Wii chip - GC2-DMS

jaffamuffin

New Member ++
Reaction score
Hi all.

Looking to chip my Wii as a Xmas present (to myself lol) anyway I got one of the first wiis in the UK and the data base says 100% chance my wii is GC2-DMS.

Reading around the forums it's not entirely clear so a few questions if I may:

1. Soft mod vs Chip - well I really think I would like to chip it. This is :
a) less likely to break (stop working due to updates etc)?
b) more likely to be compatible with all games / (even US/JAP?)
I have no problem breaking out the soldering iron. (have done PSX/xbox before)

2. Which chip!!??
the data base suggests these :
WiiKey - D2A, DMS, D2B
Argon - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2
D2Pro9 v2 (D2C2), v3 (D2E) - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E
Wasabi - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E
Wiizard - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E
D2Sun v1.31+, v3+ - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E
D2Lite - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E
WiiKey 2 - D2A, DMS, D2B, D2C, D2C2, D2E

Is there somewhere I can read the pros and cons of each?
At the time I did the Xbox the executor was considered by all to be the best, I can't seem to find the same sort of general consensus with Wii chips.

I'm willing to spend up to £50 to buy the chip.

3. Do I need to mess about with firmwares and things? Can I essentially leave my Wii as is, still accept updates, but switch the chip in and out as required?

4. Burning backups - just a regular ISO with DVD-R ? Do I need to patch the isos like with the some of the Dreamcast discs?

5. I hear a lot about SMG breaking thing, if I chip it, can I succesfully run an aquired backup of this with out any problems? (and continue to use my gave save from a genuine copy I have here?

6. Finally (for now) is there any way that my console can be bricked - i.e. totally dead and unrecoverable? (either through an update, or by me doing something wrong?)

Thanks for reading ... If some of these questions are total n00b and are answered somewhere I've missed, please direct me to the FAQ or whatever...

Cheers

Last edited:
hi m8 wiikey v1 would work with yours i have them here genuine £10 delivered ;)

we cant see the future nobody knows if your console can be bricked via an update, but i think it is highly doubtful, you doing something wrong the most you can do is ruin the dvd drive which are interchangable

yes you can use your genuine game save

you could use a wiikey v2 is you wish, there is more chance of future updates, it brick blocks games automatically, etc, loads more features, Wiikey 2 Announced! Welcome to the official website of Wiikey! if you wish to research further, i can get 1 for ya for £22 delivered

Sounds good. after a bit of more reading Wiikey sounded the best, but Wiikey 2 just came out a couple of months ago?

What's the main difference between them, I'm guessing it would be wiser to go for the newer version...

Just this question : 3. Do I need to mess about with firmwares and things? Can I essentially leave my Wii as is, still accept updates, but switch the chip in and out as required?

Or does the chip not bother running of genuine games / Wiiare/VC etc - in fact does a chip mean I can run my own collection of roms on the system?

Also, can I run backup US/Jap copies of games on my UK system (without issue?)

I see some people suggest hotglueing the chip into the centre of the main PCB where the hole is, and some suggest putting it in the corner on the black plastic... Which is the recommneded way for a wiikey2?

for wiikey 2 i usually put the chip dead in the center, same for d2pro9, yes u can run us/jap copies, a small number dont work, make sure u brick block them this stops your wii updating from a different region disc which bricks your wii, once its fitted it just adds the backup capability, you can still run ur originals, wiiware, vc's, you can install the homebrew channel if u want to run ur own roms

the newer wiikey has only been out for a few months, its based on its older version the D2PRO, had a few more capabilities and fixes problems with D2E drives

YAOSM- program a 12f683 PIC chip and have one of the best chips for Pre D2C chipsets.

Dirt cheap also.

YAOSM- program a 12f683 PIC chip and have one of the best chips for Pre D2C chipsets.

Dirt cheap also.

I saw this - what benefits would I get over a wiikey 2 - the wiikey2 ill be less than 25 and it's plug an play. Sure it might be fun to do a YAOSM.

Apparently there are NO eject issues with a YAOSM. With a Wiikey it can get eject issues depending on either how well the ground is connected / and or WHICH ground is used?

Also, would using the strands of cat5 be fine to hook it up, or should I use a cut up ide cable or should I use something else? Should I use a different type of cable for the power and the data connections?

AND, dismantling the Wii - I have a tri shaped bit, which fits in a magnetic screwdriver - will this cause any probs, or do I need to get a thin-shft screwdriver?

Last edited:
eject issues are only with D2E models, anything before d2e will work flawlessly, personally i recommend kynar wire but ide cable is the next best thing, you will need a proper triwing screwdriver a tri-bit wont work as its too thick, if you buy a wiikey 2 off me i could send you a triwing free ;)

personally i havent noticed any eject issues with wiikey2 only with d2pro9

You are talking £3 for a tri wing and I pay 44p for a 12f683 ;)

You are talking £3 for a tri wing and I pay 44p for a 12f683 ;)

Yeah, but I'd need to get all the parts to make a chip programmer, make the programmer, find all the files to program it, fit the chip, (is it literally just the chip that goes into the wii?)

Send me a couple of quid to cover costs and you can have one ;)

Back