Would you even know what to do with it?

Would you even know what to do with it?

• Total voters

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
AS the title says.

More and more people are jumping on the 'release the source code' wagon, but, if you had it, would you even know where to start?

Ive been playing with a TM/iTgate CVS for about 18 months, it took me a VERY long time to even be able to find my way round, and i still need help with the majority of things i want to do, and if im lucky, 1 in 5 images i create will work, but only with minor changes, and then probably more buggy than the one i created before it.

When (if) the source gets released to the public, and you download it, to sort out the problems yourself, who will you turn to for help / guidance? TM wont give it, as its not officially supported by them. I wont give any, as itd be the blind leading the blind. The few members i know of who really know what to do with it wont help, as they wont want to be swamped with requests from 'noobs' like myself.

I know we have a few VERY clever members who know their way round image creating inside out, but the other 99% of us would be as good with it as we are at describing the quantam physics behind the possible chaos theory during the creation of a time and space warping black hole, right?

So, taking into account that when its released, its something that you have asked for, what roughly zero support, and you spend a LONG time downloading it (i think it took about 9 hours to fully download the tm500/600 CVS), Would you even know what to do with it?

I'm one that's asked for it so feel I should answer

I too wouldn't know what to do with it like yourself
But I know people that do know what to do and would be happy to have a play with it

But what worries me is these people could buy other boxes ?

One thing that I'd point out here is that its pointless releasing the souce unless Tm have the backing of groups such PLi, DE etc..

One thing that has always baffled me though. How come EDG Nemesis made an image for the TM9100 and not the TM500 or TM600? Was the source actually released for the TM9100? Sorry if this is going off topic.

It's true most people will not have a clue about what to do with the CVS, I certainly wouldnt..I think the hope is that people with knowledge will add features, fix bugs and release custom images for the benefit of everyone else...which if it happens can only be good thing...

I also agree this is nowhere as good as having a proper development team working on images like Nabilio, EDG, Pli etc.. But it's still good..at least it will mean it's open source as advertised..

EDG Nemesis image for the TM9100 probably meant the CVS and proprietary drivers etc..were given to the EDG Nemesis team by TM and they were paid to develop the image, the source probbaly didnt go public..

I've had to vote no because if voting yes I wouldn't be able to get anything out within a week!

I've no experience in these images but I am a developer and have professionally programmed several languages over the years and can adapt to most things given time. As long as there were basic instruction on the web somewhere on how to compile an E2 image and TM have commented their code properly hilighting affected areas and release enough access to core sources then I'd deffo have a pop. I wouldn't tell or commit to anyone though as I too have learnt in the past regarding telling the devil too much of your mind and been constantly harrased by waiting public. There is nothing worse than pressure or expectations of that sort to throw a spanner in the works

i wont know what to do with it, but if it isnt released then we theres a chance we will never see any updates released with the things that we want sorting out being sorted.

at least if it is released we have a CHANCE if you know what i mean ;)

there are alot of image makers out ther gemini, dream elite, openpli oozoon etc etc , why couldn't a few members whon have a little knowledge create a branded image not give massive support but just bug fixing on each image realease etc , once a stable original image from TM or UR is here could we not work on that maybe if enough member contribute a few decent cutom images may come from it . i myself use openpli to customise my builds .

but as digidude says i'm a noob and would need help and if noone is willing to put in a few hours its dead in the water really :(

also once the first build is done and downloaded the next ones can take less than 10 mins depending on if you have to compile alot of new pluings

Last edited:
A

Hi, I voted yes but with a little remark towards the 1 week deadline :)
As we do not know the exact details of the system and the means of compiling, it would be nice to have means of documentation with it ?

@Digi, if you have already problems compiling the whole thingy I presume it is not because you are stupid but because it is complex right ?

The only reason why I would like to have source is to embed certain things into the kernel compile like CIFS for the TM500. The correct Libs for certain EPG packages, some nice new plugins could surface , and so on ....

Coz now, it is like well a very closed 'system'. It would be nice if we could use compiled stuff / plugins from other 'alike clones'. Or just try to compile existing code into the TM's.

But i think the problem is as well the hardware of the TM Linux receiver ?

I cannot believe that it would take 9 hours to download ???
Sure it must be possible to provide everything we need to compile as compared towards a normal 1cd Linux distribution ?
Can you imagine what could happen with tm500/600/800/ ...
A satellite open source receiver with sources available !

an example of good documentation for a enigma2box you can find here :
QBoxHD – Trac

or Pli who released their enigma1 and enigma2 sources some time ago
OpenPLi, PLi's Public Repository

anyway it is up2 Tm to decide if they would consider this ?

unfair poll it would be more than a week, it took 2 1/2 weeks for the dw dm600pvr image (16 hours for the 1st compile after that about 20 minutes for each recompile) and that was just a proof of concept to show it could be done.

I am 99.9% sure I will have a coolstream box by then, real open source and neutrino (I play with enigma only if i have to).

You won't get anyone say within a week as it's unrealistic and discredits the poll.

No, I wouldn't have a clue as i have never compiled an image, even though i have programed other things. However the real expectation is that once the source of TM's 500/600/800 is released (if ever) it would allow other development teams to work on it. So long term it might be better for TM to "arrange" for other teams to create images other than UR, without the need to release the source. There's still a few bugs in the 500/600 from UR.
To me, a Linux box is only as good as the development teams that support it.

To me, a Linux box is only as good as the development teams that support it.
Popcorn, this is fact!
In reality Technomate dont even know what to do with their source code....
Buying a 'linux' receiver that has no teams supporting it has same value, or less, as the many cheaper closed source alternatives out there. As I see it they have 2 options-
1) release source code in hope development teams support their hardware
2) reduce price to compete with the closed firmware receiver options available

Number 1 or 2 will happen soon for sure. I guess existing buyers should hope for number 1 option to get possible best outcome.

More and more people are jumping on the 'release the source code' wagon, but, if you had it, would you even know where to start?

You're missing the point mate.

I want source code released so that real Dev teams can work on it and start releasing their own builds and plugins etc.

If it doesn't happen, then I don't care how good the firmware turns out to be, I'll still be selling the TM800 and getting a real open source box.

I would have to agree with ellie1998 here,it would certainly take more then a week to compile a useful image,

tbh honest the main reason I would like the source code released is so we can just add the correct libs for epg etc on the tm600,once I had that sorted then I would play around with it and hopefully add something extra,

There is probably more devs who would also start working on images but who wont necessarily answer this poll.

i'd be very interested in getting source, similar to wiz569 all i really would like to be able to do is add libs etc for other plugins etc, and change afew things where posssible like network recording/zapstream/VPN etc.

quite likely i'd get a couple of boxes for some mates who do some embedded linux coding already so they can help/show me what to do :banana:

Edit: TM600... :p

Last edited:
If members in the know are willing to provide some guidance and a starting point I don't mind fiddling about with the code and develop my knowledge a long the way to the extent that I can eventually produce an image.

For the purpose of the poll I voted no as I wouldn't know where to start.

i'd be very interested in getting source, similar to wiz569 all i really would like to be able to do is add libs etc for other plugins etc, and change afew things where posssible like network recording/zapstream/VPN etc.

quite likely i'd get a couple of boxes for some mates who do some embedded linux coding already so they can help/show me what to do :banana:

And for my 2p, I'd happily put your creations on my stb, even just to see what happens.

And for greater good of course.

csb

And for my 2p, I'd happily put your creations on my stb, even just to see what happens.

And for greater good of course.

csb

i would like to build my own image but,never been a proper linux gay,so many tutorials would be nice to have ;but most important thing is understand the way to compile an image ,cause there are many plugins out there but needs to be adapted to TM.Pli team makes many things to be adapted but many of them just stay in menu before it gives me green screen!as soon as i change anything in lib or other folders i have to use usb stick!

regards

why ye all goin on about developing an image in a week, ???

the poll said a month not a week..... read it again guys....

Back