who has a parrot on here

jonnyhomes99

Member ++
Reaction score
anyone got a parrot if so what do they feed it as a treat i just got it talking today lol

we have a member named Tina on here,she has a African Grey parrot

anyone got a parrot if so what do they feed it as a treat i just got it talking today lol

Perhaps you could ask it what it would like then ????????? lol

My dad has an African Grey called Henry.
He gives it peanuts still in the shells, as it likes undoing the shell to get to the nut. Amazing to watch it..........great dexterity.

Cur1y

are parrots hard to look after i would love one also is it like dogs in the way that its better to have them from a young age.

i had a budgie once lol it was a nasty bleeder would bite me like crazy if i tried to handle it.

how much we looking at for a parrot then i mean i dont want a big one african greys are a nice size i think. or maybe a cockatoo.

are parrots hard to look after i would love one also is it like dogs in the way that its better to have them from a young age.

i had a budgie once lol it was a nasty bleeder would bite me like crazy if i tried to handle it.

how much we looking at for a parrot then i mean i dont want a big one african greys are a nice size i think. or maybe a cockatoo.

They don't go cheep Sargie (that's buggies lol)
My dad paid £400 about 12 years ago. Don't know what they go for now.
He got his "second hand" and it had been mistreated before.
I think Henry has issues !!!!!
The bar steward flew at me once and got that bit of skin below my eye and was flapping away whilst holding it in it's beak !!!!
I'd have rung it's feckin neck if I'd caught it !!!

maybe a bit expensive the grey there are other breeds that are cheaper i think ill leave it a few years till the kids are older.

I have 2 african greys. The best pet in the world . They are very demanding and need lots of interaction. They average in price £500-£700 each. They require lots of fruit and there is a variety of seed mixes but only from a reputable pet shop. You have to watch what you feed them as certain things are deadly ie : Avocado & chocolate. It is best to go to a Parrot website to find more info here's a good place to start http://www.parrot-link.co.uk/ Any questions just feel free :)

I have 2 african greys. The best pet in the world . They are very demanding and need lots of interaction. They average in price £500-£700 each. They require lots of fruit and there is a variety of seed mixes but only from a reputable pet shop. You have to watch what you feed them as certain things are deadly ie : Avocado & chocolate. It is best to go to a Parrot website to find more info here's a good place to start http://www.parrot-link.co.uk/ Any questions just feel free :)

what about smaller cheaper breeds i read on the site naradbela posted that there is a breed more suited to children due to its size and nature.

Senegal / Meyers Parrots

Pros - Two of the most readily available African parrots. Their smaller size being less intimidating and safer for children. Less demanding than the larger parrots and a lot cheaper. Their size also makes them more suitable for the smaller home.
Expect to pay £150 - £275 for hand-reared birds.
Cons - Although these birds may pick up a few words and learn to whistle a few tunes their vocabulary will never match the larger parrots

This is true sargieboy. A large parrot is a big commitment and patience but the rewards are fantastic. My two talk very well and there mimicing skills are by far brilliant. Senegal are fantastic pets as well there great with kids (as long as there handled with care)but still quite exspensive but woth it if you put the effort in. I would reccomend bird insurance as the slightest chill can be fatal :( Which can be devastating for the whole family. But if you want a parrot senegals are a good place to start. You could always settle for a parrakeet i have a couple and they are great. They dont say anything just make a few squaks here and there :).But there pretty to look at and again great with kids. I have 1 plum headed and 2 rossella bournes.Just a few ideas to knock around :)

This is true sargieboy. A large parrot is a big commitment and patience but the rewards are fantastic. My two talk very well and there mimicing skills are by far brilliant. Senegal are fantastic pets as well there great with kids (as long as there handled with care)but still quite exspensive but woth it if you put the effort in. I would reccomend bird insurance as the slightest chill can be fatal :( Which can be devastating for the whole family. But if you want a parrot senegals are a good place to start. You could always settle for a parrakeet i have a couple and they are great. They dont say anything just make a few squaks here and there :).But there pretty to look at and again great with kids. I have 1 plum headed and 2 rossella bournes.Just a few ideas to knock around :)

cool what sorta money am i looking at for parakeets then? perhaps best to start with easier birds anyway as im inexperienced and work my way up. i want a bird that can be handled and stuff at least not fussed about talking for now i can move up later when i have more experience.

Hi Sargieboy i would have replied via the vb pager but it says im not allowed ? So i will do it this way. First you need a cage . A couple of things to think about how much room do you have for one,Is this cage just for this bird or will it be used for future birds? The hieght isnt as important as the width here is a place to start for cages http://www.ukparrotcages.co.uk/ variuos prices but it will give you an idea. Food isnt that expensive say £5 for seed mix and depending on how much friut you feed them £5-£10 i would give themas much fruit as you can as that is what they would natrually eat :) It is alway good advice to get a book on the bird you get or have a google on the net just to see if the bird you are going to get suffers from calcium defficiancy which mean you would need an additive just to top it up . African greys are known for this.This is a good site for finding out ailments etc. http://www.avianweb.com/index.htm Toys depend they can be £5-£50 . Most important the bird. I would first visit your local vet and ask if they can reccommend a breeder they usually do know some places. If they dont know anywhere have a shop about and check all you pet stores out. You want a bird that is young so if you find a pet shop or breeder ask how old they are . 20 weeks is a good figure. The younger the more trusting it will be to you.Never buy a bird that has its wings clipped its cruel and taking away something like flight from a bird is not right.So lets get to the figure.

1: Cage around £50-£100
2: Birds = Plum heade around £80-£100
Rossella boune around £45-£60
Ringneck around £35-£60
rossella red around £60-£80

And these are just a few. It is important to shop about as prices can vary from £20-£30 so all in all if you say a sum of £250 to get you going you well on the way. Hope this helps any questions just ask :) Now im going to figure out why it wont let me use this vb pager ??

i would love to have a parrot but i'm allergic to feathers :(

one time my wife said "we could still get one and you could just take medicine for it"
???????????????? SLAP!

i would love to have a parrot but i'm allergic to feathers :(

one time my wife said "we could still get one and you could just take medicine for it"
???????????????? SLAP!

You can buy filters that remove all the danger (dan--ger) from the air well 99% of it . It might help you so you to can enjoy the wonders of owning a parrot :)

Fostered a blue and gold macaw for 2 years before finding a final home with an elderly couple..
It would do literally anything for pine nuts. It also went mad when you sprayed it with warm water in an atomiser (in a good way).

Not recommended, but it also liked to share my ham and pineapple pizza after a good night out (me, not the parrot), bread, tomato, cheese, pineapple, the lot. Just a small bit. 'Spose it broke the diet up a bit and stopped it from getting bored..

went to a local pet shop today and the had a pair of rumps for £75 a decent cage was £99 that was nice and big and came with toys and accesories. so with food and stuff will cost around £200.

would you recomend buying a pair? they looked really close to each other so i guess that is why they wont sell seperate. would you recomend buying a pair or will it reduce the chances of me bonding with them?

parrots shouldn't be pets they should be free flying around the jungles, have you seen how they catch and deliver them to other countries, each to there own but im not a fan of the parrot/bird trade.

im not having a go at anyone but its an open forum and my feelings on the matter are as important as anybody else's and i feel i need to say my bit which in a nut shell is i don't think its right, (me personally, what you think or do is totally up to you.)

I HAVE A PARROT AFRICAN GREY CALLED CHARLIE AGE 2..HATCH CERTIF WITH ALSO HAND REARD VERY TAME.. TALKS LOAD.tells kids to be good.GO TO SKOOL..want a kiss.SHOUTS LIVERPOOL!!!.go 2 sleep now.shouts kids nameS then SAYS WHAT!!!!ELLO BABY, AND .WHISLES THE GREAT ESCAPE LOADS LOADS MORE OUT OF ALL THE PARROTS AFRICAN GREYS R THE BEST...VERY TIEING THOE ITS JUST BURPED AS AM TYPING...IAM LOOKING AT SELLING MY GREY BUT WANT IT TO GO TO GOOD HOME...WITH CAGE 450......LIVERPOOL

parrots shouldn't be pets they should be free flying around the jungles, have you seen how they catch and deliver them to other countries, each to there own but im not a fan of the parrot/bird trade.

im not having a go at anyone but its an open forum and my feelings on the matter are as important as anybody else's and i feel i need to say my bit which in a nut shell is i don't think its right, (me personally, what you think or do is totally up to you.)

not all birds are bred abroad then brought over here in those conditions although i dont denie it goes on. i will be buying HAND reared birds from a reputable breeder and they wont be sat in a cage all day they will have the run of the house.

horses should run free but they are kept in stables. dogs should run free like mother wolf in the wild but they are kept in houses gardens or dog runs. fish should be in the sea lakes or rivers but they are kept in tanks and ponds.

Back