wi-fi hardware??

kabzy mabzy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi peeps

having probs gettin me head round some wi-fi stuff.

basically got a ntl cable feed modem downstairs which i use on my laptop but got a pc upstairs with which i wanna wi-fi!!

is there anyway of goin wi-fi without having to connect my laptop to the net everytime i wanna use my pc?? is this what a wireless access point does? could some1 please explain further??

cheers

Kabzy

the pc needs a wifi pci card and downstairs you need a wifi router / access point / 4 port switch connect the modem to the router (if the modem has an ethernet conection) and away you go

thanks allroad but what exactly does the access point do?? with it do i still have to connect the router to my laptop or is it independent???

i am currently looking to order:
Linksys wireless-G pci adaptor
linksys wireless_G broadband Router WRT54G-UK

both from Amazon

ok cheers lads, much apprciated.

just one more quick fire question, when looking for a pci card, i am seeing a pci adaptor card and also a pci network card, which do i go for, for the above setup??

cheers dudes

m8 keep away from lynksys use netgear either their 54g or the 108g really easy to set up and very stable

you need a pci wireless card check netgear again

m8 check out www.pcworld.co.uk got special on at the mo;

BELKIN - 54G WIRELESS CABLE / DSL GATEWAY ROUTER
Model - BELKIN F5D7230UK4 Product Code - 886496 £35.24

BELKIN - 54G WIRELESS DESKTOP NETWORK CARD
Model - BELKIN F5D7000UK Product Code - 886359 £21.30

Cheers

cheers lads, took nilrem's advice and bought the belkin router and pci card, purely because they were the cheapest! work like a dream.

thanks again mateys!

Back