who has a parrot on here

parrots shouldn't be pets they should be free flying around the jungles, have you seen how they catch and deliver them to other countries, each to there own but im not a fan of the parrot/bird trade.

im not having a go at anyone but its an open forum and my feelings on the matter are as important as anybody else's and i feel i need to say my bit which in a nut shell is i don't think its right, (me personally, what you think or do is totally up to you.)

I disagree to a certain extent
if the bird (or any other animal) has been bred in captivity then there is no cruelty involved
yes I have seen those programmes on tv and its sad but u just have to hope u dont get one thats be caught like that

u would know as the poor thing would be flapping around the cage scared out of its wits

i never said all and i didnt force my views on anyone, its just my opinion. if you want one then go ahead and those that have them good luck to you i never once said any of you where cruel or wrong to own or want them, i said in my eyes its wrong much like many members on here who go on about the owning of so called dangerous dogs i disagree with them but i dont force my views on them.

im my eyes it aint right but as said what you think or do is down to you but if you do get one make sure it has come from a good source.

its no big deal lots of people dont agree on whats right or wrong or whats best or not,

I'm am doing lots of research and as i said i will make sure i buy from a reputable BREEDER not from an importer. and thommohawk i never said you were forcing your views on me. and i like you am entitled to reply to a post.

any animal which i buy shall have lots of love and care and will not suffer in anyway. and i know you never said it would. i am not jumping in feet first i will make sure i am certain of my ability to give a parakeet a more than adequate home and care.

I used to have a Blue Fronted Amazon Parrot, fabulous pets but they do need a lot of attention. They like to be involved as part of the family and really need to be treated as if they are one of your children.
As Satnav said DO NOT feed them Avacado as it will kill them. Chocolate is not advised as they cannot digest it properly but very small amounts will not harm them. Other than that plenty of fresh fruit and Parrot mix from the pet shop, which should be change regularly not left until eaten (as they leave empty husks in the mix which makes it look like they have not been eating but I assure you they have).
For treats almost anything. Our bird used to love eating whatever we were eating at meal times and he absolutely loved Curry! steak and chicken (particularly a drumstick because when he had finished the meat he could chew the bone.)
Remember to include toys and things like rope and wood in his cage for him to play with and chew. The chewing will help stop his beak from growing too long. Also make sure his cage is large enough for him to strech his wings and jump and climb about.
Hope this has helped.

parrots shouldn't be pets they should be free flying around the jungles, have you seen how they catch and deliver them to other countries, each to there own but im not a fan of the parrot/bird trade.

im not having a go at anyone but its an open forum and my feelings on the matter are as important as anybody else's and i feel i need to say my bit which in a nut shell is i don't think its right, (me personally, what you think or do is totally up to you.)

You should only buy british bred parrots ,And they should have hatch certs and be registered. I DONT THINK ANYBODY here would want any harm to come to any pet be it a bird, cat ,dog etc. The importing of parrots is certainly wrong and very cruel, You should allow some free time for birds just as you would a dog or cat. Let it fly it will make it strong and importantly very happy. :)

went to a local pet shop today and the had a pair of rumps for £75 a decent cage was £99 that was nice and big and came with toys and accesories. so with food and stuff will cost around £200.

would you recomend buying a pair? they looked really close to each other so i guess that is why they wont sell seperate. would you recomend buying a pair or will it reduce the chances of me bonding with them?

Good price perfect for starting. Are they young sargieboy, If so you will have a chance to bond with them, The older they are the harder it will be . They could grow to be a breeding pair. My advice is handle them a lot dont force them they will come if the feel happy and secure. Im sure you will enjoy them. Do a bit of research about them find other owners on the net. :)

a little of topic but.....

a few years back i used to have show pigions and tumbler pigions

those small 1's which go very high and then tumble ...they look wicked

i had a 2 pairs of indian fantails 1 pair was white and the other pair they were white with brown / bronze streaks / spots

i liked pigions even when i was a little kid

but sadly had to get rid of them because of neighbours complaining

but im lookin for a decent pair of parrots

i like the big amazons but aint got the cash 4 them

so im after some small 1's which are a decent price willing to pay round about £300 to £400 for pair and cage .etc

im really after the 1's that talk quite abit

any suggestions?

a little of topic but.....

a few years back i used to have show pigions and tumbler pigions

those small 1's which go very high and then tumble ...they look wicked

i had a 2 pairs of indian fantails 1 pair was white and the other pair they were white with brown / bronze streaks / spots

i liked pigions even when i was a little kid

but sadly had to get rid of them because of neighbours complaining

but im lookin for a decent pair of parrots

i like the big amazons but aint got the cash 4 them

so im after some small 1's which are a decent price willing to pay round about £300 to £400 for pair and cage .etc

im really after the 1's that talk quite abit

any suggestions?

If you really want a talking parrot you should opt for a African grey there isnt another bird that can touch it. You will probably have to put another £150 to your target but it will be worth it. A bit of advise not all African greys will talk some just dont want to and if you do get one get one for the right reasons not that it just can talk as teaching it takes a lot of time and patience, Not that i am saying that you will :) Trust me they are a bird for life with the average life expectancy of 50 years. :)

I breed African grey parrots. At the moment I have a hen sitting on 2 eggs, I'm expecting her to lay a third before she starts to incubate them.
They aren't always fertile so I won't know until next month whether I have chicks or not.

English bred, hand reared parrots are the ONLY birds you should buy. If you see an African grey advertised in a shop or by a breeder for less than 500 quid be vary wary mate. I wouldn't buy a smaller parrot just because you don't have enough money either. African greys are the kings of the talkers and are worth saving up for.

Also, I'd advise you to buy a young bird and not one that has had a previous owner. You need to be able to put your imprint on your parrot.

Next, as soon as you have your bird buy a feather tether harness. Get it used to wearing it and it eliminates the need to have your birds wings clipped which is in my opinion very cruel. With the harness your parrot can go walkies with you and fly free to an extent too.

And join a parrot forum mate, you'll get a hell of a lot of good advice, and a decent breeder or two on them. I'd recommend http://www.parrotlinks.co.uk/

On the treats issue, AVOID peanut in the shell like the plague, Monkey nuts can contain a fungus which can trigger Aspergilosis a fungal infection in parrots.
Try peanut butter on toast, honey on toast, pine nuts, & palm nuts.

@ fes, If you really can't afford a Grey I'd suggest Senegal parrots or Conure's. They can both be chatty (no guarantee though). Conures do sometimes turn out to be a bit nippy but Senegals are lovely birds. I know a great breeder of Senegals & Conures in the North west.

Here's a couple of pics of previous babies from my album...
[URL=http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image4luk4.jpg][/URL]

[URL=http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image6lwo1.jpg][/URL]

Last edited:
At the moment I have 3 Senegal parrots born just this week :Clap:

Here's a couple of vids of them.. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBJxa9VUeg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUTV6TnFkRI[/ame]

also one thing to remember is the mess they make, they chew anything so if you leave them out say goodbye to something and not forgetting the dust they create if your asmatic it could be a problem
and last of all they stink but then you get used to that oh and they can out live you if your already a oldie they can live to 100
just my rant :)

We have an african grey 3 year old called sparky - does not shut up - we feed him everything & what he likes he eats - what he does not he chucks - fav is chips though>

also one thing to remember is the mess they make, they chew anything so if you leave them out say goodbye to something and not forgetting the dust they create if your asmatic it could be a problem
and last of all they stink but then you get used to that oh and they can out live you if your already a oldie they can live to 100
just my rant :)

1: Yes they make a mess if left unsupervised. But then again so does a 5 year old child, and an african grey's intelligence has been measured to around the same as a child of that age.

2: Feather dust is only a problem if the Parrot isn't sprayed with a mister occasionally. Most birds enjoy it too.

3: They certainly do not stink. In fact there is little or no smell to a Parrot.

4: Very few birds ever reach 100 years old. The Senegal Parrot lives to between 30-40 years, and a grey averages 70 years.

The first three observations made in your "rant" only become anywhere near true when a parrot has a crap owner mate. Parrots aren't for everybody, and they are very demanding pets. Too many folk buy them on a whim.

End of lesson:proud:

Last edited:
1: Yes they make a mess if left unsupervised. But then again so does a 5 year old child, and an african grey's intelligence has been measured to around the same as a child of that age.

2: Feather dust is only a problem if the Parrot isn't sprayed with a mister occasionally. Most birds enjoy it too.

3: They certainly do not stink. In fact there is little or no smell to a Parrot.

4: Very few birds ever reach 100 years old. The Senegal Parrot lives to between 30-40 years, and a grey averages 70 years.

The first three observations made in your "rant" only become anywhere near true when a parrot has a crap owner mate. Parrots aren't for everybody, and they are very demanding pets. Too many folk buy them on a whim.

End of lesson:proud:

agree my 2 red rumps bath every now and then less often now its winter and they dont create any dust im asthmatic and have many allergys they dont bother me at all.

they do not stink although i would imagine if they were not cared for properly they would.

mine chuck seed all over but it is hoovered up in seconds.

Back