Wireless Routers that work on 20MB

harveybham

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi if anyone has got their 20MB and has a router which works well and gives the full 20MB can you tell me the make of your router please

im on 10mb and via my router i get 5MB max and nothing faster im looking to upgrade as my speed will be increasing soon as well

thanks

Im in the same boat m8 and am just about to ring netgear about it ;)

Ill let u know what they say

top man Paul ;)

they say if u get the latest firmware for the router u will get full 20meg :)
will try later

im using a linksys WRT54G and get full 20Mb with router connected, well its about 19-19.5 .

you should be ok with anay routher as most ethernet ports are 10/100 anyway. the only problem i can see is with adsl ones that have the built in modems

but luckely we dont have that problem

but id deffo get a netgear ;) top product

i have a box full of faulty linksys routers and they wont take them back!

it was the firmware
upgraded to latest and now hit 20 meg

Last Result:
Download Speed: 18248 kbps (2281 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 731 kbps (91.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:
Hi what do you guys think of this product ??

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/707547

Just need a card for my laptop but do you think it would work well for 20mb?

Seems a bit steep to me mate. You should be able to get a 54G for £30 and a wireless shouldn't be more than £22. I have a Netgear router myself though I am fan of Linksys as they are easy to configure and install. I am sure that if its a 54G router than it xfer data at a max of 54mbs through the wireless and a 100mbs through the wired connection.

it was the firmware
upgraded to latest and now hit 20 meg

Last Result:
Download Speed: 18248 kbps (2281 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 731 kbps (91.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I downloaded the new firmware and still only get 4mb lol, on 20meg config :( really lost on this one

Here are a few routers I am considering my self.

You need to look at the Throughput Wan - Lan speed

Netgear FVX538 can handle Throughput wan - lan 100
Belkin Pre-N router Throughput wan - lan 45.7
D-Link DI-624 Throughput wan - lan 44.4
Netgear WGU624 Throughput wan - lan 42.1
Buffalo AirStation Throughput wan - lan WZR-RSG54 37.1
Linksys WRT54GS Throughput wan - lan 36.4
D-Link DGL-4300 ?

I might go for the the Netgear Fvx538 due to Virgin currently trialling 50Mb broadband.

I've got a D-Link DI-634M but i'm not sure if I would recommend it or not.

Although all the websites and reviews tell you great things about this router the majority of these reviews are based on the Version 2 firmware which, unfortunately, is not compatible with UK version devices. Instead, we are stuck on V1.21 and apparently further updates are unlikely.

Apart from losing some of the functionality that the manufacturers claim in their marketing bumpf the router does actually perform quite well. It handles 20Mbit/sec WAN->LAN in either single or multiple streams without problem. As a test I tried running 100 streams concurrently and the router handled them just fine.

Worst point is that it takes this router 3-4 minutes to reboot when you make relatively minor config changes. Thats a real pain in the arse when you are trying to sort a problem using trial and error

Dont ever try and deal with D-Link tech support. You will be routed through to some Indian guy who barely speaks English and has no knowledge whatsoever about the function of a router. 30 Mins later and you'll come away poorer (Support call charges), without any resolution and probably ready to hang yourself from the nearest rafter !

I've got a D-Link DI-524 running Current Firmware Version: V2.04 and am getting slow speed with 20 meg, I've searched for a later version but can't find any .

Anybody know different or it's off to the shops for me

Cheers

Guys , when you all did your speed tests did you use direct connection to router or wireless ?

Ive got 20 meg and get the full whack when i go direct but only get around half with wireless , before i pull my hair out i just wanna confirm how everyone is connected when they test

Cheers

Back