would like a xmbc box

notanotherone

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i have xmbc on my compuetr but like a wee box for the living room any suggestions which one i should buy ?

i have xmbc on my compuetr but like a wee box for the living room any suggestions which one i should buy ?

All depends how much you want to spend M8, if you on a budget, Raspberry Pi, if you willing to spend a bit an Intel Nuc

I will warn you, the menus do lag a bit on the Pi even with a 10% overclock.

You might want to look at some of the android sticks now that XBMC has been ported to Android. Amlogic based ones are supposed to be OK with hardware acceleration support. Maybe something like this,

Android Midnight XBMC Smart TV Streaming Box: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Alternative is Acer Revo RL80 which can be picked up for a around £120. Full blown PC in a tiny case. You'll need to add an O/S, I run Windows 7. Plus this keyboard/mouse,

eSynic® 2.4G Mini Wireless Keyboard Touchpad Mouse Combo - Multi-media Portable Handheld - for PC Andriod TV Box Media Mini TV PC Stick HTPC Laptop Xbox 360 PS3--British Keyboard: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
Damm, looks like ebuyer who I bought the revo RL80 from, is now out of stock.

@oneman do you use a usb3 stick has storage and amber skin ? the pi is very quick with this set up, first load up is a tad slow but once its been done the first time its nearly instant after that

Last edited by a moderator:
@oneman do you use a usb3 stick has storage and amber skin ? the pi is very quick with this set up, first load up is a tad slow but once its been done the first time its nearly instant after that

Booting off SD card, media on network. Using raspbmc (more features but slower) and openelec (faster but fewer features). As I mentioned there isn't a problem playing back 1080p, I just found the menus a bit slow. Guess I am used to running it on more beefy hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been testing a nice little box at work called the iMX6 Droidbox, available from amazon for aroind £70-80:

DroidBOX iMX6 Android 4.2 TV Box - Free Movies & TV with fully Loaded XBMC AirPlay UPnP DLNA IPTV Mini Web Streaming HTPC Player, Dual Core Amlogic 8726MX SoC Cortex A9 1Gb Ram, 8GB Internal Memory, WiFi, 100mbps LAN, 1080P 3D, Mali400 High Performanc

They seem pretty fool proof with XBMC pre installed and good, lag free streaming via both wired and wireless and they have a usb port for external storage.

Well worth the money imho.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Tbh honest the remotes they come with are sh1t i use a logitech wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad, far far better

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Why not go the htpc route I got a dell ultra thin PC tower for £70 from a well known auction site...that sits behind my 42 inch led tv it's very quiet and you can't see it

Then got hdmi graphics card and wireless keyboard

Install what I want and it has a DVD drive and plays in full hd

Just got too much stuff in that area, sat, cable, xbox, ps3, wii, amp, router, so a small dedicated box is better for me.

in the end i went for a rasberry pi ive still got a lot to learn but getting there have a few things to do am not sure of got icefilms nand navix and stuff like that F.T.V stuff not sure how to get mashup tv onto it ,can i use flash fxp? lol anyway ilmm still not 100% right but ill keep trying

Attachments

• repository.mash2k3-1.6.zip
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
Back