 120E) records at (530 horizontal lines I think) I bought a 1080i cam thinking it would record at 720 at worse but you get closer to 600 horizontal lines. There is no point in saving higher than DVD quality due the source capture

IMO it is not worth getting a low end HD camcorder yet as the capture is barely better than a SD one regardless of what the marketing brochure says.

For those that are struggling with CPU for capture I'd recommend any Osprey card for capturing. They are professional quality and can be picked up for as little as £10 on ebay for the 100 model. Hardware encoding is better than software encoding especially at this price point.

So the wait for an affordable high performance HD camcorder goes on..

Back