Who is the Stig??

Even if they do release who it is.. its gone on that long that we wont believe them... ummm.

i think its mahat magandi.. you never know..

Senna and number 9 went toe to toe many times. the one i remember was Monaco, they traded, then senna overtook. lap after lap No,9 was only inches from sennas rear wing. i think it was close to 10 laps. not once did the bump. though senna "brake tested" No,9 time and time again. by the look of it afterwards, ignoring No.9 pertinent "knackered" look( after a race anyway), they loved it, every minute.

personally, i miss the Turbos. 1500cc with Oval ceramic pistons and close to 1000bhp in qualifying trim. much closer to 800 for the races though. traction control, active suspension. and two of the best drivers F1 has, or will, ever see. much of the ceramics used in today's engines, trace their birth to these engines. even so Honda used (oval) ceramic piston crowns and ceramic valves, in the NR500cc four stroke GP bike of the early 80's, which also revved to 24000 rpm. so i guess that's their real birth. interestingly, it was a time when Ferrari were less successful (much less). something that seems to happen, when F1 gets really good. well in my view anyway.

Yeh its funny why that happens.lol
Did you see the programs available on i player about Graham Hill and Jim Clark?
I have to say i have maximum respect for Hill as he was a quick driver but also a bloody good bloke.
The scenes with Hill, Stewart and Clark were very funny considering they were rivals.

Yeh its funny why that happens.lol
Did you see the programs available on i player about Graham Hill and Jim Clark?
I have to say i have maximum respect for Hill as he was a quick driver but also a bloody good bloke.
The scenes with Hill, Stewart and Clark were very funny considering they were rivals.

I think Ferrari's problems are down to the fact, by nature, they don't innovate. what they do, and very well too, is develop the trick of others. so as new rules kick in Ferrari drop back. if the rules stay, in place, long enough. they develop things to a, high level. therefore regaining their place at, or close to, the top.

I didn't see the program. but i think the world could learn from the relationships, between the drivers in those days. they drove, for the most part, incredibly dangerous machines. on some of the most dangerous tracks ever seen. their rivalry was just as big as we see in F1 now. yet they remained, just "ordinary" blokes, when they were off the track.
Stewart, perhaps more than any other drive, turned F1 into what it is today. he strove for safety. both of the cars, and tracks. and for the spectators too, something not always mentioned.

I love to see Stewart and Surtees talk. whilst i agree with everything Stewart has achieved. its hard not to see the point Surtees makes. he maintains that the rules, safety related, have taken away the "man" from the equation. he considers the drivers before the changes to be "True" drivers. men who put their lives on the line to go fast, in cars that were as likely to kill them as win.
he may well have a point. in his day you had a car for F1, but would also race cars in other classes, during the same season. each car was a different proposition to drive. yet it was the same guys who won in all classes. so it could be said that the F1 drivers of 40-50 years ago, unlike today's drivers, were far more versatile. as Surtees won both F1 and 500cc bike championships. its hard to argue with his "versatility" comments.
for good or bad, we could never return to the "Surtees model". if we tried to do it today, it would be viewed in much the same way as a, Base jumping competition, where the competitors were not allowed to use a parachute.

QUOTEI didn't see the program. but i think the world could learn from the relationships, between the drivers in those days. they drove, for the most part, incredibly dangerous machines. on some of the most dangerous tracks ever seen. their rivalry was just as big as we see in F1 now. yet they remained, just "ordinary" blokes, when they were off the track.
Stewart, perhaps more than any other drive, turned F1 into what it is today. he strove for safety. both of the cars, and tracks. and for the spectators too, something not always mentioned.QUOTE

That's the part that got me.
Modern F1 drivers very rarely communicate with each other and their relationship is often dry.
In the program they make it quite clear that Graham was the ring leader of their little gang.lol.
When he got frustrated with Colin Chapman and Lotus and the fact that Clarke was out performing him, he threw a massive party with all invited.

However the best story was told by Jackie Stewart who had a bad crash which Hill helped in saving his life.
He crashed into a field and landed upside down in a pool of petrol which could ignite at any moment but was also very corrosive.
Hill gave up his own race to help pull him out.
When they got him into the back of a farm trailer a couple of nuns appeared only to see a young race driver being stripped by an older racing driver with a dastardly and mutley moustache.
Feckin Priceless.

Back