why no "0,1 2, p" options when power up N*L250?

poolfan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

having problems getting into the menu when I power up the modem - ambit 250.

it seems that there is no 2second delay prior to startiung the channel scan, so won't allow me to pick "p"

any help appreciated!!

Hi,

having problems getting into the menu when I power up the modem - ambit 250.

it seems that there is no 2second delay prior to startiung the channel scan, so won't allow me to pick "p"

any help appreciated!!

It depends, what happens if you let it run, is it just scanning.. just making sure it hasnt taken an update from vm.

If it hasnt, i used to have the same issue, you have to be real quick with this stuff sometimes.

Normally i keep my hyperterminal ready and as soon as i turn on modems power i click the icon that starts the hyperterminal. Give it a try am sure you will get in. Sometimes even a second is too much so need to be real fast.

Hope this helps.

i have Hyperterminal already running, then as soon as I apply power to modem, am pressing down on p

no pause, just boots the modem to scanning...

am I doing anything wrong?

i have Hyperterminal already running, then as soon as I apply power to modem, am pressing down on p

no pause, just boots the modem to scanning...

am I doing anything wrong?

dont keep pressing just tab it. Also if it does not work, let it run and tell us when it stops what you get at the end? That might help us in determining if the modem has an updated firmware.

Something you could try m8 also is to try access the modem via the 192.168.100.1 page and check the Boot Code Version if its something like 3.1.6d then it may have taken the new update that kills of the p option you can also check it via hyperterminal it you see it says:
Built By: alex in 2007 then its taken the update.

build is 2.1.6d - that the one with the update?

if 'P' option disabled, is the modem useless or is there a work around?

only have one power supply for modem, so need to plug out subbed modem for clone modem, will check the other message later

Sounds like your good to flash then m8 from that version but to double check it try check in hyperterminal to stop it scanning use this code then you can scroll up to to read the log.

to stop the scan use the Code:

cd \cm_hal
scan_stop
cd \

then press enter

Just copy and paste the code and right click and paste to host then press enter that should stop it from scanning.

tried to copy and paste this into hyperterminal - failed.

I was able to paste the commands into Notepad as a check??

it's as if no keyboard commands work when running Hyperterminal?

DOes that make any sense - if so, then could explain why I can't get into menu on modem

tried to copy and paste this into hyperterminal - failed.

I was able to paste the commands into Notepad as a check??

it's as if no keyboard commands work when running Hyperterminal?

DOes that make any sense - if so, then could explain why I can't get into menu on modem

Tell us exactly what happens if you let it keep running, is it numbers coming up or does it eventually stop. If it stops what does it say at the end. Very important so we know we trying to get a p option when its not possible. Best thing let us know this info as we could then suggest further.

Other than that give it a try again and try to be realy quick in pressing the p option.

if I leave modem powered up, it just scasn all the frequencies over and over, does not stop.

definitely hitting 'p' early enough, s I was just placing the power line into modem and pressing 'p'

could then see the two dots (..) for the 2secs, then the scanning woudl start.

any reason why Hyperterminal does not respond to keystrokes?

can it be a wonky modem?

are u using a max 232 cable??? i might be wrong but i think you will only get the p option if your connecting the modem with a max 232 cable...

I think you are probably trying to get the p option with an ethernet cable? Is this right?

no, using a max232 circuit board connecting to a serial to USB cable (altogether = max232 cable, yeah?), with cable driver installed on laptop,

no, using a max232 circuit board connecting to a serial to USB cable (altogether = max232 cable, yeah?), with cable driver installed on laptop,

and you also connected with ethernet cable from pc to modem? If no den do that too and give it try like dat being real quick with pressing P, if not den..

den set your ip address to 192.168.100.10/24 (255.255.255.0)

default gateway to 192.168.100.1

den open internet explorer and go to 192.168.100.1 see what comes up.

thanks. will try tomorrow.

what will the ethernet connection to modem provide over and above the max232 connection?

when I just used the max232 cable and types in modem IP into web browser, was able to see modem details ( h/w version # etc) - does this mean that the max232 is working okay?

thanks. will try tomorrow.

what will the ethernet connection to modem provide over and above the max232 connection?

when I just used the max232 cable and types in modem IP into web browser, was able to see modem details ( h/w version # etc) - does this mean that the max232 is working okay?
was the modem flash before??? also r u seeing the Enter '1', '2', or 'p' within 2 seconds or take default??? if u r the modem is fine is ur max that might be the problem.... check that rx and the tx wires connected to the correct pin on the modem and r making good contact with the pin... also make sure ur flow control in hyperterminal com port setting is set to none

may be way off here but if you are seeing frequency scans via a 232 connection, that tells me the modem is already flashed. otherwise you get the 'built by alex' error.... right?

try htp://192.168.100.1 in IE, do you see an ntl logo or does it ask you for login credentials?

i had this before where you could see the the connection to the 250 but were unable to press p. This was a setup issue with hyperterminal. I think i set flow control to hardware and not none. It was definately a setting issue with hyperterminal.

A couple of things as well, I found a wireless keyboard was hopeless, (I offer no explanation but when the only thing you change is keyboard and it works ......)

Secondly your receive pin is obviously fine but the transmit MAY be in question.

What I would do is power off the modem, hook up max232 and short the tx / rx pins on the modem but do it on the reverse where the solder is. This is now a loopback adapter which will test the connection to the modem. and type in hyperterm, if it echos back your wires are fine, also get a continuance test between the ground on maxboard and ground on modem when plugged in.

I have had modems flash WITHOUT VCC in, just using ground, receive and transmit. But you MUST be certain that the voltages are the same.

A couple of things as well, I found a wireless keyboard was hopeless, (I offer no explanation but when the only thing you change is keyboard and it works ......)
using laptop so Wireless keyboard not a problem

Secondly your receive pin is obviously fine but the transmit MAY be in question.

What I would do is power off the modem, hook up max232 and short the tx / rx pins on the modem but do it on the reverse where the solder is. This is now a loopback adapter which will test the connection to the modem. and type in hyperterm, if it echos back your wires are fine, also get a continuance test between the ground on maxboard and ground on modem when plugged in.

I have had modems flash WITHOUT VCC in, just using ground, receive and transmit. But you MUST be certain that the voltages are the same.

short the pins on the modem - you mean remove the other side of modem casing to expose the solder side of modem ciruit board Or do you mean the soder side of the max232 circuit board?

when you say type in hyperterm, in which application do you do this (i.e. I presume hyperterminal, but unsure)?

Will attempt what all repliers have suggested in a little while - problem is, only have one power unit for modem, so to test the spare, will lose internet access ;(

was the modem flash before??? also r u seeing the Enter '1', '2', or 'p' within 2 seconds or take default??? if u r the modem is fine is ur max that might be the problem.... check that rx and the tx wires connected to the correct pin on the modem and r making good contact with the pin... also make sure ur flow control in hyperterminal com port setting is set to none

yeah, I bought a pre-flashed modem, as hoad no max232 originally!!

am seeing the '1' '2' or 'p', so would seem that the modem is working, just not accepting/seeing the command when I press keyboard.

so, yes could be a problem with either hyperterminal (but using the correct settings, and able to view using hyperterminal, so I think unlikely) or it could be my max232 circuit board or conenctions between it and modem pins.

I;ve pulled out the pins and all look like they are fully down in plug, so should be making good contact with each pin on circuit boards?

Back